↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Engine, Gearbox & Transfer Box Oil Change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 13 <123 ... 10 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
Ianh

United Kingdom 
^^^^^^^
Only one version of the fuel filter on a 2.2. Part number WJI500040 . A genuine Land Rover one is the best. With the 2.2 you don’t have the issue of priming that the 2.4 versions do. I make sure the whole fuel filter area is very clean prior to removing the existing filter. I fill the new filter with diesel, making sure new filter is wiped clean, the diesel is fresh , it’s in a very clean container and the funnel is spotless before I do. Stand that upright in a container, with a clean cloth on top to keep contamination out, and it is at hand ready for the swap, unscrew the existing filter and then quickly screw on the new one, making sure it is connected fully.

Alternatively some people fit the new filter dry, thereby avoiding any risk of fuel contamination, then turn the ignition key to position II, leaving for 10 seconds so it pumps some fuel into the filter, then turn the key back then forward to position II again. Repeating the procedure 7 to 10 times to fill the filter with diesel and to purge fuel from all the lines before starting the engine. I’ve not tried this method but read it works fine as there is a pump in the tank on a 2.2.

See this thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic70520.html
Post #907133 9th Jun 2021 9:01pm
110NTK

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
great thank you! all sorted, i filled the filter up with forte then plugged it in.
Post #907278 10th Jun 2021 5:25pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Does anyone know if the dirty fuel goes into the middle or outside of the fuel filter?

If we knew that we could all prime our filters from the dirty side with confidence that we are not introducing any contamination DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #907302 10th Jun 2021 7:48pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I suspect the fuel from the tank is on the outside of the filter membrane and the fuel going to the engine is on the inside , ie centre.

My rational is that any water and debris can be drained off via the tap at the bottom of the filter , the surface area of the filter material is greater on the outside than the inside, so should take longer before getting clogged , and that due to vibrations some of the contamination on the filter would come off and fall to the bottom of the filter if the fuel flow follows this route. The last two would thus give a longer service time between filter changes.

However this is just me applying what I believe would be a logical design and I could be completely wrong.

I have an old filter in the garage, so may take the angle grinder to it to see the inner design and look at the filter membrane to see on which side it is dirty.

I suspect someone will provide the answers before I get around to that anyway Very Happy
Post #907317 10th Jun 2021 9:17pm
Pat

Wales 
Mahle oil filter (OX339/2D) - as supplied by Opie

Anyone using this oil filter on a 2.2 Puma?

I'm about to do an oil change and have this filter ready to use, but I'm sure I've seen negative comments regarding suitability of this filter and this has put a little doubt in my mind.
Can't see why Opie would supply if it wasn't okay to use. It started with a kiss, never thought it would come to this.
SIII CSW Safari, limestone, (JAC 914N). Where is she now?

It's not a car, it's a way of life!
Post #908083 16th Jun 2021 7:52am
Gleo

Isle Of Man 
Can I use Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle transmission oil 75W90 FS API GL-4 in both the MT82 gearbox and my LT230 transfer box on my 2015 2.2 Puma Defender or do I need an API GL5 version for the LT230 Transfer box?
Post #908783 21st Jun 2021 2:25pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
GL4 will be fine. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #908828 21st Jun 2021 7:18pm
Tractorman

Scotland 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Indus Silver
What are the dangers of over-filling the gearbox oil? I had a major repair cost recently when the splined shaft between the gearbox and transfer box failed and I lost transmission. Whole assembly was removed for repair and at the same time all clutch components were replaced. Although the garage in question has some of experience of Defenders I am not convinced that they would have used the exact measurement of oil. Also they told me they filled it with ATF which gives a smoother gear change!! Any advice would be very welcome.
Post #934251 19th Dec 2021 3:29pm
Tractorman

Scotland 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Indus Silver
What are the dangers of over-filling the gearbox oil? I had a major repair cost recently when the splined shaft between the gearbox and transfer box failed and I lost transmission. Whole assembly was removed for repair and at the same time all clutch components were replaced. Although the garage in question has some of experience of Defenders I am not convinced that they would have used the exact measurement of oil. Also they told me they filled it with ATF which gives a smoother gear change!! Any advice would be very welcome.
Post #934252 19th Dec 2021 3:29pm
LR90XS2011

if by ATF they mean Automatic Transmission fluid then get it out of there asap and put the correct oil in to the correct level Automatic transmission oil and puma gearbox oil are very different. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

Post #934257 19th Dec 2021 4:02pm
Marks Landy

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Java Black
Whoops, that could get very expensive if you drive it overfilled & wrong grade of oil inside.
Post #934259 19th Dec 2021 4:13pm
LR90XS2011

NICKED OFF THE WEB

What's the Difference Between Gear Oil and Transmission Fluid?
The most obvious answer to this question is that gear oil is generally intended for use in manual gear boxes and transmission fluid is for automatic transmissions. However, as is always the case with automotive lubricants, there are exceptions to this rule. In order to fully understand what the differences are between the fluids, we first have to take a look at the key differences between gearboxes and transmissions.

