↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > New 110 td5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
New 110 td5
Baking hot drive to Canterbury in the 90 following a quick trip to Beaulieau on Sunday and have just bought this:

Click image to enlarge

2005, 200k on the clock. Few bits to sort but a good, solid truck. I like it Smile

I have something to fit my new roof rack to now. Not quite sure that is the right way round and my wife certainly thinks I am bonkers.
Post #848995 10th Aug 2020 10:28am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Looks good, have fun with it. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Must have been a station wagon to start with which someone bought new rear panels for and then cut holes in for the door. Seems a curious way to do it. Or is the door within the original cut profile of the rear window and it's actually an original panel?
Post #849002 10th Aug 2020 10:50am
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Can't quite work that out. All ply lined in the back so couldn't see much in that respect. I has been converted for overlanding at some point so I think perhaps replacement sides.

I will ferret around some more and post some more pics and details once I collect it in a couple of weeks.
Post #849004 10th Aug 2020 11:08am
L110CDL

England 
Nice buy, will look forward with the progress of the 110 Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #849193 10th Aug 2020 8:32pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Collected the new truck yesterday. Good drive back from Canterbury. Runs smooth, plenty of power and even quiet (well, compared with my 90). It had the transfer box rebuilt by Ashcroft some while back with different ratio so cruises very well. The speedo does under read by about 10% though.

First jobs this morning - Hoover and clear out the old sticky sweets then fit the optimil removable boss and momo wheel I picked up on Ebay last week. Luckily I also kept my Ardcase pedal lock when I sold the 300 and that fits this one as well.

I think it started life as a double cab, at least that is what all the insurance places said when I tried to sort that out. It does have a plywood bulkhead behind the second row but no metal one. The sides also appear to be SW sides with no class and an ally panel boted over them. Seems an odd way to do it but hey-ho.

Need to use it a bit now and decide what stuff I want to change. I am not that keen on the black bonnet but the rest I quite like. The RX8 seats are comfy but I would like to be able to get to the under seat boxes more easily. Definitely a better driving experience with these in over the std defender ones. The raptor paint was not that well prepped so is peeling off in places. Shame as I like the finish and it is very tough and scratch resistant.

Having trouble uploading pics, will do some shortly.
Post #852872 29th Aug 2020 9:41am
bodstruck

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #852875 29th Aug 2020 9:44am
L110CDL

England 
Thanks for the pic's and a very interesting interior, i do like the speaker set up i the front Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #853430 31st Aug 2020 7:56pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
The back is a bit of a state. The timber is not well fitted and rattles around like heck. Needs to all come out and start again.

I like the front speaker set up too. The concept is good but again not that well fitted.

Took it for another run out this weekend towing a newly acquired trailer setup. Needs bushes and ball joint on the rear a frame but ither than that seems good. Kids enjoyed driving it around the field.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #853461 31st Aug 2020 9:04pm
L110CDL

England 
You have got a good camp set up going there Thumbs Up

At least if you take it out, when you put it back in, it will be done properly Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #853477 31st Aug 2020 9:46pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
bodstruck wrote:

I think it started life as a double cab, at least that is what all the insurance places said when I tried to sort that out

Put the VIN number into www.vindecoderz.com & it'll give you the original build spec Thumbs Up
Post #853508 1st Sep 2020 6:43am
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Lent it to me brother last weekend so we do do a day landing together on Salisbury plain. All worked well. Definitely needs either bushes or ball joint on the a frame.

Click image to enlarge

Lots of slap dash work on it but it will be nice to steadily fix all the niggles. Job one was to sort out the dash rattles. Both the centre console and instrument binnacle were pretty much hanging off. Dash top and other bits off, some new screws and fashion some new bit where plastic had broke off and it is all back together and rattle free.
Took the opportunity to install the ram mount while I was at it. Just bought a 7" tablet to use with view ranger while offroad. Not sure I am that sold on the setup, time will tell. Hopefully it is solid.

Click image to enlarge

On the to do list:
A frame ball joint
Remove the 2" receiver (welded on Sad )

Click image to enlarge

Remove the tank guard (only held on at the back with zip ties)
Clear out the back and remove the wooden bulkhead

Then consider what to do about the paint. It all seems solid with little rust. There was water coming in at the front and I was worried it may have rusted badly behind the dash but not bad at all:

Click image to enlarge

Needs a bit of cleaning up but will sort that. End of the bulkhead seal is one culprit, as is the window rubber.

Click image to enlarge

Made a start at the back. Shoddy ply door lining off revealing a sound rear door.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Been gathering stuff in the meantime. Got some bfg m/t to go on in place of the cracked a/t. Also picked up some wolf rims last night which I think will go well.
I have a full external roll cage with a Hannibal rack to mount on it.
Also a southdown tank guard with removable tow hitch. I like this a lot.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #856668 18th Sep 2020 2:18pm
L110CDL

England 
Coming on with the bits that you find needing doing, the windscreen rubber looks as if it should be at the top of the list with winter on the way Sad

It's good that your finding good bodywork under all the shoddy work that has been done on it Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #856731 18th Sep 2020 8:16pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Found a dodgy small repair at the base of the passenger side B pillar. Other than that, no horror stories yet Smile

Spent a bit of time pulling stuff out. Seems a shame as someone clearly spent a long time doing it, they perhaps could have been a little more careful in the construction. Self drilling self tappers seem to have been his favourite fixing
The timber on the inside was secured with screws fixed through from the outside of the car Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And a nice pile of timber left over along with the amp, sub and a wad of crappy cabling. Twin core flex was the wiring of choice.

Click image to enlarge
Post #857132 20th Sep 2020 9:00pm
L110CDL

England 
All that hard work getting that stuff out has certainly paid off, it looks so much better now Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #857294 21st Sep 2020 8:00pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Maybe stripping out all the stuff helped me hear better at the rear. Was coming home and the back end sounded dreadful. Got on the drive and gave the osr wheel a tug - it was very loose. Think it had something to do with the wheel bearing:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

New stub axle, hub and bearings now fitted. There seemed to be some play in the drive flanges so i ordered somenof those as well. When I pulled out the half shafts I realised the flanges were fine but the half shaft spines were very worn so new half shafts as well.

Near side seems ok but I will check it more closely.

New (to me) set of white wolf wheels procured and will replace the boosts.

The roof had a few holes in it and some kind of dodgy repair at the front. I managed to get a roof, side panels with windows, roof lining and interior plastic trims on Ebay from a chap who took it all off his 300tdi when he shipped it to Greece. Not sure how much of it I will use but it was a pretty good bargain even if just for the roof panel. Need to work out how to collect it now.

Also picked up a full length hannibal rack for a good price on Facebook over the weekend. Black but powdercoat has seen better days. Think i may get it blasted and recoated but need to check costs first. There is a place fairly local to me so I'll pop down and see. 2.8m is their length limit so they will just be able to fit it in.

Next jobs: finish the axle work, change the wheels, collect the roof and stuff. Cut off the rear towbar thingy and assess/fix any residual damage. Off to the garage to get the a frame bushes and ball joint replaced and I have it booked in with Chris at CC automotive for chassis treatment later in October Thumbs Up
Post #858864 29th Sep 2020 8:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>