Home > Off Topic > weight limit on a recovery truck
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Yes you were pretty much plumb.

I was surprised.

Loaded my trailer with 2 tonnes of gravel on more than several occasions, and it looked like more than in the bed of that truck.
Post #903421 16th May 2021 5:11pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I only have a little trailer and 500kg is my limit when towing.

Your right Supacat. 500kg of ballast one day looks a lot more than 500kg another day. It goes on the weigh bridge so it’s all correct. I expect water saturation has a part to play?
Post #903430 16th May 2021 5:29pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Another prime example:

Click image to enlarge

Almost as good as this towcar:

Click image to enlarge
 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #903755 18th May 2021 5:37pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I wonder if this combo was over the limit back in the day? Same car used to tow a heavy Richardson three horse front unload horse trailer with two well built 16.2 hunters in it Sad
In this picture we were taking my 1949 80" for it's 1st MOT after fitting the V8 Embarassed

Click image to enlarge

Looking at it now it reminds me of The Professionals when Cowley used to be driven round in a "Grandad".
Post #903760 18th May 2021 6:15pm
walfy

Nevermind the overloading, recently a work trip meant that I had a day out in London to conduct an accident investigation for a client of mine. I hate London, but it was nice to go for a change. Worksite was just over from Grenfal so saw that.
Anyway, on the return journey we came out of Lonon and was on the M25 heading to the m3 when the 2yr old Velar started vibrating under load. Long story short, it Censored it's pants and engine died in lane 4 of the M3. Managed to get to lane 1. No hard shoulder here so stuck in a live lane.
Traffic wombles arrived and sorted it all out. Job well done.
Recovery truck appeared and loaded the sticken Velar up. Then said, COVID rules mate, you can't ride in my cab. So me and a colleague had to sit in the Velar on the back of the recovery truck going down the M3 to Fleet services.
Very strange being that high up whilst he was overtaking people. Changing lanes was fun as it came out of the lorry lines and then back into them. Never been so glad to see Fleet services in my life.
And then LR sent a taxi to take us home, but sent an all electric car with only enough juice to do the out trip, but thats another story 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #903872 19th May 2021 10:28am
Rashers

I didn’t even think that was allowed Shocked

How was access and egress into the Velar or were you winched on and winched off??
Post #903885 19th May 2021 11:48am
walfy

I was a bit hesitant but the wombles had already pre warned us it would happen.
The Velar was dead and no rotating wheels. So we sat in it, and were then winched onto the loadbed. Strapped down and then a 10min plus drive to Fleet. Where the load bed was lowered so we could easily(?) get out and walk down the sloping deck of recovery.
All in all not a pleasant experience

I do have some footage taken whilst driving to fleet. I'll try and dig it out 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #903888 19th May 2021 11:53am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The legality is an interesting question.

If you were on a trailer, it would certainly be illegal. On a flatbed it is probably legal since you were riding in a seat designed for the purpose, wearing a seatbelt, and the vehicle was secure. I cannot immediately think of a reason why it would not be legal, but it would raise eyebrows and I could well imagine that you'd get a tug from a bobby who similarly thought it was illegal even if not really knowing why.

It must have been a very strange experience!
Post #903889 19th May 2021 12:03pm
walfy

It was very strange. But it was funny to see the drivers face of the lorry we overtook. We just both looked over at him and waved. His face was such a picture.
Worse bit was changing lanes and it wobbled as weight transfer moved. Not an experience I'd like to repeat to be honest 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #903890 19th May 2021 12:05pm
Supacat

That's made me chuckle Thumbs Up

The lorry driver bit ~ not your breakdown.
Post #903895 19th May 2021 1:08pm
Rashers

walfy wrote:
It was very strange. But it was funny to see the drivers face of the lorry we overtook. We just both looked over at him and waved. His face was such a picture.
Worse bit was changing lanes and it wobbled as weight transfer moved. Not an experience I'd like to repeat to be honest

Still it’s better than being stranded on a motorway with or without a hard shoulder Thumbs Up
Post #903902 19th May 2021 1:36pm
L110CDL

England 
[quote="lohr500"]I wonder if this combo was over the limit back in the day? Same car used to tow a heavy Richardson three horse front unload horse trailer with two well built 16.2 hunters in it Sad
In this picture we were taking my 1949 80" for it's 1st MOT after fitting the V8 Embarassed

Click image to enlarge

That picture with your load on is far better than the Granada i saw on the other side of the M4 a few years ago when i was coming back from an Oxford job, he was towing a trailer with a JCB digger on the back Shocked yes i had to make sure i wasn't seeing things as the car hitch must of been so close to the tarmac, the front of the car and the rear of the trailer was like they were trying to take off Rolling Eyes 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #903999 19th May 2021 10:33pm
Supacat

I wonder why OEM’s don't incorporate this type of kit?

Click image to enlarge

Dan Punchard Ltd Road Haulage Co( Est 1997.) (@DanPunchard) Tweeted:
@DVSAEnforcement Thank you ,once bitten twice shy ,I can recommend these well worth the money if you care 😉 https://t.co/5RWebAp4xO https://twitter.com/DanPunchard/status/1393664319531913217?s=20

Now with colour screens:

Click image to enlarge

http://www.vishaypg.com/onboard-weighing/o...gwEALw_wcB

Answering my own question...

Reading about the new Ford F-150 Lightning BEV and an article mentioned tbis:

"The Lightning will feature the recently introduced smart scale system from the current F-150. This uses sensors between the bed and frame to detect the payload that has been added. The smart trailer hitch to measure trailer tongue weight will also be included. This is great for making sure you don’t overload the truck, but the information from these sensors will also be fed into the range estimator. With knowledge of how much work the truck is actually doing, the system can make more accurate estimates of how much driving range is left. "

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsamid...er-backup/

So it seems at least one manufacturer does.
Post #904189 21st May 2021 6:38am
walfy

Rashers wrote:
walfy wrote:
Worse bit was changing lanes and it wobbled as weight transfer moved. Not an experience I'd like to repeat to be honest

Still it’s better than being stranded on a motorway with or without a hard shoulder Thumbs Up

Completely agree.

But it was over an hour from first reporting and the wobles turning up and being recovered. I know we were behind a barrier but it was shocking to see the number of cars that didn't realise there was a stationary car with hazards on sat in lane 1. The amount of cars that had to swerve at speed because they weren't paying attention was scary.

The real strange thing, wombles said that we couldn't wait for LR recovery as lane 1 is a live lane so they called recovery. But they called the same company as LR use. So recovery truck turns up, and we get loaded up.
The rub here is if we were recovered under the LR call out there is no charge to end user, if we are recovered under the womble call out there was a £175 charge, I think.
Fair play to the wombles, recovery truck turned up, they canceled their request for recovery so no cost to end user. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #904259 21st May 2021 11:30am
Supacat

This one takes the biscuit. Laughing

Click image to enlarge

DVSA Enforcement (@DVSAEnforcement) Tweeted:
The answer to our previous tweet -

Some great answers noted in the comments, well done folks 👏

After removing ALL the load, the 3500kg vehicle still weighed 3410kg.....giving a legal payload of 90kg’s😳

It only had a quarter of a tank of fuel too ⛽️

#WatchYourWeights ⚖️ https://t.co/szUggVKGgI https://twitter.com/DVSAEnforcement/status...78594?s=20
Post #905425 28th May 2021 7:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>