Both a gearbox and a transmission essentially do the same job in that they allow change of gears to control the speed, force and direction of travel, but they achieve this in different ways and so require different support fluids in order to operate properly.

Manual Gearbox

Manual gears operate based on a system of two shafts with gears which mesh together after user input via the clutch and the gear stick. This means that the manual gearbox creates a lot of heat, a lot of force and a lot of friction as the two moving objects come together.

As such, gear oil must be able to make these gear transitions as smooth as possible to prevent damage to the components as they shift and to achieve this gear oil has to have the following properties:

High Viscosity

The main thing you'll notice about gear oil is its viscosity. It's much thicker than motor oil, with an average motor oil being 5W/30 and the average gear oil being 75/90 (see this article for in depth explanation of oil viscosity index).

The high viscosity ensures that the entire gear train is lubricated thoroughly and, most importantly, that the gears are well cushioned from shock damage when they come together.

Resistance to Heat

The working of a manual gearbox creates a lot of friction and therefore a lot of heat. Gear oil is able to withstand high temperatures, transferring heat away from the gear train whilst not boiling off too rapidly and not depleting too fast to be of use for long.

Able to Function Under Extreme Pressure
Gear oils often come with extreme pressure additives in order for them to withstand the high pressures generated during the running of the vehicle, particularly where hypoid gears are involved. They help to keep the oil stable and functioning consistently.

Automatic Transmission

Automatic transmissions operate on in a planetary system where gears switch automatically depending on the demands of the engine. The gears in an automatic tend to be smaller and there are many more moving parts than a manual gearbox.

As such, the lubrication required is on a different level to that of a manual gearbox. Not only does the transmission fluid need to provide good lubrication but it also needs to be able to transfer power from the oil pump to the clutches which control the movement of the gears. To achieve this transmission fluid must have the following properties:

Low Viscosity

Transmission Fluid is essentially thin hydraulic oil. In order to effectively lubricate the delicate parts of the system, the viscosity of the oil is kept low - generally around 0W/5 or 5W/10. Most importantly it needs to be relatively free flowing in order to transmit power from the engine to the transmission. The challenge presented to transmission fluid to maintain lubrication, whilst keeping clutch engagement consistent.

Keep the Channels Between Components Clean

Detergent is added to transmission fluid to make sure that build-up in the channels is kept under control.

Resistance to Heat
Transmission Fluid acts as a coolant in a similar way to gear oil in that it transfers heat away from the mechanisms caused by friction and high pressure, however its boiling point is lower than gear oil and as a result requires additives in order to improve its life expectancy.

Anti-foaming
It is important that air is kept out of the fluid as this would interfere with the transference of force through the liquid to the transmission. As such, transmission fluid has anti-foaming properties to help combat this.

What does this mean for my vehicle?
Whilst some manual gearboxes do use transmission fluids in place of gear oil, the same cannot be said for putting gear oil into an automatic transmission. Gear oil is much too viscous for these systems and will cause clogging between components.

The golden rule when it comes to automotive fluids is to always use what is recommended by your manufacturer in your vehicle. Check your Owner's Manual for details on what is safe to put in your system if you are going to conduct maintenance work on your vehicle.

-- DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

Post #934260 19th Dec 2021 4:22pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I only got a few lines into the above before deciding it was written by an imbecile and stopped. Comparing the viscosity rating of engine oil and gear oil. The 2 things are measured differently and are not comparable. If you measured an engine oil using the method for gear oil it would have a completely different value to that on the can. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #934272 19th Dec 2021 5:38pm
LR90XS2011

Bluest interesting as it was on Granvilleoil website!!

https://granvilleoil.com/news?artID=9#:~:t...205W%2F10.

Regards viscosity it leads you to a different article

"The main thing you'll notice about gear oil is its viscosity. It's much thicker than motor oil, with an average motor oil being 5W/30 and the average gear oil being 75/90 (see this article for in depth explanation of oil viscosity index)."

the key point it makes is ATF and Gearbox oils are somewhat different which is what others were asking DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

Post #934282 19th Dec 2021 6:30pm
lonewolf

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
Bluest wrote:
I only got a few lines into the above before deciding it was written by an imbecile and stopped. Comparing the viscosity rating of engine oil and gear oil. The 2 things are measured differently and are not comparable. If you measured an engine oil using the method for gear oil it would have a completely different value to that on the can.

Bit of a false start there imho........maybe should have read the full post 🀭

Merry Christmas to all by the way πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸ‘
Post #934348 20th Dec 2021 9:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 13 <123 ... 10 111213>