↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > weight limit on a recovery truck
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
what is it exactly?? refrigerated body??
Post #905444 28th May 2021 8:57am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
It does look like it may have at least one section refrigerated.

Can't help thinking it looks identical to the Asda home delivery vans running around.
Post #905448 28th May 2021 9:56am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Wait until Euro NCAP testing for vans takes off, this problem will get worse. Currently most vans have pretty poor passive safety and wont score well. The base vehicles will get heavier to provide better crash scores. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #905468 28th May 2021 12:21pm
AlexCW

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Galway Green
Looks like it's fitted with a sleeper cab so would be loaded out with a fridge and all the extras. Would be a nice van for a bubble wrap courier Alex

2013 2.2 TDCi Puma Hard Top

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72473.html
Post #905470 28th May 2021 12:26pm
Supacat

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Click image to enlarge
Post #919010 28th Aug 2021 5:19pm
Bluest

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should Laughing

Click image to enlarge
 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #919019 28th Aug 2021 6:09pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
This has recently posted on a motorhome forum.

The ramp was extended using its ramps, and then supported by the spectical lift.

Click image to enlarge

Good few £££’s worth there.
Post #919021 28th Aug 2021 6:27pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Bluest wrote:
You are probably ok with many classics on a 3.5t transporter. Just depends what you are carrying. Modern cars have just got really heavy and it’ll get worse with electric ones. The key is making sure you know the payload of your van and the actual weight of what is being carried. The trouble is you’ll be running so close the limit a lot of the time that ensuring you are never over on at least an axle if not gross, will be hard.

Towing with a car trailer is still potentially problematic as you’ll probably need a tachograph and o-license if the max weight of the combination is over 3.5t. So, whilst you might be running comfortably within the legal weights for your vehicle, you are not meeting the regs for operating a commercial vehicle. The Traffic Commisioners do not have much of a sense of humour about this stuff and your vehicle can be scrapped. This catches a lot of people out who tow commercially using an SUV, or they hope they’ll be able to convince the authorities they are towing for leisure if they get pulled.

Really a lot of these businesses ought to just bite the bullet, get a bigger truck and an o-license.

Back when I was running my towing business it was not required to have an O licence for towing if the tow vehicle was a 4x4. I doubt that has changed. The reasoning being that there would have been hell to pay if they told all the farmers they had to get an O licence. For commercial use you would absolutely have to have a tacho too. However if you are doing the job as a favour and no money or goods changes hands (ie not for hire or reward) then one is not needed, nor for personal use. Proving it is probably another matter though. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #919071 29th Aug 2021 10:49am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
22900013A wrote:
...However if you are doing the job as a favour and no money or goods changes hands (ie not for hire or reward) then one is not needed, nor for personal use. ...

Not quite right. If the towing you are doing is in connection with ANY business, not necessarily your own, whether or not you personally are benefitting in any way, you will need a tacho etc.

So for example if yous friend is a mechanic and you are towing someone else's car to him for repair as a favour, and you are not being paid, not getting your fuel paid, and not benefitting in any way, then that is still commercial use. The only exception is if the "commerce" is a charity (you could for example use your trailer to collect charity bags and deliver them to a sorting warehouse legitimately as long as you were not being paid for it).

The issue of benefit and reward is a thorny old chestnut, especially amongst the horsey world, where for a long time the official line was towing you horse to an event where you might win a rosette (a "reward") or prize money legally fell in the commercial use definition and drivers' hours regs and tacho regs applied. I think that this view has now changed to something a little more liberal, but not much.
Post #919077 29th Aug 2021 11:25am
blackwolf

22900013A wrote:
Back when I was running my towing business it was not required to have an O licence for towing if the tow vehicle was a 4x4. I doubt that has changed. The reasoning being that there would have been hell to pay if they told all the farmers they had to get an O licence. ...

