↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > New 110 td5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Seem to have mislaid the pics of the completed roof, must be around here somewhere.

While I work up the mojo to remove the wings soni can paint the bulkhead I sanded, prepped and painted all the interior panels. There was a mix of greys and black but now all black which I think will look quite smart once fitted and against the dark grey interior and light grey headlining.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #908634 20th Jun 2021 4:38pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
All doors off now ready for prep and paint.
Post #909569 26th Jun 2021 5:17pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Oops, pressed the wrong button.

Click image to enlarge

Hinges sanded and ready for paint

Click image to enlarge

One replaced the pins in the rear hinges which were very slack.

Click image to enlarge

Makes a huge difference

Next jobs:

Prime and paint hinges and mirrors.
Finish prep on front doors
Prep rear door
Then some paint
Post #909571 26th Jun 2021 5:21pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Hinges and mirrors now painted - satin black
Doors sanded and masked ready for paint (starting with the inside, will do the outside at the same time as the rest of the car)

Click image to enlarge

In the makeshift spray booth

Click image to enlarge

Roof and sides coming off. Replacement roof and window panels going in their place.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Set to finishing prep on the tub sides. Rivet heads were a pain so I decided to drill them all out, sand the panel then replace with new ones. The air riveter earned its money again Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

There was a little rust on the inside of the top of the bulkhead so the screen came off to investigate. Luckily it was just a leaky seal and nothing too drastic. Overall the bulkhead is in great shape.

Click image to enlarge

When it stops raining it will be more sanding on the tub and bonnet then wait for a nice day to do the paint.
Post #912052 12th Jul 2021 4:28pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Took advantage of some dry weather and a visitor to help and wheeled the car out of the garage to fit the roof.

Click image to enlarge

Then tucked it back up so the rest of the reassembly could take place.

Click image to enlarge

Fingers crossed it should all just be bolting stuff back together now plus a little wiring (work light, light bar and reversing camera) and a splash more dinitrol on the main chassis rails. I am planning on seeking out a window fitter to refit the windscreen, rear glass and alpine lights. It will also need to wait until it comes out of the garage for the new wheels to go on as I already have to lift it up by about a foot to get it out even now with loads of air let out of the tyres.
Post #915458 4th Aug 2021 3:45pm
L110CDL

England 
Your certainly moving forward, it was white the last time i saw it and it's looking more like a 110 csw now Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #915510 4th Aug 2021 8:55pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Beavering away on lots if little jobs but this has taken a back seat as I prepared the other one for my 4 day coast to coast trip last weekend.

Roof and sides and screen now all bolted in.
Rock sliders re fitted.
Floors all bolted to sills with new SS fasteners.
Going to leave the rear seats out for a bit so just refitted the front seatbelts.
Sunroof in. Glass to frame seal was good so just added a little flexible sealant to the frame to roof seal for good measure.

Click image to enlarge

Lots of time spent on the wiring. Fitted new superseal connectors to all lights. Had a few niggles to sort but all working now.
Trying to reinstate the factory switches and wiring has been a challenge. For some reason the previous owner disconnected them, fitted Carling switches and new wiring for the fog lights and nowt for the rear screen and wiper.
Also appears that it was either built without one or the reverse switch has been removed. On the list to tackle next. Light and switch on order.

Click image to enlarge

Big win for today has been fitting the rear and alpine windows. I was planning on getting a window fitter to do it but I was inspired by some YouTube videos so gave it a go myself. Ordered a tool from Amazon last night and set to this afternoon.

Lube and tool:

Click image to enlarge

And the finished job:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Very pleased with that. I had read some horror stories about fitting the alpine windows but it only too about 15 mins per side.

I fitted the tint film myself as well while the glass was out. I used a pre cut set from Ebay. Alpines were tricky but the flat rear glass was straightforward..

Windscreen next, then rear door and glass followed by fitting the doors. Hopefully ready for an MOT soon Thumbs Up
Post #922891 26th Sep 2021 7:34pm
L110CDL

England 
Nice job you done fitting them Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #923279 28th Sep 2021 9:36pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Windscreen now in. Interesting job on your own but got there in the end. Liberal application of lube again.

