↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Sankey MkII Trailer - My refurbishment starts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 9 123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Sankey MkII Trailer - My refurbishment starts
Hello

After getting the ok off the Boss for a Sankey trailer I have been searching around, auction sites, MOD sites, forum members, General adverts etc.

Basically when we go camping we tend to like a few luxury's (we are used to a Caravan) However long story short it was stolen just before our summer holidays last year and took months for the insurance to sort. We get another but not for a while however we like to explore.

The Trailer also means I hope we can take our bikes easier as I hope to fit a rack to the top. Its not going to be an expedition trailer. For now just a camping gear trailer with bike space.

Thanks to the forum I sorted a Nato hitch... Prior to looking at getting one of these trailers I knew nothing about them, towed thousands of miles but on a std hitch. Now after asking many questions I'm understanding the Mk1, Mk2m Mk3 and the other wolf and penman models of trailers. Then a nato hitch, dixon drop plate etc etc a lot to get your head round.

I decided a Mk2 is slightly more popular and at a price I was happier with, so started looking. Eventually found one around 30 miles away and looked in good condition compared to many I had seen, So went to view. A deal was done and the guy gave me a month to collect (as I needed to sort a dixon drop plate and the nato hook etc). Then within a week he text to say it needed moving within the week !!! panic...

Nato hitch fitted to std LR tow-bar so is WAY to low and I knew this but it would allow me to get it home. Not pretty at all. However another forum member with the same trailer and a drop plate has shown that it will sit much much better Smile

Click image to enlarge

I will aim to paint this so it blends in a bit and also not pictures are the new clips etc I bought for it.

Click image to enlarge

Here is the trailer, Sankey MkII wide track with drop tail gate.

Click image to enlarge

It was around 3pm when I started giving it a quick jest wash, and my car as that had been neglected...

Click image to enlarge

I think its in great condition.. no obvious rust, and even my karcher has started taking the paint off so I don't think its had too many coats over the years? I have lots of questions to all those who have already done what I'm doing but one I have is.... My karcher washer is probably at least 10 years old? I will google it but given it already started removing the paint would a more powerful one be better?

my one

Click image to enlarge

As you can see some paint already power washed off Smile including the tub

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

ooh and one of my car as it looked MINT after I washed it, its been filthy for weeks...

Click image to enlarge

After towing it back around 30 miles, initial thoughts its very solid. Very very solid. I like the fact I can see it in mirrors (with width of the Defender). It doesn't bounce around like my garden tip trailer empty..... It is very well built and the drop plate, jockey etc all feels very strong and built to last. A great bit of kit !

Lots of question but a few for people who have already done this.

1) The underneath looks to have the thick tar like rust prevention I've read about and a pain to remove, and its doing its job. Do I leave this, add to it? Blast it off and start again. Can I paint over it?

2) The tub removes is this just the 6 large bolts? and some hefty mates

3) Tyres I will change, will 235/85/16's fit these rims as I would like eventually to match my Defender rims but for now just the tyres and these are what my car has (i think)

I will be asking more questions as I start my little project, doubt much will happen quick (family man, full time job etc etc) but it should keep me busy Smile

Thanks to all who have helped so far....

Very Happy
Post #493075 16th Jan 2016 8:44pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
Great pics and both looking good.

I hope to see your full progress with the trailer. Thumbs Up
Post #493078 16th Jan 2016 8:50pm
stanley

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Will be watching this thread with Internet , looks to be a cracking set up !
Post #493080 16th Jan 2016 8:54pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
Great idea to use a Sankey - been thinking of something similar myself as they are virtually indestructable.

IIRC the NATO hitch is usually fitted onto military 90/110 directly to the rear x-member with a spreader plate behind, which would give you the correct height I think.

When I previously had the need to have an interchangeable 50mm ball or NATO I used the dixon bate adjustable slider type, with 2 different sliders, which seemed to work quite well.

Looking forward to seeing how it progresses!
Post #493087 16th Jan 2016 9:04pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Thon

I have the bits ready to fit (actually arrived Friday when back from work) however needed to collect it Saturday morning and no time to sort.

Your right the MoD would secure the Nato hitch directly to the cross member using the 4 bolts.

I have this

and hopefully when fitted I can do this...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Which brings it almost in line with the 4 bolts on the cross member plus I can put my normal bar back on Smile

This however if used on highest setting also means either a higher spare wheel carrier or as the forum member whose pictures these are use it one down. Still works and sits level.

(pics of hitch taken from a forum member offering me advice) Thumbs Up
Post #493093 16th Jan 2016 9:20pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
Looks like it'll be absolutely spot on Thumbs Up
Post #493104 16th Jan 2016 9:49pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Found your thread! As you know I'll be watching with interest. Just out of interest why not fit the nato hitch direct to the cross member and keep the Dixon bate standard hitch below? Would this be an option to keep both hitches useable at same time? Just wondering....
Post #493395 17th Jan 2016 7:37pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

With my current set up the Nato hitch would not quite fit above the back plate into the 4 bolts of the cross member. It would mean a fair bit of phaffing.