Be careful with this one too. Dual Purpose Vehicles as defined by Road Vehicles (Construction & use) Regulations 1986 are exempt from most of the O-Licencing regulations (but not all), but the key point is that to benefit from these exemptions the vehicle in question must be a DPV. Whilst this will be the case for most classic Defenders, it will most certainly not be the case for Discovery 3 and 4, probably the new Defender, most of the current 4x4 double-cab pickups, and almost certainly the Grenadier, since the unladen weight of these is sufficient to mean that they are not DPVs. Since the O-Licence exemptions were based on the vehicle being a DPV, tax class and type approval categories have no bearing on this matter.

Agricultural vehicles registered and taxed as such are exempt from O-Licencing, but not if they are taxed otherwise. A farmer who uses a new Defender with an unladen weight in excess of 2040kg taxed as N1 Light Goods would not be exempt from O Licencing so far as I know. The issue of O-Licencing in the Ag industry is a matter of considerable concern to both the transport industry and the regulating authorities, since you will see many farmers engaged in what are prima facie transport operations using a large modern high-speed tractor and plant trailer, operating without tachos etc, and arguing that it is Ag purposes, when it probably isn't. It is an area where revisions to the current legislation is highly likely.
Post #919084 29th Aug 2021 1:22pm
Supacat

Talking of farmers, I hope he noticed the freeloaders before he hit the road...

Click image to enlarge
Post #919096 29th Aug 2021 4:13pm
Bluest

Reminds of this pic I took on holiday. The Moroccans turn loading bails into an Olympic sport. Saw several trucks like this.

2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #919099 29th Aug 2021 4:23pm
22900013A

blackwolf wrote:
22900013A wrote:
Back when I was running my towing business it was not required to have an O licence for towing if the tow vehicle was a 4x4. I doubt that has changed. The reasoning being that there would have been hell to pay if they told all the farmers they had to get an O licence. ...

Be careful with this one too. Dual Purpose Vehicles as defined by Road Vehicles (Construction & use) Regulations 1986 are exempt from most of the O-Licencing regulations (but not all), but the key point is that to benefit from these exemptions the vehicle in question must be a DPV. Whilst this will be the case for most classic Defenders, it will most certainly not be the case for Discovery 3 and 4, probably the new Defender, most of the current 4x4 double-cab pickups, and almost certainly the Grenadier, since the unladen weight of these is sufficient to mean that they are not DPVs. Since the O-Licence exemptions were based on the vehicle being a DPV, tax class and type approval categories have no bearing on this matter.

Agricultural vehicles registered and taxed as such are exempt from O-Licencing, but not if they are taxed otherwise. A farmer who uses a new Defender with an unladen weight in excess of 2040kg taxed as N1 Light Goods would not be exempt from O Licencing so far as I know. The issue of O-Licencing in the Ag industry is a matter of considerable concern to both the transport industry and the regulating authorities, since you will see many farmers engaged in what are prima facie transport operations using a large modern high-speed tractor and plant trailer, operating without tachos etc, and arguing that it is Ag purposes, when it probably isn't. It is an area where revisions to the current legislation is highly likely.

Quite so, and thanks for adding some colour to my sketch. When the new rules were being mooted I rang up VOSA and got to speak to a higher up about whether Defenders would come under the new regs, the basic answer was no. This is of course from before a time they all became rather bloated, I wonder how many current 4x4s would still be exempt?

The business use and tachos is an interesting and thorny problem. In my day job I work for an industry that is at least partially tacho exampt as we do emergency response. So it was all logbooks. Not part of my job role anymore but we were never questioned by VOSA. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #919130 29th Aug 2021 8:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

Indeed, the situation has become so complicated now that the human brain is almost incapable of understanding it. I have found that even DVSA and VOSA seem bewildered, and getting a straight answer on anything is next to impossible. Even when they give you an answer now they qualify it with a statement that it is just their opinion until testedin court.

Not really very helpful.
Post #919144 29th Aug 2021 11:22pm
22900013A

"This is our opinion, not law" I recall being on the letters. Still useful as they would be the ones prosecuting you. You're quite right it's now an absolute quagmire of regulations that nobody fully understands. Drivers hours alone is a nightmare, you would be very lucky not to get infringements. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #919164 30th Aug 2021 7:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>