The Terrafirma rear corner guards were OK on the NS but OS had the wheel carrier brackets in the way so I had to make up some spacers so it would fit nicely. These are now painted black and the step installed.

Click image to enlarge

Next job was fitting the new door rubbers and then on to the doors themselves. Wheeled the car out of the garage again to get a bit more room.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Rear doors fitted and aligned as best they can be. Another interesting job on your own, Adjusted the strikers and a bit more fettling and I am now very pleased with the fit. They shut well and the seal is in contact all the way round. Definitely a far cry from the shocking gaps in my other 110 Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Front doors next. Bumper painted and ready to fit. And Rear door so I can then fit the final bit of glass. MOT booked for Monday. fingers crossed.
Post #925431 12th Oct 2021 3:21pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Top work, looking sharp 👏
Post #925468 12th Oct 2021 10:13pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Thank you. Glad it is finally coming together. Was looking through photos yesterday and I can't believe that it was this time last year I started to strip it. That was definitely NOT in the plan.

I should get a few more jobs done this week and there is no reason why it should not pass MOT on Monday. Then I can drive it around a bit and decide which one I want to keep. It has been so long since I have driven this one I can't remember how it drives Smile
Post #925488 13th Oct 2021 10:44am
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Front doors are now on. Rear door fitted and latch fettling in progress - it was catching quite badly no matter how much I tried to adjust it. The grinder has come out now. Pics to follow.

Rear steps fitted and on these pics you can also see the Wipac LED fog and reverse lights I managed to source on eBay. All wired up to original switches and wiring. I have no idea why the previous owner used new switches, didn't have a reverse light and ran new cabling for the fog lights. Much cleaner and neater now.

New reg number also on now for the first time.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Bumper has had a spruce up and will be going on later today. Then fit the rear window and wheel carrier.

Final job for the MOT should be replacing the wheels (will put the Wolf / Goodyear MT/R on for now).
Post #925632 14th Oct 2021 2:58pm
L110CDL

England 
Looking good, will keep my fingers crossed for you on Monday Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #925689 14th Oct 2021 9:17pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Ready to go for MOT

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Thankfully it passed Thumbs Up

First time driving it in about a year. Quite a difference to the 200tdi. Seems to go really well.

Still a little play in the drive train somewhere. Not the half shafts or drive flanges. Prop UJs seem OK. Suppose that must mean one (or all) of the diffs.

Bit of fettling required on the front door seals as they let water in near the upper hinge.
Make up some new plastic water guard things then fit the freshly painted door cards.
Post #926236 18th Oct 2021 6:32pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Door cards now all fitted with home made water shedders behind.

Click image to enlarge

Second hand rear wiper motor I bought was kaput so had to buy a new one. That is now fitted, wired and functioning correctly. Also reinstated the rear washer. Some of the joins and non-return valves were leaking a little so replaced while the roof lining was still off.

I have opted to keep the Mantec RAI on it rather than fit a new snorkel. The new owner can decide if it stays or goes.

Click image to enlarge

Sunday's job was fitting the rear seats. This was more of a pain that I was anticipating but al sorted in then end a looking quite good. I decided to not install carpet. Perhaps not as quiet or cosy but much better for when the inside gets wet. I have OE rubber mats to go in which also look good I recon.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Just waiting on some rivnuts so I can refit the rear mirror then the headlining can go back in, then side window trims and finishing touches in the rear load-space. Will also have to re-wire the courtesy light as the loom to the ECU etc. is missing.

That should pretty much be it then. I have a Hannibal rack to go on it, freshly powder coated so it should look smart. The decision on wheels can be up to the new owner as well - Wolf with Goodyear MT/R as on the pics or 33 x 12.5 x 15 modulars with BFG MT.

New clutch was just fitted to my Red 200tdi 110 so I can now think about what is needed to bring that one up to the condition I would like Smile Thumbs Up
Post #928064 1st Nov 2021 12:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>