↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > EGR Valve Cleaning!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 12 <123 4 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
eamonnf

Norway 2006 Defender 110 Td5 G4 Challenge Tangiers Orange
Hi Nico,
Hi Nico,

Are you still thinking of the Autologic retune? I just bought the box myself and have performed the tune up on 2 Discovery 3's and a Defender TD5, all owners are more than happy, especially as it is saving fuel! Let me know and we can discuss options.

Regards

Eamonn
Post #60908 24th Feb 2011 1:45pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Mal - How did it go with the EGR in the en? Did it sort it's self? Or did you clean it or replace it? Mines playing up now on and off. No trouble to remove it just wondering what is a good solution obviously the best solution would be to replace but is cleaning possible? Like you say petrol or brake cleaner I assume.... Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #170799 25th Sep 2012 5:29pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Steve,

I ended up having a new EGR fitted under warranty, shortly afterwards I blanked it using the blanks with the various holes in the middle that you swapped out going smaller each time for optimum performance. Mine's still fitted and have had no problems since....

Thumbs Up

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic3115.html If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #170821 25th Sep 2012 7:04pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Mal - Interesting to read. I assume then with the blank that you've not had any issues then? May I ask what it cost you ? Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #170825 25th Sep 2012 7:19pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
I've "lost the plot a bit" - is there now an available mechanical blanking kit that actually works (i.e. no MIL)?
... with instructions Whistle

p.s. @Steve - wifey's Beetle is bangin' (just hope she doesn't realise what I did to it Wink ) Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #170832 25th Sep 2012 7:38pm
K9F

ZeDefender wrote:
I've "lost the plot a bit": )

Not really, my philosophy is if it ain't broke don't fix it! Two and a half years ago there wasn't any method of blanking the EGR valve without enduring a constant MIL light and a P1103 associated fault code. Dependant on how your vehicle was configured (RAI, remap, performance air filter etc...) a potential solution was derived whereupon you started with a blank with a large hole in the middle and worked your way down until you got a MIL light then went back to the previous larger blank to keep the light out. Well it worked for me and several others (see the thread) it also continues to do so. Up to that point I had endured several issues with EGR Valve related faults. Since then nothing at all.
BAS came up with a programmable switch off for the EGR but I don't have his remap, as stated I continue to run with the original blank and with 'what I am familiar with.'

Steve,

Pete from BAS originally gave a few sets away free in 2008 for trial purposes. 87% of a poll stated it improved the vehicle. I got mine from Robofarmer some considerable time later and cannot remember how much I paid but was ballpark 30-50 I think. It was worth it from my perspective just to rid myself of my EGR Valve woes. Even the swap out of my EGR Valve under warranty became a nightmare I recall because I 'lost my remap' during the process. Despite having no obligation to do so (due to it not being his remap) Pete from BAS came to the fore and offerred his expertise and advice to help me get my remap issues sorted, which did indeed take some time (four months in the end). If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #170939 26th Sep 2012 9:27am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Ah I see. The EGR seem's to have been a right PITA for a lot of people. I assume when you mention trying different sizes of blank there is a selection of blanks of differing sizes to choose from until the correct one is used without MIL coming on. I assume the small hole left in the blank is to keep the sensors ect working? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #170958 26th Sep 2012 10:40am
K9F

^^^^^^^^^
Spot on Steve. Thumbs Up I'm not even sure if the blanks are still available. If not you're welcome to try the five I have left over. If I can find them.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #170967 26th Sep 2012 10:47am
custom90

United Kingdom 
I got something right then. Laughing Thanks for the offer. Thumbs Up Trouble is if my EGR is already playing up is that still going to be an issue anyway? Or I guess with the code cleared and the MIL turned off that should be the end of it. The most annoying thing ever it is because it comes on for ages you think I'll have to change EGR for a new one and next minute the MIL goes off. Most the time I get the cleaning cycle after engine shut down but occasionally not. And occasionally a little EGR chatter. Thud Forgot to mention. What sizes do the blanks range from?

*EDIT*
Found these on E-bay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=egr+...;_osacat=0
Will have a look later as you will notice a few are for the 2.4 Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #170969 26th Sep 2012 11:01am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
My local indie now strips & cleans the EGR as a standard service item on all Pumas --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #170971 26th Sep 2012 11:23am
K9F

custom90steve wrote:
What sizes do the blanks range from?

Sizes are all detailed in the first post of my previous link....Had a quick look on your E-bay link, a word of caution, they seem to be a single size....Each vehicle can run differently dependant on tune, and extras such as Snorkel, RAI, air filter etc. etc. to get the optimum set up for yours I would recommend a trial and error with different sizes of orifice, should that be the way you decide to go. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #170973 26th Sep 2012 11:47am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thanks for all the info Mal and I've just had a look at the link Thumbs Up What I think I'll do for now is just get my MOT coming up over with and sort out the EGR I have at the moment / get a new one. From there on when I know everything is okay is then the time to fiddle with some blanks Wink Did you notice a noticeable performance increase with a blank fitted? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #170981 26th Sep 2012 12:18pm
K9F

custom90steve wrote:
Did you notice a noticeable performance increase with a blank fitted?

Whistle Steve do you ever take time to read the links? Blimey good job I've got a little time on my hands eh? Laughing

Taken from SAME link....

K9F wrote:
Well had the 18mm blank on for nearly a week now. No MIL light and may be my imagination but appears to be marginally more economical (will see with next fill). What isn't imagination is how much quieter the engine is!

The engine is discernably quieter with the blank fitted....What you won't get is that Ferrari type performance increase we all yearn for, for little or no outlay. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #170996 26th Sep 2012 1:21pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Sorry Embarassed Quieter I'm not so keen on I like the noise Twisted Evil But the economy side is a plus though. Had a little look at it earlier before it started raining but stopped because of the rain but seems easy enough to remove although the electrical plug must have a certain way of un-clipping. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #171004 26th Sep 2012 2:25pm
K9F

custom90steve wrote:
Sorry Embarassed Quieter I'm not so keen on I like the noise .

Sorry Steve poor explanation....It's the 'clatter' at idle that is quieter not the normal engine running sound....Also you're not putting so many impurities back into the engine.... Thumbs Up Bonus is better economy, depends how you drive though.

See Daniele's post page 2 of this very thread....

EGR deletion in diesel engines is considered justifiable by a wide range of people, including the environmentally conscious. Although deleting the EGR system results in increased NOx level; hydrocarbon emissions, particulates, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide are drastically reduced. Furthermore, EGR deletion results in an increase in fuel economy as high as 25%. Exhaust gas recirculated back into the cylinders adds wear-inducing contaminants and causes an increase engine oil acidity, which can result in an inefficient, poorly running engine. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #171005 26th Sep 2012 2:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 12 <123 4 ... 101112>