↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Main Grenadier discussion thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 15 of 102 <123 ... 141516 ... 100101102>
Print this entire topic · 
dailysleaze

United Kingdom 
lohr500 wrote:
I would love to know the answer as well.

I suspect it is because they are so stuck up their own a**** that they think a higher volume, lower priced vehicle will dilute their brand value and rob sales from their overpriced designer boutique models. .

This.

There are changes made they made to get the 15my vehicles to meet EU regilations (DSC, etc.). They redesigned the 110/130 rear halfshafts for 16my only. Why would you invest money on a vehicle with less than a year to run? If it became unprofitable it would have been shelved sooner. 15-20k vehicles annually it a good business.

Also the Solihull site is pretty crammed and the Defender buildings took up a lot of room. Better they can move to a more efficient production line that gets more £££ return per sq ft.

I suspect the 2016 end was to coincide with "flipping the switch" based on their overall strategy, rather than having to end because it was loosing money. They announced the end of the Defender in 2013...!

As the Grenadier is "better designed" than a bog standard double cab, it can justify the increase in price tag.
Post #819575 14th Mar 2020 11:49am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I wish them every success. I would hope (if it were me advising them!) that their next model would be a small van - to compete with the Renault Kangoo, VW Caddy and the Ford Connect. Small vans seem as though they are easy and cheap to produce, yet still command £20,000 plus. And small vans have a huge future as people switch to having everything delivered. You can't get a British small van anymore. Grenadier certainly won't just stick with a utility 4x4, obviously, and will want to maximise their capabilities and profit. Ineos will be switching from that BMW-sourced engine to EV quite soon, and it would be great to see them use the EV set-ups which are springing up in Britain.
https://alcraftmotor.com
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/16/uk-electri...llion.html Now left.
Post #819577 14th Mar 2020 11:54am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I don’t think going into the mass market with something like a small van would be wise. How can they compete with the likes of Ford and PSA on economies of scale and dealers? They would end up having to buy in parts from the very people they are trying to compete with. The only hope they have, and what they are betting on, is that they can find niche not satisfied by current products, and that is still going to be an uphill struggle. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #819582 14th Mar 2020 12:09pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Fair enough. I only said it because I was speaking to a guy who said that there won't be supermarkets in the future, as everything will be delivered. Admittedly, that's the bigger vans, but there is a huge market for small vans.
https://www.fleetpoint.org/carandvannews/v...t-forward/
https://www.smmt.co.uk/2019/06/uk-new-van-...ller-vans/
I just feel that it (appears) to be a cheap project to build a van (we don't want fancy stuff), and yet the choice is fairly small. No one does a petrol auto. Now left.
Post #819587 14th Mar 2020 12:30pm
spudfan

Ireland 
All right lets forget about the GRENADIER being built as a possible replacement to our beloved but flawed Defender. Lets get real and get a life.
What I wanted to know is, if INEOS were building replacement wives where would we stand? I for one would be very interested in the chassis, just to see where it was going. How would it compare to my existing model, and albeit vintage chassis? I would like to see his ideas for the suspension as my own model's suspension is nowhere as pliant as it was on that first test drive. Whistle
Anyone any ideas? 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #819820 15th Mar 2020 9:43pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
What puddle? wrote:

They have already managed to p*ss me off a little, as I entered their competition for a suitable name. I poured in so many names - I even surprised myself how good they were, seriously (they just kept coming to me).

What are you talking about, they chose a great name..... Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #819830 16th Mar 2020 6:40am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Grenadier Attracts More Than 17,000 Potential Buyers
https://www.carscoops.com/2020/09/2021-ine...al-buyers/

"Ineos Automotive has already gathered more than 17,000 expressions of interest for the Grenadier... Although not all expressions of interest will translate into sales, the company’s commercial director Mark Tennant has revealed that the number of interested customers is already well ahead of their expectations.

“We’ve set targets and we’ve reset targets as we’ve eclipsed them before we expected to, but we are acutely aware that we have a lot more work to do, and a lot more to prove before people will commit to buy,” Tennant said to Autocar.

Ineos has said before that in order for the Grenadier to prove profitable, they’ll have to achieve between 25,000 and 35,000 units sold on an annual basis.

Tennant added that Ineos is going to reveal details on the Grenadier’s trim levels and the company’s sales network soon. “We want to keep the product offering simple – there won’t be long options lists, although we will look at accessory packs that group lots of options together,” Tennant said. “We also hope to encourage the aftermarket to take the car on and offer degrees of personalization if that’s what they want.”

“Sales-wise, we’ll make some announcements soon. It is fair to expect a high degree of digitalization in that process – we certainly expect every customer to transact through us, even if the sale is facilitated through a dealer. How we build out a network of physical sales points is also at the planning stage, although I think you could read a lot into how we have approached the rest of the project with partners. We aren’t going to be able to go out there and match Toyota alone, for instance; we need to set up a global network cleverly.”

Ineos aims to offer the Grenadier in five-door and four-door pickup body styles, with a shorter three-door variant under consideration. The company says that they are on schedule for a market launch in late 2021."
Post #855077 9th Sep 2020 7:23am
Callum_P

United Kingdom 
I was so ready to seriously enquire about a Grenadier and was excited about a UK made 4x4 concocring the world and then I find out it’s to be made in France.
My balloon was burst.
Post #857834 24th Sep 2020 10:05am
HK07

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
^^^ Yup, I get that and feel the same. 2007 90 Puma - Love it - Best car I have ever owned.

1989 Ninety 200tdi - Love it - Second best car I have ever owned.

1951 80" Series 1 - Love it - Third best car I have ever owned.
Post #857909 24th Sep 2020 4:58pm
keef9t

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Ditto
Post #857952 24th Sep 2020 7:23pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
But it's not a direct "replacement for a defender", eventhough it looks like one, it's not being built by LR, so does it really matter where it's built?

I mean, the last generation defender/90/110/RRC and disco1 (and maybe D2) were hardly built to exacting German or Jap standards now were they? (no offence to anyone from 'Brum)
Post #857953 24th Sep 2020 7:27pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
^^^^^

It's not a replacement for anything. Rgds.

Chris
Post #857986 24th Sep 2020 9:39pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Exactly. so does it matter where it's built
Post #858004 25th Sep 2020 4:04am
HK07

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
No it doesn't matter, but being patriotic I would have liked it more if it were built here. It would have been one more reason to get one.

Just my feeling for a vehicle I don't need but would like.

Callum_P put it perfectly; "I was so ready to seriously enquire about a Grenadier and was excited about a UK made 4x4 concocring the world and then I find out it’s to be made in France. My balloon was burst."

Different folk see it different ways. 2007 90 Puma - Love it - Best car I have ever owned.

1989 Ninety 200tdi - Love it - Second best car I have ever owned.

1951 80" Series 1 - Love it - Third best car I have ever owned.
Post #858030 25th Sep 2020 6:44am
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Quote:
Callum_P put it perfectly; "I was so ready to seriously enquire about a Grenadier and was excited about a UK made 4x4 concocring the world and then I find out it’s to be made in France. My balloon was burst."

I don’t think he did, that’s not how you spell conquering 🙄🙄
Post #858032 25th Sep 2020 6:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 15 of 102 <123 ... 141516 ... 100101102>