↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Oh dear... another project!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
Great project there Moneypit Thumbs Up

If you didn't know, but that is a Devon plate, Exeter Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #897840 12th Apr 2021 10:33pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Steve W wrote:
Procta wrote:
Steve W wrote:
My dream cars are still 205 GTI 1.9 in graphite...... or EVO 6 Tommi Mac. just to add I’m truly envious of those that have the technical skill and knowledge to undertake car / bike restoration........

Steve

When Me and my dad rebuilt the rover metro GTA 16v , all i did take lots of pictures before we went at a job. Just take your time and research stuff Thumbs Up

That’s a rare one metro GTA Thumbs Up
Ref the 306 i recall there used to be a place on the felling bypass that used to fit dimma kits to those ! Looked good but the colour had to be right !

Love the old cars thats when they were individual and not the jelly moulds they are now !

Mine was a GTA 16v model, which was even rarer, We recon it was the last one in northeast, due to how rare they were. Only in production for a very short while. Only one lad had a dimma 306 on the forum, it ended up having to get a full rebuild. The forum shut down before i got the chance to see the finished product, but the car has since been put back on the road twice Laughing Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #897866 13th Apr 2021 5:49am
Moneypit

2004 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Fuji White
L110CDL wrote:

If you didn't know, but that is a Devon plate, Exeter Thumbs Up

Thanks Clayton, interesting that it's made it's way this far north
Post #897918 13th Apr 2021 9:50am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
A chap near me has loads of old Vauxhalls. Novas/Corsas/Astra I think he is a collector! 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #897920 13th Apr 2021 9:52am
Moneypit

JOW240725 wrote:
I admire that, and your ability in restoration. I just assumed there would be a story behind the Astra GTE? I never remember it being a particularly good or popular car. Not like the 205 GTi or Renault 5 Turbo. Or is it just that?

Had one back in the day, reliving my misspent youth! Peugeot was an excellent car which is now reflected in how much a tidy one is worth now, never liked 5 gt turbo and I'm not sure why. I was power crazed so Astra's 150bhp was the one I went for as the others "only" had 130 and 118.
Others I may have bought if they'd turned up cheap are a early 16v Calibra or a Citroen AX GT, both of which I've owned and loved for different reasons
Post #898053 13th Apr 2021 7:44pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
That's what i did with the rover metro, had one as 1st car, then a couple of years later, i grabbed a GTA16v, But it wasn't plain sailing for parts or info. I nearly binned the project twice, if it wasn't for the people on 306.net at the time. I have not got the photos of the car now on pc. Other wise id have showed up the car. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #898296 14th Apr 2021 9:08pm
L110CDL

England 
Moneypit wrote:
L110CDL wrote:

If you didn't know, but that is a Devon plate, Exeter Thumbs Up

Thanks Clayton, interesting that it's made it's way this far north

Yes it is Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #898305 14th Apr 2021 9:28pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
You will be surprised how far cars can travel, every car i have owned bar my 1st car, have all come from down south. The TD5 i think is the furthest one registered. My 1st car was registered in sunderland, ( dealer was with in walking distance of me) Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #898555 16th Apr 2021 1:34am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Procta wrote:
That's what i did with the rover metro, had one as 1st car, then a couple of years later, i grabbed a GTA16v, But it wasn't plain sailing for parts or info. I nearly binned the project twice, if it wasn't for the people on 306.net at the time. I have not got the photos of the car now on pc. Other wise id have showed up the car.

Hi Procta, I think ours was a 16V GTA, or maybe a GTi?. Are there any tell tale signs in the photo? All I remember is that it went like sh** off a stick and left a few would be boy racer's scratching their heads.

