Home > My Defender > Green 110 Hard Top
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
AlexCW

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Galway Green
Green 110 Hard Top
Hi all,

I've never started a forum post before so here goes!

This is my 2.2 TDCi Hard Top, bought in February this year.

Click image to enlarge

My plan is to keep it as original as possible externally, with any bits to be added to be Original Land Rover if possible. Internally, I'm hoping to use it as a camper, but without the budget for a pop top roof at the moment and not being a fan of tents, I'm looking to convert the inside into a camper, with pull out bed and all the necessities.

The list I've got for the pipeline is more than I care to imagine, so I'll be taking it step by step for now and building it up.

Starting today I stripped the interior out which was easier than I thought and gave the interior a good clean before I sound proof it and it was dirtier than I'd hoped. On that note, I'm going to order the full NoiseKiller kit in the coming day or two, which I've seen has good reviews on here.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The auxiliary battery kit will be coming shortly too, as I've got a spare battery left over from a motorhome that I test fitted today and manages to fit into the battery box alongside the main battery so happy days.

I hope that isn't too long for a first post but it's a work in progress so I'm looking forward to working on my Defender and sharing/learning from the plethora of knowledge I seem to find on here!

Thanks, Alex

Last edited by AlexCW on 23rd Sep 2020 8:48pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #831688 17th May 2020 11:24pm
charcoal

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Nice original looking hard top you got, always love reading a good camper build so looking forward to your updates, and welcome to the forum Thumbs Up 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
1998 Land Rover Defender 110 County Station Wagon ~ Sold
1995 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Station Wagon ~ Sold Sad
1985 Land Rover 110 ex mod project Tithonus ~ Sold Sad
Post #831690 17th May 2020 11:41pm
AlexCW

Thanks Charcoal!

The original picture shows the rear mudflaps but originally these weren't installed so they were the first thing to be fitted.

Click image to enlarge

I think they may have been fitted at some point and ripped off as the original outer holes seem to have be split, I've tried to get a photo of the fixing showing the hole behind if it's visible.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

As I couldn't fit them in their original position anyway, I ended up moving them back by 20mm or so and had to drill the chassis and body, using some stainless nuts and bolts and managing to use the hole in the chassis to hold the nut whilst tightening, with a coat of hammerite for good measure.

Seems bizarre to me so not sure if anyone else has had the same issue but they've been fitted a month or so now, been upto 70 with them on and they're still there so I'm happy enough.

Whilst it was sunny the other day, I took a few photos and I like the way the green looks in the sun, here with a view from the front. Very Happy

Click image to enlarge
Post #831884 18th May 2020 10:26pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Very common on 110s. People even sell reinforcement kits for it, but a piece of aluminium angle works just as well.
Post #831890 18th May 2020 10:44pm
AlexCW

Hadn't thought of fitting the angle, I think I'll buy some and fit that just to be sure. Thanks Thumbs Up
Post #831897 18th May 2020 10:50pm
charcoal

Had the same issue with the mudflaps on my old v8 110, just bolted a washer that was bigger than the hole on top of it Thumbs Up 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
Post #831903 18th May 2020 11:25pm
AlexCW

I’ve used washers on mine to make sure they get a decent hold of the brackets but it’s good to know it’s a common issue.

One of many workarounds Land Rover seem to have designed to keep us on our toes! Alex

2013 2.2 TDCi Puma Hard Top

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72473.html
Post #831905 18th May 2020 11:29pm
charcoal

Yep pretty common, best to get that reinforcement piece on just to be safe Smile 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
Post #831907 18th May 2020 11:47pm
L110CDL

England 
Welcome to the forum AlexCW Thumbs Up

Nice 110 hardtop you got there and yes, the aluminium angle is the best solution to this problem Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #832065 19th May 2020 9:25pm
AlexCW

Thanks Clayton!

I'm just in the process of looking for some angle before my mud flaps end up going missing during some 'spirited' driving Laughing Alex

Post #832088 19th May 2020 9:51pm
L110CDL

England 
Good as you know they will come off at the most inconvenient time Rolling Eyes 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #832092 19th May 2020 9:55pm
AlexCW

Soundproofing
One of the first things I knew I wanted to do was to soundproof the Defender as the sound reverberating around the back of the Hard Top can result in the radio over stretching itself Laughing

I ordered a full kit from NoiseKiller at which I must say, I was very impressed with the customer service from Steve @ NK Group. I also ordered a pack of 2mm Silentcoat for any other areas and the doors.

Click image to enlarge

It probably took me a day in total by the time I'd stopped plenty of times for a brew but never mind, I'm also proud to say I managed to take the door cards off without breaking a clip Very Happy so here are the photos of it nearly finished. I forgot to take a photo once I'd put the egg box in the roof, although I've not got anything fitted to the side panels so I'm thinking of using some Silentcoat with a layer of 6mm closed cell foam on top so I'll be doing that, as well as removing the dash and soundproofing the bulkhead.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next up is the remainder of the soundproofing and a split charge kit Very Happy Alex

Post #834843 2nd Jun 2020 8:40pm
AlexCW

Spare Key
On a separate note, I'm after a spare key and fob as my local auto locksmith has said I'd need to take the key to Land Rover for them to code, although I've found a few quotes online here that seem rather pricey. Also, due to the current situation I've not been able to get in touch with them anyway so if there are any recommendations as to where I can get a new fob and key coded, please let me know.

I've currently got the new style fob with the chrome strip on the one side but I'm not fussed if I get like for like, providing the key works and disables the immobiliser etc. Alex

Post #834844 2nd Jun 2020 8:41pm
AlexCW

Update
So, I've not updated this for a while due to other commitments, one of them being as you can see below

All has not been quiet on the Defender front though, in the mean time I've made up and painted some panels to go in the back after insulating the side panels, which will be finished this week hopefully.

I've also installed a split charge system of the Britpart kind, I read that they'd installed a Britpart split charger in LRO so thought it can't be too bad, although I'm sure they're sponsored by Britpart Rolling Eyes but with the minefield that is split chargers and batteries, I couldn't work out what would be good for my needs so essentially took the easy route.

Somehow conveniently, Killer90 (Chris @ CSK) was selling a split charge kit so I snapped it up from him and although it wasn't plain sailing, I can't thank him enough as he was very helpful sorting out a problem that was no fault of his own and I'm going to be attending his shop in the near future for some rust proofing, so thanks Chris.

I read about Odyssey batteries etc but I had a leisure battery in the garage I had fitted to a motorhome a few months ago, so that's in there at the minute and will definitely work for now.

Click image to enlarge

I'm due to buy a flexi mount for the controller but I've just mounted behind the passenger seat in the mean time.

Click image to enlarge

And finally, I was searching for a soft nudge bar as I'm keen to keep the exterior as OEM as possible (other than roof rack which I've heard bad things about) so I managed to find one on eBay for a reasonable price. Fitted it this weekend and although I know it'll look better once the roof rack is on, I'm not 100% sure on it at the minute as I do enjoy the classic look of the Defender. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Click image to enlarge

The spot lights aren't wired in yet as I've got some more reading to do to make sure it's wired into the main beam properly, with a search on here hoping to be fruitful.

Thanks for reading Very Happy Alex

Post #857111 20th Sep 2020 7:49pm
L110CDL

England 
Nice update, thanks Thumbs Up

IMO i like your 110 without the A bar Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #857287 21st Sep 2020 8:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>