↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > An Anorak's Utility Station Wagon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 37 of 57 <123 ... 363738 ... 555657>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Thumbs Up Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #852282 26th Aug 2020 10:59pm
LandRoverAnorak

Turbo Actuator
For some time now, my Defender has been suffering from a strange intake-related noise, almost like that of a dump valve fitted to boy racer hot hatches, and occasional power delivery hiccups, which were explored in this thread a few weeks ago. I even took it to my local independent LR garage, who couldn't find anything wrong. Anyway, as a bit of a gamble I decided to replace the turbo actuator, which seemed to be a likely suspect for the problem and so far, so good!

The actuator is located on top of the turbo on the right hand side of the engine and is relatively easy to access. It's secured with three torx head countersunk bolts through the turbo casting and is connected to the acuating rod for the vanes with a small circlip. The latter has a slot in the end to make it easy to remove with a small flat bladed screwdriver. There is also a large multi-plug that needs to be disconnected by squeezing the tabs on each side.

The old one removed showing the connector to the actuating rod:

Click image to enlarge

The new one prior to installation. The original is a Hella part whilst this is obviously a pattern part, purchased from eBay. The significant number when finding a replacement is the 'G-72' stamped on the side, which also exists on the Hella unit under the dirt:

Click image to enlarge

With the original unit removed I was able to check that the linkage was free and also add a bit of lubrication for good measure:

Click image to enlarge

And the new unit bolted into place:

Click image to enlarge

The whole job only took about half an hour to do and was quite easy. The results were immediately obvious with much smoother power delivery in first and second gear and no odd noises from the air intake. A definite result! Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 30th Aug 2020 10:12pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #853115 30th Aug 2020 1:48pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Interesting ~ it there any way to power the old one and see what the issue(s) might of been ~ lack of travel, slow, non linear, etc?
Post #853121 30th Aug 2020 2:54pm
LandRoverAnorak

Ah, I've just put details in the dedicated thread linked above. The short answer is no, though. It runs smoothly (slightly noisy in one direction) and there's no obvious reason for it to stick. Time will tell, I guess. Darren

Post #853138 30th Aug 2020 5:15pm
LandRoverAnorak

MAF Sensor Wiring
A week or so ago whilst looking in the engine bay for something completely unrelated, I noticed that the wiring to the MAF sensor was damaged:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I can only assume that this is vibration damage, as this plug is at the end of quite a long section of unsupported loom.

Fortunately, help is at hand from the forum shop where it's possible to buy both new plugs and pre-wired plugs with a longish tail of cables. I opted for the latter, which turned up the next day:

Click image to enlarge

After removing the loom tape, opening up the split flexible conduit and carefully unwrapping more loom tape, I exposed the cables feeding this plug. With the new plug and loom section laid alongside, I cut each of the four cables in turn with each cut staggered by a couple of inches from the last. This was to to avoid a bulky section of cable that wouldn't fit back inside the conduit. I then trimmed the insulation from each cut end and spliced the together with solder sleeves:

Click image to enlarge

This is the first time that I've used the solder sleeves and they're quite neat, if a little fiddly.

And it all back together again:

Click image to enlarge

It isn't shown in this picture but I also cable tied the conduit to the foam reinforcement of the pipe behind, just to give it a little bit more support. Darren

Post #853238 30th Aug 2020 10:08pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Ah, I've just put details in the dedicated thread linked above. The short answer is no, though. It runs smoothly (slightly noisy in one direction) and there's no obvious reason for it to stick. Time will tell, I guess.

Um, LRA, there’s a glaring reason. It was fitted into a Defender by JLR. All the reason a part needs to fail.... Whistle Very Happy Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #853267 31st Aug 2020 7:00am
LandRoverAnorak

Heh, heh, I was hoping for something a bit more specific Laughing Darren

Post #853273 31st Aug 2020 8:00am
LandRoverAnorak

Axle Retaining Brackets
Today's escapade involved fitting retaining brackets to the ends of the front axle, as discussed HERE amongst other threads. I shouldn't really need these brackets on my 13MY Defender as the issue they are designed to resolve only affects 11/12MY vehicles. However, there have been a few reported cases of axles failing outside of the specified VIN range and, for the cost involved, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I purchased the two brackets and new nuts a few months ago from two different places and they've been carefully wrapped up in a box since. The eagle eyed will spot the obvious issue that I didn't notice at the time of purchase:

Click image to enlarge

Yes, that's right - I have two LH brackets Rolling Eyes I didn't spot this until I'd already stripped down the right hand side, which involved a monumental struggle to remove the existing nuts, and there was a fair amount of cursing when I did Evil or Very Mad Still, on the plus side, the mounting nuts have now been freed off and fitting the correct one when I sort it out will be easy.

The brackets mount on the two bolts that secure the radius arms to the axle. The two on the drivers side in particular, put up quite a fight and I had to resort to a 3ft long tube over the ratchet handle to persuade them to let go!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

With the area cleaned up and a liberal dosing of Dinitrol on the mating surfaces, it was relatively simple to bolt the bracket into place (on the LH side):

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So there you go - a bolt on accessory that I hope I'll never need.

