↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > New 110 td5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Why do people ruin cars with that raptor s**t?
Post #868772 21st Nov 2020 1:16pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Plans keep changing for this vehicle. I had bought a 300tdi 110CSW so I was going to keep that one and then get this one painted and sold on. I put the orange 90 up for sale on the basis of the new 110 arriving and that sold and was collected on Christmas eve. Due to collect the 110 on 31st but when I made contact to arrange a time to collect I was told he had changed his mind, wanted to keep it and return my deposit. Arse.

Looks like I am going to be keeping this one and using it after all which I am cool about. Bit cold outside so progress is tricky but the jobs list is getting firmer.

Repair C-post both sides
Repair bottom of B post passenger side
Replace front rear tub support
Repair front door inner panels
Replace second row doors (planning on getting new galv ones and selling on the replacement pair I got with the car)
Windscreen panel off to clean a little rust on top of bulkhead, replace foam seal and screen rubber
New roof panel on

Painting will probably have to wait until the spring.

C-posts:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Front door inners frames:

Click image to enlarge

Rear doors:

Click image to enlarge

Floor off to gain access to c-posts. Chassis in good condition underneath which is good:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Rock sliders sandblasted and ready for paint:

Click image to enlarge

Picked up some better Puma seat on Saturday then some genuine LR waterproof covers. £200 for the seats and £30 for the covers Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And another winch and bumper for when it is back on the road after MOT which is due this month.

Click image to enlarge

Hoping to cut out all the rusty metal this week and then get the necessary repair pieces ordered ready for some welding. Doors and door repair panels from SP4x4 and c and b post repair sections from YRM.
Post #876435 5th Jan 2021 5:00pm
L110CDL

England 
Good news with the chassis being okay under the floor panel Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #876501 5th Jan 2021 9:24pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Indeed, good news about the chassis. Shame about all the other stuff though Smile
Post #876514 5th Jan 2021 10:01pm
L110CDL

England 
Better to replace the other stuff than a new chassis Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #876532 5th Jan 2021 11:03pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Thought I recognised it, used to see it occasionally while out and about then it disappeared.

Glad to know its gone too a good home! Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #876581 6th Jan 2021 10:01am
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Half of me wishes it had stayed there TBH. Certainly a lot more needing to be done on it than I had anticipated. It will a good truck when it is done but I can't quite fathom how a car this young can have so many bits needing replacement Smile . I am sure there are worse out there mind.

I have spent a few days stripping stuff. Challenge is to work out when to stop. But it is good to get all the rusty bolts cut off and chequer plate out.

Rear tub support was shot as well and the rear upstand was full of holes. One of the rear arch sections also a bit crusty. Quite a few bits on their way from YRM now, should be here this week.

Lots of chequer plate

Click image to enlarge

Rear tub support

Click image to enlarge

Dissolving ally on the wheel arch

Click image to enlarge

Little rust under dash to deal with, not too bad I think

Click image to enlarge

Cross-member is good though

Click image to enlarge

And the chassis at the front under the floor pans

Click image to enlarge

One small repair needed to the replacement second row doors. Other than this they are in excellent condition.

Click image to enlarge

Going to do a bit more wire brushing on the chassis and treat the tops with Dinitrol. Then a bit more cutting and cleaning before tackling the job of replacing the parts and putting back together. I have new stainless screws and bolts to refit everything with and will make sure I isolate stuff with nylon washers, foam strips and tape where needed to make sure these repairs last.
Post #877723 11th Jan 2021 1:58pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
There will be nothing left of the thing at this rate Shocked . I know it will all start to come together again soon but it seems like the cutting and drilling never ends. I can't quite believe how the body can be so bad on a car this young.

Anyhow.. cut a few more bits out, including the OS c-post. It is looking very sorry for itself.

Click image to enlarge

On a positive note, the new panels turned up late last week:

Click image to enlarge

And took some time to bench test the new diesel heater. Very little priming required and it works very well. The intention is for this to be removable and sit on one of the rear arches. Need to work out inlet and exhaust routing and also how to blank off when not in the car. Should help on the chilly days though Smile

Click image to enlarge

Back to the cutting - offside c-post came out after a bit of persuasion. I decided to take the whole post out rather than try and patch in situ as it should make for a neater and more robust repair. Interesting to note the rust that could not be seen.

