↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > The definitive Defender ICE thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 65 of 69 <123 ... 646566 676869>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
You'd need to buy the LR accessory active sub / Amp which is genuine and likely significantly costly but would be plug and play I would have thought hence the wiring in situ.

I'm still working on my own passive system, the Defender doesn't lend its self well to audio installs as it is designed for purpose and not for audio.

The weather is a real pain because I don't have indoor parking in any way, but it's coming together nicely.
1500w increase in power in the pipeline. Twisted Evil Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #744535 7th Dec 2018 6:24pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
I have seen for sale an ex Defender SWE-1200 with LR plug but no control box or remote.

I am tempted to take a punt on it, but can anyone confirm that the original Defender item did not require the control box or remote?

My truck has the Alpine CDE-133BT head unit so would this control the sub, even though not supplied from factory though with under cubby wiring, or am I barking up totally the wrong tree?

Thanks. Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #744964 10th Dec 2018 2:16pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
So, I have done more research on here and thanks to K9F and others in this thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic5451.html?view=next it seems clear the OEM SWE-1200 has no controlller or remote and the the head unit will control the sub per the spec here https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/SingleView/CDE-133BT

Think I might give it a whirl Razz
Post #744986 10th Dec 2018 4:19pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
OK, so for those that are interested I ordered one of these, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpine-8-Powere...2749.l2649 with some trepidation and it arrived today. Apparently they are out of new Defenders and the condition suggests that with just one small mark underneath. Backing plate to go in the cubby included. I haven't installed yet but feel it was a bit of a bargain and wanted to share. Apparently they have a few. Supplier might even be Twisted as it came from LR Automotive, Thirsk. Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #745557 13th Dec 2018 5:49pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
LR Surplus is part of Twisted. The sub you bought was a take off part.
Post #745561 13th Dec 2018 5:54pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Very Happy Thumbs Up Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #745564 13th Dec 2018 6:04pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Update from me, sadly due to work commitments my install is taking far, far longer than expected.
That being said, it has become a lot bigger and another box arrived today also.
(No, I shall not disclose the content at this stage. ) Laughing

Put up some of my old install like power wiring loom on eBay as well, as the old system whilst great spec has to be removed and replaced due to changes in the system.

A one of a kind 4ga power feed with quality parts I took out, just the old and new install are different by far. It is a kind of kit as it fits in more or less easily as I did all the hard work getting everything just right.

I have nearly everything I need for the new install, it’s just having the time free to get on with it. Twisted Evil

Click image to enlarge

What is everyone else up to lately? Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #780929 10th Jul 2019 8:41am
NineCherries

Scotland 2000 Defender 110 2.5 TD CSW Oslo Blue
Hello, I'm relatively new to defender ownership so I've been reading through this post bit by bit for speaker inspiration, so I hope no one objects to it being ressurected.

As of 2020, what speaker options are there on budget that are direct replacements, if possible, under the factory grills, without having to use spacers? My passenger side (2000 td5) has the wiper motor slap bang behind it and has scuppered all my budget plans.

I have a set of vibe 10cm 2ways from my Jimny that I tried today but they are about 6mm too deep. And the 13cm components I had spare will need a larger spacer than I would like to use to come close.

I'm trying to keep the look as close to standard as I can. There is a small spacer already fitted to the crappy 20 year-old paper cones that are there at present, drivers side in the pic to show the spacer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Tony.

Click image to enlarge
Post #810897 18th Jan 2020 7:42pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
BarbelJim on here has 13cm speakers fitted, or at least did.
I think. (If I recall correctly!) that it was a TD5.

I seem to remember that the hole needed a little cutting out away from the wiper motor area.
But you have to be careful as it was quieter close to the edge.

I am yet still working on my project, as I'm parked outside the weather is a big pain with getting things done but it's coming on.
The reason it's taking so long is because it's pretty big, not physically big as such but a lot to it.
With working as well, having free time is scarce even more so with a decent day without it raining.

