↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > EGR Valve Cleaning!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 12 <123 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
Forest of Dean 90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
With regard to EGR Valves, I think Ford took the view the Company is for Sale !! let it be someone Else's problem, with any luck we will of sold it by the time people have problems. Cynical I know but it doesn't mean I'm wrong!!!

(had mine replaced 4 times now)
Post #30196 20th Apr 2010 9:02am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
FoD 90,

You have got to have some form of record with four replacements....21,000 miles first replacement for me! Maybe we should canvass for EGR Valve changes, someone somewhere may see it and try to get a suitable resolution for one and all??? If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #30197 20th Apr 2010 9:06am
Forest of Dean 90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I hope a solution can be found, because its not funny if you happen to be gong down the Motorway at the time and loss power!!

But as the Wagon has been in the Stealers for the last 2 weeks awaiting a New Gearbox (none in stock on back order and no one knows when they will be supplied) the EGR is the least of my problems...
Post #30201 20th Apr 2010 9:43am
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
Need to treat it as a service item I believe, just had dual failure on our Disco, luckily 2 weeks left on the warranty! Whistle

Its not LR/Ford specific however, weakest part of a diesel engine someone was telling me the other day, they all put them in due to emissions.
Post #30205 20th Apr 2010 10:15am
K9F

TallPaul wrote:
they all put them in due to emissions.

I could be wrong here but I am led to believe that EGR Valves are fitted to remove a specific emmitted gas monitored on the US side of the Atlantic. The same specific gas is not looked for in the UK. The name of the gas escapes me ( Laughing no pun intended, but it did sound funny when I read it!). Hence we are able to remove it in it's entirety and blank it off. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #30209 20th Apr 2010 11:16am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
[quote="K9F"]
TallPaul wrote:
they all put them in due to emissions.

The name of the gas escapes me

there exhaust gases K9 Thumbs Up 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.

Last edited by Grockle on 20th Apr 2010 11:23am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #30210 20th Apr 2010 11:23am
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
I do believe they effect uk emissions at MOT, or so I was told...
Post #30211 20th Apr 2010 11:23am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
The symptom of lack of power is gradual or it happens suddenly? Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #30217 20th Apr 2010 12:26pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
On our Disco it was lack of power, slow away from junctions, until it went completely, then it was foot to the floor resulting in 1500RPM and no real motion!
Post #30231 20th Apr 2010 1:26pm
K9F

MK,

The power loss experienced top end was a sensation of the vehicle momentarily hanging back accelerating and then hanging back again whilst the accelerator was constant (foot to the floor). Lower end only happened a couple of times but is exactly as TallPaul describes pulling off from a standing start - nothing happens!!!

Grockle Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter You are indeed a plonker of massive proportions! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Funny one though! Thumbs Up

15:35 update: Just been informed that my vehicle is ready and the EGR Valve has been replaced. They also stated that they were unwilling to road test it as they deem my Mach 5s tyre width/slight protrudance as illegal. Not bothered as it will keep another 'oily rag' out of my driver's seat, after all I shall road test it myself. Only I am allowed to cane it! Happy days! Hopefully!

Dog Thumbs Up Dog If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #30232 20th Apr 2010 1:35pm
dgardel

Italy 
The EGR valve recirculate, in same engine rpm, Temp, and load conditions, controlled part of exhaust gases to the inlet manifold.

In this way the engine run with lower combustion temperature and produce less NOx
LINK1
LINK2

In modern diesel engines, the EGR gas is cooled through a heat exchanger to allow the introduction of a greater mass of recirculated gas. Unlike SI engines, diesels are not limited by the need for a contiguous flamefront; furthermore, since diesels always operate with excess air, they benefit from EGR rates as high as 50% (at idle, where there is otherwise a very large amount of excess air) in controlling NOx emissions.
Since diesel engines are unthrottled, EGR does not lower throttling losses in the way that it does for SI engines (see above). However, exhaust gas (largely carbon dioxide and water vapor) has a higher specific heat than air, and so it still serves to lower peak combustion temperatures. There are trade offs however. Adding EGR to a diesel reduces the specific heat ratio of the combustion gases in the power stroke. This reduces the amount of power that can be extracted by the piston. EGR also tends to reduce the amount of fuel burned in the power stroke. This is evident by the increase in particulate emissions that corresponds to an increase in EGR. Particulate matter (mainly carbon) that is not burned in the power stroke is wasted energy. Stricter regulations on particulate matter(PM) call for further emission controls to be introduced to compensate for the PM emissions introduced by EGR. The most common is particulate filters in the exhaust system that result in reduced fuel efficiency. Since EGR increases the amount of PM that must be dealt with and reduces the exhaust gas temperatures and available oxygen these filters need to function properly to burn off soot, automakers have had to consider injecting fuel and air directly into the exhaust system to keep these filters from plugging up.

EGR deletion
EGR deletion in diesel engines is considered justifiable by a wide range of people, including the environmentally conscious. Although deleting the EGR system results in increased NOx level; hydrocarbon emissions, particulates, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide are drastically reduced. Furthermore, EGR deletion results in an increase in fuel economy as high as 25%. Exhaust gas recirculated back into the cylinders adds wear-inducing contaminants and causes an increase engine oil acidity, which can result in an inefficient, poorly running engine. The increased level of soot also creates the need for diesel particulate filters to prevent environmental contamination.
 Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #30291 20th Apr 2010 7:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
So Daniele, do you still have the MIL on? I would like to get as much as 25% fuel economy.... Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #30294 20th Apr 2010 8:18pm
dgardel

Italy 
MK wrote:
So Daniele, do you still have the MIL on? I would like to get as much as 25% fuel economy....

yes, my mil in ALWAYS on Twisted Evil

25% is a little optimistic but a good 10-12% is a real value..... Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #30297 20th Apr 2010 8:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

Thanks Dgardel
NOx or nitrous oxide was the name of the gas 'that escaped me' Smile It is this gas that is measured as part of emissions in the US but NOT over here in the UK!
Still hope that someone can come up with a resolution to blank or bypass without a MIL light coming on! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #30301 20th Apr 2010 8:56pm
K9F

Anyone Seen My Remap?
Drove the vehicle after my EGR Valve replacement and due to reprogramming Big Cry I have now lost my Autologic remap! Big Cry It appears that due to the recent software changes and updates in the Land Rover world and the idiosyncrasies of the Autologic remap this now means it is currently not compatable with the current ECU software.
Autologic are currently working on the case (as it means a loss of revenue) and the upshot is I shall get a free reload of my map as soon as one is available...Bummer!

Big Cry

In the interim I have to put up with my 'underperforming' Defender...this is undoubtedly going be psycologically damaging for me, but a possible relief for other road users! Never mind, if the weather holds will have to get the bike out for thrills instead, that is of course if I can get my fat lardy ar5e in my leathers!

Laughing Dog Thumbs Up Dog Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #30378 21st Apr 2010 2:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 12 <123 ... 101112>