↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > EGR Valve Cleaning!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 12 <123 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
The new blanks have just arrived but I have to wait a bit, as I'm checking something out with a remap for someone and can't put the blanks on yet as they'll mess up the results. Also been a bit hectic round here with sick wifey.

I'll also be sending Mal's blanks back in a day or two.

Will post info a.s.a.p but might not be for a little while Sad

Cheers
Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #187100 22nd Nov 2012 8:28am
ZeDefender

Just to show the blanks I had made. The idea is that they just slot in behind the gasket after the stud nuts are loose. Trouble is I have to get round a sodding bracket on the bulkhead (see left of photo) - can't believe I didn't notice it before. With a bit of luck I can spread the gap a bit Evil or Very Mad
If they don't slot in, I can still use them - I'll just have to undo the studs like Mal did (already bought stud extractor just in case) - don't really want anything to be detectable by LR though Confused

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Matt

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #187117 22nd Nov 2012 9:35am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Matt - I wouldn't worry about that little bracket too much I am sure there is a way around that. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #187142 22nd Nov 2012 11:56am
Jammer600

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
So with this blanking plate will it run/work without the light comin on? 90 Puma HT
Post #197028 28th Dec 2012 7:29pm
ZeDefender

Okay - first I apologise for not getting my ar*e into gear and playing with these blanks yet Embarassed
The weather here is crazy at the moment and we have -20 and snow one week then +15 storms and warm rain the next - I wore a t-shirt outside on Christmas day (fitting my ITG filter Mr. Green)

Yes - if you get the blank hole right size, the EGR warning light won't come on and the EGR valve will still see much less exhaust gas and soot. The problem is just that different vehicles seem to need different hole sizes.

Even though I am currently running an "EGR closed" remap (removable), I will be doing this anyway to prolong the life of the valve.

It should be interesting as in the next 6 months I can compare with the hole size required progressively for freeflow air filter, bigger intercooler, decat and perhaps hybrid turbo (as long as the missus doesn't find out - she wants a house Rolling Eyes ) Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #197034 28th Dec 2012 7:43pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Yes! It's a matter of trial and error and finding the blank with the right size orifice for your particular vehicle. I've been running with one for over three years now with no issues apart from the occasional MIL light in cold weather only. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #197037 28th Dec 2012 7:44pm
ZeDefender

Thumbs Up
Mal - I never asked. Did you fit a bigger intercooler? Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #197038 28th Dec 2012 7:46pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Hi Matt,

Not yet! Been diverting funds for security upgrades as more and more seem to be getting pinched! It is way up on my wish-list but had to 'appease my conscience' as there's no point spending so much on it if there's a likelihood some other toe-rag will have it away. After research BAS will eventually be my supplier....

Thumbs Up

Happy New Year to you and yours by the way.... Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #197042 28th Dec 2012 7:53pm
rusty66

Germany 
ZeDefender wrote:

Even though I am currently running an "EGR closed" remap (removable), I will be doing this anyway to prolong the life of the valve.

Sorry if I'm missing something here, but if you run your car on an EGR closed map you should be able to fit an all-off blanking plate, not see the MIL light and protect the EGR valve to prolong its life the best way you could apart from taking it out completely, shouldn't you?

Cheers
Boris
Post #197047 28th Dec 2012 8:05pm
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
Yes on the 3.2 I have put a full blank in and so the egr will completely not work ! 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #197063 28th Dec 2012 8:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

rusty66 wrote:
Sorry if I'm missing something here, but if you run your car on an EGR closed map you should be able to fit an all-off blanking plate, not see the MIL light and protect the EGR valve to prolong its life the best way you could apart from taking it out completely, shouldn't you?

Boris - yes, but I want to be able to take off the remap for LR services without the MIL coming on. If the EGR is only partially blanked, it won't cause an error, LR will never notice the plate (mine without the tab) and it will still give the valve some protection when the remap is on again. Hope that makes sense Confused

Mal - fitted your X-Defend yet? Mine's still in the packing Rolling Eyes

To you and everyone - happy new year to you and yours too Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #197078 28th Dec 2012 9:21pm
ZeDefender

Quick update - I finally fitted the 12mm hole EGR blanking plate a few weeks ago and everything is great. No warning lights and the self-clean still works (so no TV issues) and the improvement is as noticeable as with unplugging the EGR valve Thumbs Up

Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #368798 1st Nov 2014 7:04pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Matt - Gald it seems to be going okay with yours.
Mines now got a full blank with EGR completely shut with no cleaning cycle noises.
It will play up eventually what ever you do unless you do it this way.
To my surprise Alive can also shut the EGR but still retain the cleaning cycle.
In my case Gary just shut it all off as I had yet more MIL issues. Rolling Eyes
It's not cheap for a remap but neither are new EGR's and the will fail every couple of years and a a pain in the ass to change.
Mine started twice weeks before MOT.
Post #368827 1st Nov 2014 8:58pm
Way of life

Canada 1985 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black

Click image to enlarge

Good day fellow Puma owners, I have to start by saying this forum is great for help and knowledge.
I have a 2007 Puma engine in my rebuilt 1985 Defender love the motor and the 6spd. I was having trouble with the engine at speed going 110kph and little hills it would drop back to 80kph. After reading the EGR section of the forum, Im going to take mine off and clean it, also the black smoke when on the road, just a puff now and then when engine is under load. What should I take off and clean see picture below. Im on the other side of the pond hard to find shops that know anything about these great trucks. Im learning real fast the saying is true Land Rover helping make mechanics for 65 years. Will I need to replace any gaskets with the removal of any parts? Just that I will have to order them in advance of doing the job, if so would the gaskets from a 3.2 fit, we now have that engine this side of the pond.
Thanks for all your help. Thumbs Up
Post #454803 13th Sep 2015 10:04pm
mhd12103

United Arab Emirates 2011 Defender 90 2.5 TD HT Fuji White
black smoke
hi everyone .. i have land rover defender 2011 , I always find black smoke from the exhaust,so anyone help what the reason for that ?
Post #810380 15th Jan 2020 4:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 12 <123 ... 101112>