Edit: I did eventually get the correct RH bracket and fit it some months later. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 6th Jun 2021 10:45am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #853373 31st Aug 2020 4:41pm
LandRoverAnorak

Brake Disk Shields
Whilst I had the front wheels off, I also took the opportunity to fit some galvanised brake disk shields:

Click image to enlarge

These are Britpart items and whilst I generally have a healthy scepticism about their stuff, I figured how could they go wrong with something that has no moving parts? Easily, it turned out - the spot weld intended to secure the bracket that mounts to the lock stop bolt had failed on one of the shields, so I had to drill it out and rivet the parts together Rolling Eyes

With that little drama taken care of, the actual fitting was quite straightforward. Each shield is secured with the aforementioned lockstop bolt and a small 6mm bolt through a 'T' shaped bracket that hangs from the bottom of each swivel housing. That bolt is odd as it has an 8mm head whilst the nut is 10mm.

I did plan to replace those 'T' shaped brackets too, with some stainless replacements shown in the above picture. However, when I undid the first bolt into the bottom of the swivel housing the swivel grease started to drain out, which I wasn't prepared for! It turns out that there is a way to drain the later swivel housings after all. The brackets went back in their packet for the time being Rolling Eyes

Anyway, apart from that moment of excitement, the shields fitted straight on:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The old shields weren't bad but were beginning to show their age. Hopefully, these new ones will last much longer without too much attention.

I also took the opportunity to adjust the lock stops to gain a little more steering lock whilst I had them apart, so that will be nice Smile Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 5th Jan 2021 3:16pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #853376 31st Aug 2020 5:02pm
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Re: Turbo Actuator
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
For some time now, my Defender has been suffering from a strange intake-related noise, almost like that of a dump valve fitted to boy racer hot hatches, and occasional power delivery hiccups, which were explored in this thread a few weeks ago. I even took it to my local independent LR garage, who couldn't find anything wrong. Anyway, as a bit of a gamble I decided to replace the turbo actuator, which seemed to be a likely suspect for the problem and so far, so good!

The actuator is located on top of the turbo on the right hand side of the engine and is relatively easy to access. It's secured with three torx head countersunk bolts through the turbo casting and is connected to the acuating rod for the vanes with a small circlip. The latter has a slot in the end to make it easy to remove with a small flat bladed screwdriver. There is also a large multi-plug that needs to be disconnected by squeezing the tabs on each side.

The old one removed showing the connector to the actuating rod:

Click image to enlarge

The new one prior to installation. The original is a Hella part whilst this is obviously a pattern part, purchased from eBay. The significant number when finding a replacement is the 'G-72' stamped on the side, which also exists on the Hella unit under the dirt:

Click image to enlarge

With the original unit removed I was able to check that the linkage was free and also add a bit of lubrication for good measure:

Click image to enlarge

And the new unit bolted into place:

Click image to enlarge

The whole job only took about half an hour to do and was quite easy. The results were immediately obvious with much smoother power delivery in first and second gear and no odd noises from the air intake. A definite result!

Brilliant post: my 2.2 has from new suffered (albeit too strong a word) from the occasional power surge followed by a strange turbo noise for a few minutes, the problem has mystified LR warranty (well there's a surprise) & only does it occasionally, perhaps once a month. I've always suspected it was linked to the turbo & this post would appear to be related to my issue, so thanks for flagging this up. Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #853379 31st Aug 2020 5:21pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Re: Axle Retaining Brackets
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
... Yes, that's right - I have two LH brackets ...

Take some comfort from the fact that every single failure of a front axle flange that I have seen or heard about so far has been on the NS end of the axle tube. I don't know why this should be.

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
... These are Britpart items and whilst I generally have a healthy scepticism about their stuff, I figured how could they go wrong with something that has no moving parts? Easily, it turned out - the spot weld intended to secure the bracket that mounts to the lock stop bolt had failed on one of the shields, so I had to drill it out and rivet the parts together ...

It beats me that a firm can be so consistent with its production and supply of absolute junk with no quality control and - seemingly - thrive. It is truly awful that they peddle such crap and get away with it. Shocked
Post #853385 31st Aug 2020 5:53pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
As long as people continue to buy it they have no reason to up the quality. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #853390 31st Aug 2020 6:04pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
blackwolf wrote:
Take some comfort from the fact that every single failure of a front axle flange that I have seen or heard about so far has been on the NS end of the axle tube. I don't know why this should be.

I think the original paperwork from JLR only mentioned issues with the LH side, but I guess even they couldn't be so tight as only address the one side.?
Post #853400 31st Aug 2020 6:37pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
LandRoverAnorak wrote:

So there you go - a bolt on accessory that I hope I'll never need.

Thanks for this Darren - something else to go on the list that I didn't realise I needed to do! Laughing Rgds.

Chris
Post #853429 31st Aug 2020 8:55pm
LandRoverAnorak

blackwolf wrote:

That's encouraging...I think Laughing

blackwolf wrote:
It beats me that a firm can be so consistent with its production and supply of absolute junk with no quality control and - seemingly - thrive. It is truly awful that they peddle such crap and get away with it. Shocked

I think that part of the problem is that they're not consistent - not anymore. Some of the stuff they sell is pretty good, or are regular branded items, but it's often difficult to know what you'll get until something actually turns up. Darren

Post #853444 31st Aug 2020 9:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 37 of 57 <123 ... 363738 ... 555657>