↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Painting a garage floor.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
camelman

United Kingdom 
Painting a garage floor.
Anyone painted their garage floor and got any useful hints or tips?
Its a (relatively) new, double, garage.

Looking for recommendations on what sort of paint people have used and how much was needed etc.

TIA 
Post #900032 26th Apr 2021 9:32am
Oldsalt

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
In a similar situation about 15 years ago. Firstly a good sweeping of the dusty floor (persistent dust was the main problem requiring a solution). Then seal the floor with a diluted PVA glue and allow a few days to dry fully. I then used two coats of Internatonal garage floor paint which I think I found in B and Q..
It has lasted well and even after 15 years the only minor marks are the four areas when the tyrea are stationary when parked. I would used the same paint if I neede to recoat it again. The edges were cut in with a brush and a roller used for the rest.

I also used some white masonary paint on the unpainted brick walls, mostly to reduce dust again but has the advantage of improving the lighting in the garage.

Hope this is of some use to you but it was definetely a worthwhile job.
Post #900036 26th Apr 2021 10:02am
kenzle8a

Don't bother trying to paint it unless you properly scuff it down and use the most hardcore poured epoxy you can find. You're much better off using a poured epoxy over a paint. If not then thick tiles or swisstrax style floors are far better. Floor paint will last a few months at best.

My father in law did the floor of his new unit in paint and it didn't last long and that was with minimal use on a new slab, nothing really bonds that well when you are using it as a garage imo. The cold and impacts will loosen any paint pretty quickly. Trolley jacks are the most effective paint removal method ive found... Rolling with laughter
Post #900038 26th Apr 2021 10:27am
Romadog

Agree with all above. Though I didn't have much paint damage on my floor. It wasn't smooth concrete though. I also used International paint. I thinned it down a lot for easier application. This sped up drying between coats which may have helped it to stick. Was looking at friends solid tiles which seem to hold up well too.
Post #900043 26th Apr 2021 10:44am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I built a garage last year and painted the floor - it’s far superior to unpainted concrete. I used an epoxy paint and it’s surviving well, only being damaged where I’ve dragged a chassis across it for example (as per pic).

No problems with it lifting under tyres like you get with cheap paints and trolley jacks etc. don’t touch it. One further benefit is when you spill something liquid it can be cleaned up very easily rather than soaking into the concrete. It is a bit slippery when wet though.

Click image to enlarge
Post #900072 26th Apr 2021 1:50pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
When I moved in - the builder built the garage - but the floor was very roughly chopped with tamping boards - so not a great finish.

I painted it - looked better and kept the dust down (Multiple coats of Epoxy) but still too rough for my liking.

I then ceramic tiled over the top - using PVA to bond the tile cement to the paint. Looked much better - but dangerous as hell when wet...

Then I fitted some Thick 8 to 10mm ties on top (click together type) - looks great.

Then when the sun hits the tiles when the door is open - they bow up about 30mm...... even with expansion gaps at the edges.

So moral of the story - pay once - do it right and use an Epoxy - thick screed..... about £30 to £40/M2.... like used in Industrial Machine shops....
Post #900078 26th Apr 2021 2:19pm
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I used the international floor paint and it was easy and cheap and lasted a few years. Only lifted under the tyres when parking cars on it, otherwise ok to keep dust down and fairly easy to just slap on another coat when it was beginning to look tatty.

My lockdown project was tiling the garage floor. It took nearly as long to remove the paint as to put down tiles.
Post #900079 26th Apr 2021 2:26pm
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
Jotun do some very good epoxy paints, we did our workshop floor maybe 3 years ago and it's held up incredibly well. I'd recommend using some anti-slip/skid beads so you don't end up with an ice rink. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #900081 26th Apr 2021 2:38pm
Alex1976

England 
Not used it myself but always had good feedback about Screwfix garage floor paint. I am looking to paint my garage floor before I start the next project build, and thinking Screwfix is probably what I will use.
Post #900126 26th Apr 2021 8:21pm
keith

Scotland 
Nip down to RAF Scampton. The red arrows might have some of that Lightweight paint lying about Camelman.

Keith
Post #900163 26th Apr 2021 11:30pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Keith: you have read my mind!

As the red arrows lightweight is currently
In getting a full rebuild and repaint, I'm thinking my garage won't do it justice 🤔.

SWMBOs reaction to me informing her I was painting the garage floor red with 6ft roundel in the middle amused the kids Whistle 
Post #900164 26th Apr 2021 11:42pm
keith

Scotland 
I’d be disappointed if it went anything other than that . 👍

Keith
Post #900165 26th Apr 2021 11:49pm
SN

My personal preference is actually carpet - usually from out of a big room which is having its carpet replaced. Makes a huge difference, but I except that may not be the ideal surface from some workshops.

I have this challenge coming again as the house we're buying has double/triple (double at front, triple at rear) garage attached which is going to need to be carpetted Sad Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #900168 27th Apr 2021 12:57am
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I used epoxy primer, flakes and polyurethane as top coat and haven't looked back since. After major services, degreaser, a scrub and clean with the pressure washer brings it back to 'as new'. m
Post #900169 27th Apr 2021 1:30am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
That looks ace

Can you do my kitchen pls Rolling with laughter 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #900175 27th Apr 2021 6:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>