↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > EGR Valve Cleaning!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 12 123 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
EGR Valve Cleaning!
I am experiencing a slight lag on acceleration and my top end speed appears to have dropped slightly. I have a very strong suspicion that my EGR valve may be experiencing carbon build up. Has anyone any experience of cleaning their EGR valve and what is the best substance to use.

Thank you. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #20247 16th Dec 2009 10:25am
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I've just had new 'upgraded' one at 35,000 miles. Perhaps it needs replacing under warranty rather than cleaning.

I don't know what you'd use to clean it though. Solvent perhaps? Probably not a pink feather duster!
Thumbs Up
Post #20251 16th Dec 2009 12:05pm
K9F

Problem Solved Hopefully!
I have an Autologic Remap. Don't want the potential hassle of having it overwritten under diagnosis and having to have it re-installed afterwards. As I am 'Technically Able' and know it is the most likely cause it is less hassle for me to do it myself.

As a footnote and from a reliable source 'in the trade' my query has been answered - "Brake cleaner or petrol is the best cleaning solutions."

Thanks Anyway! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #20254 16th Dec 2009 12:13pm
nico76

Norway 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
Hi K9F,

How do you feel the Autologic tune is for your defender?

what about getting rid of the EGR all together? Twisted Performance have one and also BAS working on one.

Best Regards,

Nicolai
Post #20259 16th Dec 2009 1:40pm
K9F

Autologic!
Welcome Nicolai - first post 'n' all,

Autologic tune plus ITG performance filter works fine for me! The difference was amazing! You can look for yourself here: http://www.james-french.co.uk/power-upgrades.asp

Would love to get rid of the EGR Valve in it's entirety but until the method is perfected and the engine runs without the management light on i'll live with it! In my opinion running with an engine light on could potentially mask a different problem that you will not notice! (Could be wrong as i'm no expert).
What I have been informed is that the EGR Valve problems with carbon build up was a well known and documented issue in the 'Transit World.' Corrective action involved removal and cleaning in petrol or brake cleaner, a good dose of Millers Fuel Treatment and a hard long run to rectify for another 15 - 20k of trouble free motoring! I shall give it a whirl, unless EGR Valve removal is perfected in the next week or so.

Happy Christmas If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #20269 16th Dec 2009 3:05pm
nico76

Hi K9F - Smile - thanks for the welcome !

I have also tuned my engine, but must say I'm not too impressed. Might be that I had too high expectations?!?
The one I landed on had 150 hp and 420 nm on the paper, but dont feel like a lot of difference, though ..

I also looked at the Autologic tune and now beginning to regret I didn't do it with them.

Have also changed to ITG filter and mid-pipe replacement.

With Autologic you might be able to disable the EGR alarm? What do I know .. ?

I have run mine for 50k km, so I might also take a look at the EGR, do you think?

Nico
Post #20276 16th Dec 2009 5:40pm
K9F

Upgrade!
Nico,

One of the sponsors of this site Bell Auto Services also do a 'tuning kit' that you can carry out yourself. Numerous members of this site highly recommend him and you mentioned him yourself. Have a look here:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic446.html?highlight=bas+tune

I am more than happy with the results of my Autologic set up and the difference before and after was phenominal but to be able to demodify and remodify at will and at home possibly would have suited me better.
There are numerous kits that claim power increases but all they do is fool the ECU into thinking the fuel boost inlet pressure is less than it is. All you end up with is a power upgrade achieved by throwing more fuel at the engine, be careful what you go for. A recommendation is better than going for something just because it is cheap! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #20279 16th Dec 2009 6:03pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
When you say carbon build up are you referring to blocked pipes or restricted movement of the mechanism Question
Post #20285 16th Dec 2009 8:16pm
K9F

Restricted and intermittent movement of the mechanism due to close tolerances and the build up of carbon deposits. Am led to believe that in some vehicles the valve itself (mechanism) can be manufactured from a ceramic/porcelain type material. Will have a 'look see' over Xmas clean it and report back. I am no expert but it does sound feasable and that's all the information forthcoming at the moment.

Happy Christmas. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 20th Apr 2010 7:42am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #20316 17th Dec 2009 9:27am
nico76

Hi,

I agree with you - I didn't see the BAS tune after I had made up my mind. I ended up with one tune which have good rep here in Norway, but feel they are better on mainstream cars like audi and vw .. anyway, will see if I'm not going to look at Autologic and BAS again at a later stage, since you feel there is a good difference.

Pleased to hear what comes out of your EGR project!

Nico
Post #20320 17th Dec 2009 9:50am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Check the link in Pete's post

bell-auto-services wrote:
I know this has been spoke about many times but here is an interesting ford document on the egr valves that they are replacing on cars that have problems.

I know some of you on the forum have spoken to me about your cars problems and dont want to post publicly for fear of the main stealers.

This document will confirm some of the fault we spoke about and there causes.
There is only Ford who would decide to make an exhaust part from plastic Rolling with laughter

Regards Pete

www.bellautoservices.co.uk/Puma-transit-egr.pdf

This is a picture of the EGR pick up pipe.

Click image to enlarge

The exhaust manifold has 5 ports, the 5th one bolts on to the EGR pick up pipe at the back of the engine.

Click image to enlarge
Post #20332 17th Dec 2009 1:09pm
totoD110

please pardon my ignorance... I would like to know the general location of EGR inside the bonnet? TIA
Post #20389 18th Dec 2009 6:48am
K9F

Egr Valve
totoD110 wrote:
please pardon my ignorance... I would like to know the general location of EGR inside the bonnet? TIA

Thanks AndrewS very helpful, especially the pictures.

TotoD110 this is taken from AndrewS's post before your posting:

The exhaust manifold has 5 ports, the 5th one bolts on to the EGR pick up pipe at the back of the engine. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #20393 18th Dec 2009 8:47am
totoD110

^^^^ Ok thanks will look for it tonight. Thumbs Up
Post #20490 20th Dec 2009 4:51am
K9F

110SEB wrote:
I've just had new 'upgraded' one at 35,000 miles. Perhaps it needs replacing under warranty rather than cleaning. Thumbs Up

The subject of EGR Valves appear to run and run in different guises in numerous threads on this site. Before Christmas I had EGR Valve woes (see above) and investigated the process of cleaning the valve itself. In the interim I started using Millers Fuel Treatment and my EGR Valve woes seemed to subside. K9 thought 'Sod It' i'll not bother cleaning it, it seems ok now! Embarassed
Had to call LR assist week before last as MIL light on and a couple of occurences of total lack of power when pulling away prior to eventual 'hard latch of MIL light. (Not funny when you've got something bearing down at you from a junction).
Upshot is vehicle is in as we speak having an EGR Valve swapped out under warranty. Wish Pete from BAS or another knowledgeable individual could come up with a blanking solution that 1. Doesn't put on a MIL light. 2. Doesn't involve you spending a fortune on kit to increase airflow through the engine to prevent MIL light coming on!
Wonder why Land Rover themselves haven't come up with a viable solution either, EGR Valves can't be cheap and they must have swapped a few out under warranty in their time going by the problems on this site!!!
Never mind! Dog Thumbs Up Dog If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #30191 20th Apr 2010 7:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 12 123 ... 101112>