My wife still hasn't forgiven me for trading it in for a Lada Niva Laughing Laughing

Click image to enlarge
Post #898698 16th Apr 2021 9:06pm
Defender SVX

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Soft Top Santorini Black
^^ That’s a GTI 1.8 MGF / Gaylander engine (the head gasket one Rolling with laughter)

My mate had one, one day on a enthusiastic drive we went past a parked police T5 Volvo at a shocking rate of knots Mr. Green when the inevitable stop came the pair officers were splitting their sides laughing at a Metro capable of such ballistic speed and as a result offered only advice on that occasion Whistle Formerly mao99999
16 Focus RS Nitrous Blue.
11 FFRR TDV8 Vouge SE Black Black.
08 DEFENDER SVX SOFT TOP (SUPERB)
08 DEFENDER 110 DCPU Stornoway grey (Overland Exploration Unit)
05 Fiesta ST 150 Van
04 Jaguar XKR 4.2 Supercharged V8
02 DEFENDER 90 TD5 (next years soft top project)
95 DEFENDER 110 CSW 300 TDi Phoenix black
95 DEFENDER 90 HT Monti Carlo blue COUNTY 300 TDi
67 109" SERIES 2a TUNED 200 TDI
64 DAVID BROWN 990 rat look
55 86" SERIES 1
Post #898737 17th Apr 2021 10:10am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Thanks for identifying it Defender SVX.
It was pretty quick and a bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing.
I remember the garage we bought it from had a brand new MG RV8 in the showroom at the time. Too expensive for us though.
Post #898783 17th Apr 2021 5:48pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
lohr500 wrote:
Procta wrote:
That's what i did with the rover metro, had one as 1st car, then a couple of years later, i grabbed a GTA16v, But it wasn't plain sailing for parts or info. I nearly binned the project twice, if it wasn't for the people on 306.net at the time. I have not got the photos of the car now on pc. Other wise id have showed up the car.

Hi Procta, I think ours was a 16V GTA, or maybe a GTi?. Are there any tell tale signs in the photo? All I remember is that it went like sh** off a stick and left a few would be boy racer's scratching their heads.

My wife still hasn't forgiven me for trading it in for a Lada Niva Laughing Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Hi pal, that is a GTI, one of the early MPI ones, they had semi colour coded bumpers after that, They are not slow cars at all, they 1.1 k series are nippy and the GTi ones are quick, The ones with the vvc engine conversions are vicious when you wind them up. My mate had a drive of mine, and his hands went white!!
I did manage to find a few photos of mine on the photo host

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then later rebodied into a 1.1s shell, and tarted the engine up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I changed the trims over to the standard 1.1s trim and wheel trims too. The cars injection, electrics etc was just swopped straight over. Basically all we did was drop the 1.1s body on the running gear. Very Happy

The project left a lot people with a look of Surprised and Shocked when it used to move. i never ragged it all, which never gave the game away Laughing
I remember one kid in a new clio, must have tried to take the Censored , but i must have wound it up before he even got a look in, all saw in the rear view mirror at the lights, was Shocked saying toi his mrs "THATS NOT A 1.1S"!! Laughing

One kid at work took the mick out of me with it, he fell for the 1.1s thing too, he never drove Rolling Eyes
He was getting a lift home when i passed them, they were doing about 75 to 80 and i just past them with out any bother. Funny thing was, when he saw me next, he said, Andy your little metro moves for a 1.1s! i said yeah i forgot i had the choke out, so it gets a little bit racy, worse with it been a 5 speed model too. His face was a picture Laughing
Still never told him it was a 1.8 Laughing
Sadly it got expensive to fix, and parts were starting to get silly hard to get hold of. I got shot for the defender, and the 306 took over the policy for this. Thumbs Up Do i miss the metro days, not really, as i have owned 3 Thumbs Up would i build a fast car like that again, yeah but not a rover again Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #898792 17th Apr 2021 6:45pm
Moneypit

Click image to enlarge

I really lucked out, plenty of surface rust but no heavy rot. Panel work will get done when I have time, need to pay the bills & stop doing fun stuff

Click image to enlarge
Post #899887 24th Apr 2021 8:26pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
That's about the same league as my 306 is at the moment, (its needing a respray now)
If a car has lasted this long, then its worth saving or keeping. Are you going to find the original alloys for it? Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #899901 25th Apr 2021 2:18am
Moneypit

Hi Procta, yes I've sourced a set, white but getting repainted to original silver for this body colour. Going back to as it left the dealer even down to the original factory fit audio
Post #899931 25th Apr 2021 10:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>