It's coming on very nicely though. Mr. Green Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #810904 18th Jan 2020 8:35pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Looking forward to see the install steve Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #810912 18th Jan 2020 9:17pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Steve,
I've just noticed it's been nearly 8 years since you started the thread. To take that long it must be a seriously impressive system but bar a few cardboard boxes I can't see any photos. Unless I've missed them?

Is it an audiophile or competition type setup? Can you post install photos or specs? WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #810919 18th Jan 2020 10:35pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I’ve had two systems since this thread was started, the original worked perfectly for many years. Then my HU was out of date the Kenwood and I thought about a re-fresh which is the second build now that I’m on.

It’s been around two years in the making, it’s taken longer than I envisaged due to import times last year waiting for parcels and having free time and decent weather to boot.

Unfortunately we’ve had rain since August too, which pushed back my plans again and delayed and extra painting I could do as well.

Let’s just say it isn’t what I’d say competition spec, but up there. 8+ speakers and 3x Amps and a lot of wiring involved that I am working on today.

Brands are Pioneer, Kicker, Stinger, Xtronz and Knu Konceptz. 😈

No skimping on quality or expense spared.

If I had access to a garage with space shielded from the weather conditions it would be a lot more rapid and easier to get on with but we can’t have it all.
At least it comes with job satisfaction in the end. 😀 Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #810967 19th Jan 2020 11:25am
custom90

United Kingdom 
We’re also lucky in the respect that Defenders, especially late models have high output Alternators as standard compared to many tidily little motors out there with Alt outputs of about 80A.

Although Class D Amp circuitry is very beneficial these days and with decided load on other electrical running gear like LED headlights these days and things are useful too.

Although I wouldn’t likely be listening to music in the hours of darkness. 95% of the time I drive is in the daylight hours unless I have reason not to and have to be somewhere.

Regarding the audio.
I always find if you want quality and a big system the USA is the place where it is at.
The range is improved, and although there is some the range of brands is massive and far less of the Chinese rubbish that can be very poor.

The stuff we have here, or did have can be absolute rubbish.
The few brands we have or did have that was good quality has ceased to exist due to Chinese junk flooding the market. Rolling Eyes

For example, Kenwood no longer offer a 1DIN flip out HU Deck. A big no from me because people myself included like a choice. 2DIN doesn’t fit all vehicles without major mods either..

Proflex OFC cable has pretty much ceased availability. And instead there is a load of cheap jack CCA cable around.

Always avoid CCA Copper Clad Aluminium Cable.
You want Oxygen Free Copper, ideally Tinned too so TOFC. Usually in the specs.

Very costly, but there is good reason why copper is used. It’s copper that is used in household installations too and that’s for good reason. Not Aluminium!

The same applies with primary power cables, speaker wires and RCA cables although the latter do have sterling silver in conductors too.
Again, costly but they are the best.

The Land Rover loom is only fit speaker wires wise for its factory fit. Anything upgrade on that needs to be re-wired.

I left the original loom in place obsolete and am adding a new loom in completely separate. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #810971 19th Jan 2020 11:41am
oneten110

United Kingdom 
The best ICE without any doubt whatsoever is the soundtrack provided by a V8.
I find driving a Defender so involving that I cannot recall turning the radio on, for years.
There is so much background noise from tyres, transmission, wind and other sources there is little point in spending any money on a sound system. It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #811559 22nd Jan 2020 10:46pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I haven’t used my system now in what, it must be 3 years now.
Because it’s been taken apart, and being worked on etc.

There is a lot of things Defenders are, and are not suitable for and we all have our likes and dislikes and different uses.
The market was originally aimed at the rural market and farmers yet many people live in urban areas and their Defender has never been off of the beaten track.

Noise issues can be combatted with soundproofing, but that doesn’t come for free or without work too.

I think the Defender is an amazing multipurpose vehicle. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #812073 26th Jan 2020 5:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 65 of 69 <123 ... 646566 676869>