Home > Off Topic > weight limit on a recovery truck
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
weight limit on a recovery truck
Hello

I spotted this on a forum for our local police where they had stopped this flat bed van and it was over weight by 16% overall and 8% on the rear axel.

Got me thinking as you see this type of recovery truck a lot and I would class a passat as a normal / average weighted car?

Who would have though this was illegal? must be loads out there that are.

The Van is classed as a 3.5T so does that mean say the van weights 2T you can only carry 1.5T

I thought it was interesting as doesn't look obviously wrong?

Click image to enlarge
Post #902145 9th May 2021 12:49pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I work closely with the police unit that posted those pics. Van overloading in general is a massive problem, but recovery vehicles are a particular issue that the police are focussing on. The recovery operator wants a truck under 3.5t gross so as to avoid operator licensing and tachographs etc, but with the increasing size of modern cars it is practically impossible to operate legally for moving anything but very small cars. Some of them know full well they are breaking the law and will try to hide the vehicle weight by running airbags or extra leaves in the rear axle. Another trick is to say downplate your 5t truck to 3.5t so as not to need a tachograph etc, but 5hr continue to run at 3.5t plus weight it was originally built for.

Additionally, you’ve got unscrupulous hire firms that will rent these trucks to unsuspecting DIYers who then get caught out moving there barn find Defender or whatever. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #902147 9th May 2021 1:14pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Lots of commercial stuff is overweight whether towing, carrying, recovery, etc........

Some people, seem to equate the size of a vehicle with the ability to load more....
I specifically chose my Transporter based on its towing ability (2.5T) and wheelbase due to my priorities at that point, lots of other things I considered were sub 2T tow limit which would have thrown me well in to the over-loaded camp for most things we do
The much larger LT35 LWB we also utilised at the same time was only legal for 1.9T towing......
Post #902150 9th May 2021 1:34pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Just to add most general sized vans only have a load capacity of around 1 to 1.5T so easy to see that a similar chassis cab can't suddenly carry a 2T+ vehicle
Post #902151 9th May 2021 1:36pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Re: weight limit on a recovery truck
Stacey007 wrote:
... Who would have though this was illegal? must be loads out there that are. ...

Anyone who is a professional in the transport industry should immediately see that this is illegal, but you are right,, there are loads out there that are.

Stacey007 wrote:
... The Van is classed as a 3.5T so does that mean say the van weights 2T you can only carry 1.5T ...

Yes, correct. The gross vehicle and (if towing) gross combined weights must not be exceeded.

Stacey007 wrote:
... I thought it was interesting as doesn't look obviously wrong?

I beg to differ, it is blindingly obvious that it is wrong, a car that size on a flatbed that size. Absolutely begging to be pulled by the Police, VOSA or both. Most professionals now will use a 7.5 tonne GVW rollback for recovery.

It is worth remembering if you ever need your Defender recovered, however, not to let "John Wayne" pick it up on a 3.5 tonne flatbed.
Post #902170 9th May 2021 3:32pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
its so common that even if the police vosa lads see them they know 100% they are overweight but they cant stop them all.

vosa dvsa tend to work daylight hours and a lot of these vans only operate local or know the weighbridge locations.

none of the ones that i have dealt with could produce any insurance for the load they had which ruins it for the owner of the car when they roll it into a ball of scrap.

but folk keep going for the cheapest price so it wont stop anytime soon.

best one locally was a sprinter 3 up with a transit on the back 45mph on the mway and all over the place.

weight wise the most the latest vans with light weight bodies etc can carry is 1600kg and the older vans its much less 1250-1500 is common on a sprinter or transit
Post #902178 9th May 2021 3:57pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
This is very interesting and not something I had ever thought about (on a need to know basis, I didn’t need to know Laughing )

As Blackwolf says, all the professional towing companies run 7.5T wagons these days, now I come to think about it.

It would be very interesting to check a lot of the banger racers out there. I know their vehicles are stripped down, but then they have roll bars fitted and usually a shed load of tyres and wheels? This kind of truck is the mainstay of the Banger racer.

Another non-Land Rover topic which has enlightened me Thumbs Up

Off Topic Another thing the Police need to look at are towing capacities. I live near the East Coast and I is not uncommon to see a substantial caravan being towed by a Ford Focus or Vauxhall Astra size tow vehicle. The cars are usually well overloaded as well and sit hard down on the rear axle. We have had a few accidents in Norfolk with this kind of outfit, but I don’t think the Police ever prosecute. Maybe the insurance companies have more of an interest - or should I say, lack of interest in paying up for a total loss?
Post #902180 9th May 2021 4:02pm
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
My 130 was delivered 250 miles on what looked like a totally inadequate transporter, given the size of what it was carrying !

The winds that day were approaching 55 mph . Thank goodness it made it .

Click image to enlarge
 https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #902183 9th May 2021 4:19pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
that's epic

not even a 3500kg van i think.do you have a picture of the vans reg number?

dont worry no insurance it was stopped and they seize the truck and load.
Post #902184 9th May 2021 4:24pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Mdm wrote:

vosa dvsa tend to work daylight hours and a lot of these vans only operate local or know the weighbridge locations.

We’ve been working very hard to rectify this. The NW regional unit now work outside normal office hours and we are looking for ways to make the check locations less predictable. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #902226 9th May 2021 7:01pm
blackwolf

Bluericky wrote:
My 130 was delivered 250 miles on what looked like a totally inadequate transporter, given the size of what it was carrying !

The winds that day were approaching 55 mph . Thank goodness it made it .

I don't think there can be any doubt that that rear axle is massively overloaded, and the GVW is also significantly exceeded. I wonder what would have happened if he'd had an accident, even if he did have insurance for the load I suspect he's invalidated it by overloading.

Not a nice thought, really.
Post #902253 9th May 2021 9:02pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
yep they could park outside any big auction house like bca....brighouse n leeds would be fun. i was there last week with work. lets just say 90% of the vans that were collecting were overloaded and more than half of the ones waiting to loaded weren't roadworthy.
bca dont help as they wont let you on site anymore and the car park is full so everyone has to load or park on the roads outside.....all double yellows. lots of vans lorries and 7.5 tonners.
Post #902256 9th May 2021 9:05pm
Iggle piggle

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Alpine White
Re: weight limit on a recovery truck
blackwolf wrote:
Most professionals now will use a 7.5 tonne GVW rollback for recovery.

The industry has moved on again, Most professionals will now use a 10,12 or even 14tonne slidebed

A 7.5t with a slidebed & crewcab will likely have a similar payload to these 3.5t cowboys & will almost certainly be over weight on its front axle
Post #902261 9th May 2021 9:25pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
The issue (as I understand it) with 7.5t is it's only really a relevant class in the UK, so most 7.5t trucks are downplated 12t chassis!

Have to be really careful in my industry (broadcast and events) as it's very easy to wheel 4t of kit into a 7.5t truck with a box body on it... The last one I had to deal with, could only put 2200kg on it!
Post #902278 10th May 2021 12:43am
blackwolf

Apart from driver licencing, I don't think it's any harder to run a 12 tonner (or 20 tonner, or 44 tonner for that matter) than a 7.5 tonner is it? They still need O Licencing, tachos (drivers' hours regs compliance), etc.

In many ways the 7.5 tonner has become something of an anachronism, I think.
Post #902294 10th May 2021 8:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>