↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Alpine iLX-705D? Double din friendly?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

Alpine iLX-705D? Double din friendly?
I’ve been waiting for ages for Alpine to bring out a double din unit with wireless CarPlay and it snuck in a few months ago, the iLX-705D.

I’m only wanting an Alpine unit as it matches my factory sub and feels more factory.

Has anyone got one yet?

Crucially, does anyone know/have a gut feel for whether it will work with a Puma double Din dash? I’ve aware (and know first hand) that some units are fractionally too long to fit in the dash due to the reinforcing steel section immediately behind the unit.
Post #960876 7th Aug 2022 1:27am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
It will work with a puma double din dash, I know that much. I’m planning on picking one up this week so I’ll keep you in the loop.
Post #960886 7th Aug 2022 8:07am
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
It’s the same as the 702 from what I know but just newer software like the wireless part.

Would love to upgrade my 702 to the 705 just can not get the man maths right yet 😂 Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #960900 7th Aug 2022 10:29am
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
I've just Googled the model number you quoted and it looks like a single DIN unit with a 7 inch screen, so not a double DIN per se. I looked at the instructions, looks like you need an installation kit to make it fit a double DIN cage.
Post #960958 7th Aug 2022 7:43pm
Race.it

It’s the newer version of the 702 yep it’s a single din back end, you can have the single part at top or bottom, mine is at the bottom then the front is double din, so you need the actual double din facia. The unit actually screws to the facia so not fits like a single din would. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #960959 7th Aug 2022 8:07pm
Gasket

Superb - thank you.

Co1 - apologies, I missed your other thread where you mentioned you were buying this model otherwise I would have asked you directly. Yes, any reports of how it fits would be massively welcome. The most I've ever spent on a stereo is £100... so to invest that much I want to make sure its right Very Happy
Post #961239 10th Aug 2022 1:45pm
Co1

No worries gasket. Took delivery of it yesterday. Will be installing this weekend so I’ll do a little write up if there are any tricky bits.
Post #961266 10th Aug 2022 6:04pm
Co1

First lesson learned today gasket: the reverse camera won’t work unless you enable it on the screen. You could spend a couple of hours trying to problem solve it, but I recommend just turning the bloody thing on in the settings menu!!

Got everything prepped, ready to fit tomorrow.
Post #961550 13th Aug 2022 5:47pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I am another who doesn’t read instructions and would have done exactly the same as you Co1 Rolling with laughter

Glad you got it sorted and as my father used to say ‘it’s important to learn from your mistakes, but even better if you can learn from the mistakes of others’ Thumbs Up
Post #961554 13th Aug 2022 6:30pm
Co1

I did actually read the instructions but there was no mention of it!
Post #961555 13th Aug 2022 6:32pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Oh sorry - that’s not good is it.

I’ve noticed a lot of new technology doesn’t have ‘decent’ instructions and assumes we will just jump into the ‘set up’ phase but in my case I need both - and then I don’t read things properly…

Still - you’ve hopefully saved others a lot of time and heartache Thumbs Up
Post #961560 13th Aug 2022 6:38pm
Race.it

Second one connect the handbrake switch cable as without that you can not get into some settings if it’s like the old one. Like the camera guide lines Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #961575 13th Aug 2022 9:50pm
Co1

Right then, unit is in. Few things to note:

There are loads of cables on all the various looms and they all get in the way. Strip out what you don’t need to make life easier. For example, this unit has a built in amp, but has a loom that you need to connect a sub (which I have) and this same loom also has connectors for two more amps, as if one wasn’t enough.

Because of the Amp, the install is tight. I cut the metal bracket between the bar that runs across behind the dash to make more space. I couldn’t get it in without doing this. You can just make it out in the pic:

Click image to enlarge

I assume you are going from single to double din? If so you will need an extension loom to extend the hazard and rear heated window switch. You want about 500mm so you can route it right round the back out of the way.

Navigation only works through car play. It says to mount the gps antenna thing on top of the dash. I didn’t, I did it under the dash and it works fine

When you go to the DAB radio, you won’t get any channels. You have to go into the menu and select that you want to use the powered DAB antenna. Seems a bit daft as you don’t have any choice if you want to listen to DAB.

Overall, it’s a really nice unit. The sound quality is superb, equalisation is spot on. Really please with it. Final thing: you going to want to buy some screen wipes!

Click image to enlarge
Post #961635 14th Aug 2022 6:24pm
Co1

Final final though: mount your auxiliary buttons central in the space. It’s makes it easier to install. Unfortunately I had to cover some previous holes so hat to come much further left.

Click image to enlarge
Post #961636 14th Aug 2022 6:27pm
Gasket

Co1 - that's incredibly helpful, thank you for sharing and looks like you've done a great job.

Yes, you're right - I would be moving from a single DIN factory setup to a double DIN.

The only oddity is that my vehicle is a base Station Wagon. This means that I only have 5 buttons to transfer from the single DIN fascia to the double DIN:

Heated rear screen
Fogs
Rear washer
Rear wiper
and Hazard.

I've just bought one of Martin's excellent kits to let you replace the large Defender hazard switch with the smaller Disco II hazard switch (which is identical in size to the other defender button).

As I don't have AC or heated seats or heated front screen, all means that as the double DIN fascias come with 5 holes for switches I can fit a double Din fascia and I won't need the auxiliary switch panel at all.

I also have a factory (retrofitted) LR/Alpine Sub.

Really good to see that it can be done and all points noted on the need to extend the switches.

Just a couple of questions:

Is the DIN selection issue (manually choosing the powered antenna in the menu) a one off or do you have to do that every time you use the radio?

The comment re: the nav only working through carplay. Is it a case that the stereo doesn't have its own navigation system (not that I'd use it, I'd use carplay anyway) or is there something in a defender install that means this doesn't work and you have to resort to using carplay?
Post #961644 14th Aug 2022 8:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>