Click image to enlarge

New part ready to weld in (after some more cleaning up)

Click image to enlarge

Also wire brushed the surface rust on the inside of the footwells. It looked a bit of a state but has cleaned up pretty well. Rust treatment on now and will prime and paint soon.
Post #879264 18th Jan 2021 9:16am
L110CDL

England 
I can only think that the previous owners never looked after properly Sad but by the time you have put it right with a lot of TLC you will have a cracking 110 Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #879406 18th Jan 2021 9:32pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
That is what I keep telling myself, it will be good when it is all done. So much of this stuff would normally go unseen hidden behind panels, trim and chequer plate but it will be comforting to know it has been done and done as well as I can do.

Little nervous about what I will find when I take off the windscreen frame but again, while it is not being used I may as well tend to any future problems if I can.

Thinking about future problems, I am currently deliberating whether to sell the second row doors I have ad buy some new galvanised ones from SP instead. Decisions, decisions. They are not cheap but I could sell the ones I have to part fund them, a good set of doors is worth a few quid.
Post #879529 19th Jan 2021 12:27pm
L110CDL

England 
Great that your telling yourself it will be all worth it in the end and keep it up Thumbs Up

I can't help you on the rear doors choice, but i would way up the pro's and con's on each and then hopefully you can come to decision Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #879800 20th Jan 2021 7:59pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
I seem to have been dodging the weather recently so struggled to make progress, very frustrating.

Repair panels fitted to front doors.

Click image to enlarge

Replacing the broken part by the lock.

Click image to enlarge

Finished repairing the second row door.

Click image to enlarge

OS C pillar repair now in.

Click image to enlarge

For ease of access I removed the NS sill assembly completely so I could address a shoddy earlier repair.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

B post now done, little more fine filling to be done before paint.

Click image to enlarge

NS C pillar removed, repaired and re-fitted.

Click image to enlarge

Horrible job sanding the floor pans. I think the precious owner had put paint on with a spatula. I know this will be largely invisible but not happy putting new paint on top of rubbish old paint. paint was really thick but very poorly adhered (no previous prep) so it had to be completely removed as it could not be featherd in.

Click image to enlarge

These have had their first cost of paint now, second one tonight. Next job is to begin fitting the new rear seatbox panels. I have new SS fixings to put everything back together with and think I will get an MOT done before I put the rear seats back in and begin the paintwork. Going to be a complete colour change so I'll do the interior while it is largely stripped then take off the front wings for access to the bulkhead. Oh, and wait for warmer weather Smile
Post #887077 22nd Feb 2021 11:32am
L110CDL

England 
That was a bad crack on the front door, not seen one that bad and at least your moving forward which is not a bad thing Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #887186 22nd Feb 2021 9:15pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Some sunny weather at last and a chance to get stuck in again. All the welding is now done so had the chance to begin putting things back together. Sunday's job was to get the rear seatbox, wheel arch and floor in.

The starting point

Click image to enlarge

Cross-member had a decent coat of Dinitrol while I could get to it. Then the rear floor support was riveted in. I got to use my new air riveter which has made this job so much easier. An excellent purchase.

Click image to enlarge

Lesser spotted teenager also helped for once.

Click image to enlarge

Rear wheel arch repair panel fettled and fitted. I used flange head rivets on this so it would cover the holes left where I cut out the spotwelds

Click image to enlarge

While assembling I made sure to isolate all dissimilar metals. Most of the steel has paint but as an added precaution I put tape on any mating surfaces and used nylon washers as well as the stainless nuts, bolts and washers.

Click image to enlarge

Another good splosh of Dinitrol to the top of the chassis rails while I had access:

Click image to enlarge

And then, job done.

Click image to enlarge

And for good measure, more Dinitrol on the exposed sections of the front of the chassis. I am determined that this is done to last as long as possible.

Click image to enlarge

Next jobs are to to paint the inside floor and then fix in the floor pans. I have new closed cell foam strips and SS and nylon fixings to use.
I did have it booked for MOT on Weds but have cancelled that while I work out why one of my side repeaters is not working. Bulb is OK, holder is OK and the wiring from the bulkhead to the holder is OK. I am wondering if it has anything to do with he LED indicators that have been fitted. Hmmm.
Post #888524 1st Mar 2021 7:59pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Rain and another defender had stopped play but I really must get cracking with this again.

Started to prep the replacement roof. This will be painted first, then the doors and aide panels followed by the car itself.

Sound deadening and insulation installed while I was at it and then started painting the underside. Alpine windows have been removed and I will also remove the sunroof before I paint.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #906877 7th Jun 2021 11:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>