I was also not 100% sure that there should be a back plate behind the cross member to help strengthen it however it does not seem there is a way to get to it if there should be. The bolts would just screw in and tighten....into a box type section. It didn't seem right?

With the drop plate I should be able to leave the std tow ball in place all the time and take the nato hook off and use as and when (its not the nicest hook in the world) although I will try and spray it.

You can see in the picture the bolts slightly out with the std towbar and also the lock at the bottom of the nato hook would not sit neatly. The lock enable me to fix the nato hook so it does not rotate should I tow a trailer that has a movable hitch.

Click image to enlarge
Post #493443 17th Jan 2016 8:54pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Its started then Thumbs Up Looking forward to seeing which direction you take this.

The tub is 6 (or it could be 8 ) bolts plus the tie down eyes fix through plates in the chassis. You can just make them out on the pic below, 3 across the front and 3 on the back

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Tub is at least a 2 person lift, but 4 will be far far easier. The black underseal is like a schultz stone chip material. If its not coming off, I'd leave it and give it another coat over the top.

As for the nato hitch I'm pretty confident that you wouldn't have any strength issues bolting it straight to the cross member. The issues you will encounter is the hitch fouling on the spare wheel if left on the standard carrier, and if left in the open position will stop the rear door opening/closing.

JOW, the nato hitch is a pretty big bit of kit, so having the ability to remove it when not needed I've found a big benefit. Probably saved a couple of falls out the back too, as no doubt the kids would try and use it to stand on getting in/out

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #493499 17th Jan 2016 10:04pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Points well made, thank you. Thumbs Up

I look forward to seeing progress Scott

Cheers

James
Post #493619 18th Jan 2016 10:53am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Ok not much update, mainly gathering information gathering...

However:- Drop plate attached which should get the height better. Will maybe have to get the rear wheel carrier that enables the wheel to be slightly higher up for it to work even better though. It looks close in the picture but the rear door does open and close Smile

Click image to enlarge

This should allow me to tow my normal 'tip' trailer and remove the nato hitch for when I need it, or leave it on as it looks menacing and acts as a good 'park sensor...'

Things I have done..

1) I've managed to source some new reflectors for the rear,
2) Enquired about shot blasting / sand blasting, and every other form of blasting and decided as its quite ££££ I will have a go myself first. My labour and time (not that I have much of that is free..) will see how this goes..
3) Asked around about painting and looking into this myself, learning all sorts about stuff I never knew.. but getting some good advice Smile 2 pack, clear coat, 120 grit, Orbital sander etc etc..
4) Bought some paint stripper, car branded mega stuff apparently with all the bad stuff left in before the EU made it safer.
5) Bought a 7 pin plug to start converting the Nato plug, Also have the wiring diagram, I'm colour blind so this could be fun.
6) Bought a new break away cable, rather start with a fresh as I don't know how old the one is currently.

I want to try and work on it, in what I call the bad garage (we have two garages the good one attached to the house) and the bad one set back... its bad as it leaks a little but only on the side wall... I can live with that. Trouble is its full of the collection of stuff a family man with 2 kids acquires over the years and I've also leant off my dad never through any wood away as you may need it...in fact never really throw anything away as it 'could' be handy. So its a Job in itself to get this project started.

As a bonus also (and you can see my 'bad garage' just behind) my dad is building me a carport Smile so when this is done it can be utilised as an outdoor workshop also Smile Great !

Click image to enlarge

Lighter nights soon so I hope to get going. Its good to do all the research in the comfort of the sofa with the log burner on Smile

Items I could do with if anyone knows where, New Jockey wheel handle

Very Happy Thanks
Post #494456 20th Jan 2016 3:44pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Scott, just double check you can still get your tip trailer to sit on the tow ball properly. The slider mounting plate fouled my standard ball hitch.

Ross 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #494460 20th Jan 2016 4:00pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ Good call

I did think I could add another backing plate to push it out slightly if needed the bolts are more than long enough to take it.

Thanks
Post #494461 20th Jan 2016 4:08pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Stacey007 wrote:

1) I've managed to source some new reflectors for the rear,

Just a quick check on the reflectors: are your new reflectors the solid red triangles as used on standard (civilian) trailers, or the military type with a number of little round red reflectors on a white centreless plastic triangle?

The reason for asking is that the latter kind, whilst OK for military use, are illegal for civilian use on the public highway, and if your trailer is or was fitted with them you need to replace them with the standard solid red triangle.

Many more recent military trailers have the standard civilian type anyway.
Post #494466 20th Jan 2016 4:49pm
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
>Stacey007< - Just a quick thought, could you not get hold of a second slide plate for the normal tow hitch to allow you to have one for each and just swap them as required? this would allow you to mount the fixed drop plate a bit lower in it's proper position and be fully supported.
Post #494470 20th Jan 2016 5:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 9 123456789>