↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Engine, Gearbox & Transfer Box Oil Change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 11 <123 ... 91011
Print this entire topic · 
Ianh

United Kingdom 

^^^^^^^
Only one version of the fuel filter on a 2.2. Part number WJI500040 . A genuine Land Rover one is the best. With the 2.2 you don’t have the issue of priming that the 2.4 versions do. I make sure the whole fuel filter area is very clean prior to removing the existing filter. I fill the new filter with diesel, making sure new filter is wiped clean, the diesel is fresh , it’s in a very clean container and the funnel is spotless before I do. Stand that upright in a container, with a clean cloth on top to keep contamination out, and it is at hand ready for the swap, unscrew the existing filter and then quickly screw on the new one, making sure it is connected fully.

Alternatively some people fit the new filter dry, thereby avoiding any risk of fuel contamination, then turn the ignition key to position II, leaving for 10 seconds so it pumps some fuel into the filter, then turn the key back then forward to position II again. Repeating the procedure 7 to 10 times to fill the filter with diesel and to purge fuel from all the lines before starting the engine. I’ve not tried this method but read it works fine as there is a pump in the tank on a 2.2.

See this thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic70520.html

Post #907133 9th Jun 2021 10:01pm
110NTK

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black

great thank you! all sorted, i filled the filter up with forte then plugged it in.

Post #907278 10th Jun 2021 6:25pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green

Does anyone know if the dirty fuel goes into the middle or outside of the fuel filter?

If we knew that we could all prime our filters from the dirty side with confidence that we are not introducing any contamination DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy

Post #907302 10th Jun 2021 8:48pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 

I suspect the fuel from the tank is on the outside of the filter membrane and the fuel going to the engine is on the inside , ie centre.

My rational is that any water and debris can be drained off via the tap at the bottom of the filter , the surface area of the filter material is greater on the outside than the inside, so should take longer before getting clogged , and that due to vibrations some of the contamination on the filter would come off and fall to the bottom of the filter if the fuel flow follows this route. The last two would thus give a longer service time between filter changes.

However this is just me applying what I believe would be a logical design and I could be completely wrong.

I have an old filter in the garage, so may take the angle grinder to it to see the inner design and look at the filter membrane to see on which side it is dirty.

I suspect someone will provide the answers before I get around to that anyway Very Happy

Post #907317 10th Jun 2021 10:17pm
Pat

England 

Mahle oil filter (OX339/2D) - as supplied by Opie

Anyone using this oil filter on a 2.2 Puma?

I'm about to do an oil change and have this filter ready to use, but I'm sure I've seen negative comments regarding suitability of this filter and this has put a little doubt in my mind.
Can't see why Opie would supply if it wasn't okay to use. It started with a kiss, never thought it would come to this.
SIII CSW Safari, limestone, (JAC 914N). Where is she now?

It's not a car, it's a way of life!

Post #908083 16th Jun 2021 8:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 11 <123 ... 91011