↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Main Grenadier discussion thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 95 of 106 <123 ... 949596 ... 104105106>
Print this entire topic · 
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
It’s strange how most of us dream of having enough pension to chuck it all in and retire comfortably so we can do the things we want to without the need to work.

Billionaires seem to want to find the next thing to invest in and make their lives more difficult.

I am like you spudfan, I know little about football. What I do know is that if you need to mortgage the company you are buying up to its eyelids to afford it, and you still want to take your dividends, money has to be saved somewhere to pay for the debt. The Glazziers seem to have been past masters at doing this. No wonder the fans are uptight.

At Jim’s age I would be looking at a Caribbean island hideaway somewhere where the sun shines a lot. Sorry to say this Manchester, but most times I have been there, your climate comes nowhere near Laughing

Nothing to do with Land Rovers or Grenadiers but it appears the Brothers who bought Asda have done something very similar and saddled the company with enormous debt.
Post #1025063 18th Feb 2024 9:43am
LR Nuts

Every one knows LR were shipping the Puma, last of the line, at a loss !
Post #1025070 18th Feb 2024 10:23am
Rashers

Yes. It was a tough job trying to develop a Defender look a like, from scratch, and I take my hat off to him. They have developed a good looking truck which more or less does what he set it out to do.

Not that you would ever find out the truth, but I wonder what the profit margin for a Grenadier is as opposed to say the new Defender or even a G Wagon?
Post #1025083 18th Feb 2024 12:03pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I saw one for the first time some weeks ago, I’m not sure what I think of it really, some aspects are really nice, other things not quite so much.
I think it would have been nicer if it was a little more bulky, but also not rounded off.

I prefer NAS style to Euro, by design that’s just me.
With the New Def, I prefer the rear to the front, and I’m not quite so keen on the wheel arch design.

But we all have different ideas as to what we like and dislike. Very Happy Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1025098 18th Feb 2024 2:29pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
The problem is, that Land Rover got the old Defender so right in every way, that nobody can make anything that looks better.

The Grenadier is a great effort but it still looks like someone drew a Defender from memory.
The new Defender is also a good effort but it can't match the old one for presence, the old one looks as good outside Balmoral Castle as it does outside a farm.
lt's completely classless.
You can park one in Knightsbridge and nobody will give it a second glance.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1025111 18th Feb 2024 6:40pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
LR Nuts wrote:
Every one knows LR were shipping the Puma, last of the line, at a loss !

Hugely doubtful and likely BS.... if it were true loads of vehicles would be the same, which just wouldn't make sense. Think about what you are actually saying vs the cost of parts and labour.

Hell, you could 'build' a new one with retail prices and garage labour rates and still be able to sell at a profit for the listed prices.
Post #1025113 18th Feb 2024 7:01pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
spudfan wrote:
If INEOS decided things were not working out financially with the Grenadier and took the decision to stop producing it, prices of existing vehicles would rocket upwards!

Rashers wrote:

I'm just not sure whether today, those people would be out there to pay over the odds for a vehicle like the Grenadier?

This is the answer spudfan. The list price is top money for the Grenadier, don't get me wrong. I can see the business logic to why the are priced as they are. But in many ways they are already over the odds..... I doubt there is any chance of used prices exceeding new ones. Not even if they packed up shop tomorrow.
Post #1025114 18th Feb 2024 7:04pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Rashers wrote:

Not that you would ever find out the truth, but I wonder what the profit margin for a Grenadier is as opposed to say the new Defender or even a G Wagon?

Profit is a hard thing to actually calculate. It sounds like it should be easy; list price - (parts + labour).

But if you want to include R&D or setting up a factory or even just the cost of employing a large workforce (pensions, tax, NI, benefits, recruitment, etc) it gets a much harder figure to truly calculate.

Also in terms of labour, how many people need to be included in that figure? Designers, engineers, production line technicians, marketing, infrastructure, cleaners etc etc etc. The cost to business is just the person on the production line or cost of the robot.
Post #1025115 18th Feb 2024 7:08pm
Rashers

I often wondered how much the warranty claims cost JLR with the old Defender? I would imagine nearly every single Puma ended up in the body shop at some point in its warranty period. Must of cost a small fortune

The R&D put into getting the Grenadier to production must have been eye watering!
Post #1025119 18th Feb 2024 7:33pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Why bodyshop for warranty?
Post #1025122 18th Feb 2024 8:33pm
Ashbyandy

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
CORROSION, CORROSION and even more CORROSION 😩, mine went in 3 times, had half the drivers side and windscreen surround replaced just before the 6 years was up

Andy
Post #1025124 18th Feb 2024 8:52pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Yep, my heritage went in for the window surround a couple of times and it also had a new set of wheels as they were bubbling and rusting. All within the first 3 years 😬
Post #1025125 18th Feb 2024 8:57pm
Rashers

Chicken Drumstick wrote:
Why bodyshop for warranty?

AC Grille, roof around alpine windows, windscreen surround and window blocks all succumbed to the corrosion mite Laughing Nearly all of the other trucks I looked at were the same.

The body shop in Norwich had a queue of them to do.
Post #1025128 18th Feb 2024 9:08pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
You mean the little A/C grille below the main front grille?

An occasional spray with WD-40 stops the corrosion. Windscreen blocks, change them for aftermarket ones for £50.

The old Defender was a vehicle you had to keep on top of. A trip round the vehicle with ACF50 or similar twice a year and none of the outside parts would show surface corrosion.

As for the paintwork, the roof paint was always poor as was the screen surround. Best to get it redone at a body shop and then you'll never have any more issues.
Post #1025214 19th Feb 2024 7:57pm
Rashers

I agree entirely lightning, but if you buy a vehicle with a warranty, I for one made sure I used that warranty. I paid for it so JLR can sort it in the first instance. At nearly ten years old now, it is over to me and they are some very good bits of advice.

Actually the new window blocks since they were sprayed by someone who cared, have held up really well and so has the AC Grille (that was showing signs of bad corrosion after only a couple of years).

I’m sure minor changes in production could have saved so many of the warranty claims. It’s almost like they didn’t care. I for one couldn’t believe a company like JLR could ever be accused of not caring about its loyal customer base Whistle
Post #1025215 19th Feb 2024 8:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 95 of 106 <123 ... 949596 ... 104105106>