↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Main Grenadier discussion thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 96 of 106 <123 ... 959697 ... 104105106>
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
The later (old style) Defenders were definitely not as well built as the TD5. Clearly someone went round the vehicle, saving money by reducing the quality.

The later models are still a fabulous vehicle but it's down to the owners to love them more than is necessary on ordinary vehicles.

If owning an older Defender you really need to be able to do at least some jobs yourself. Servicing the vehicle yourself saves a fortune and it's not difficult. lf you keep the receipts for the parts it won't affect the value.

l can't decide whether my next Defender will be a Puma or a TD5. Both have their merits, the Puma is better on the motorway and has a much better HVAC system for a start. But the TD5 is more user friendly and has that lovely 5 cylinder 2.5 engine.
Post #1025241 19th Feb 2024 10:08pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
lightning wrote:
... the TD5 is more user friendly ...

In what way?

At least the Puma has a decent gearbox not the ghastly R380! Laughing

I agree that in many ways the later vehicles are a disappointment. It all started to go wrong with the introduction of plastic and coil springs.
Post #1025244 19th Feb 2024 10:23pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l've heard that the Puma gearbox isn't great. Happy to be proven wrong though.
Post #1025272 20th Feb 2024 9:17am
blackwolf

It's a lot better in almost every respect to the R380, in my experience, however these things are completely subjective and one man's nectar is another man's poison.

I am intrigued by your "user friendly" observation though and would like to know what it in your mind.

To me, the TD5 engine behaves more like a traditional car engine (little power at the bottom and but a progressive and predictable ramp to the top end) and the TDCi is much more like driving a Scania (bags of torque at the bottom end and fairly flat thereafter). If you are brought up on cars - like most people - and want a car-like experience - like most people - you'll probably prefer the TD5. If you have extensive truck experience or want a workhorse for towing and heavy work, the TDCi kills the TD5 completely.

One the downside, the TDCi eats drivelines (but not gearboxes) if used hard, the TD5 less so since the engine is smoother and the useful torque is at a higher speed.

One the downside for a TD5, anyone in the second row breaks their neck in an accident, in the TDCi they have head restraints and live.

And so it goes on, no simple answer, horses for courses, don't buy till you try, and all that! Thumbs Up

I agree with you 100% about build quality, you would be hard put to find a vehicle built with less care than a late Defender. That is really what I was suggesting with my plastic and coil spring observation, it was downhill steadily from then.

And don't get me started on the "SUV" generation!

Edit for typo - "care" had appeared as "case" - thanks autocorrect!

Last edited by blackwolf on 20th Feb 2024 4:15pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1025275 20th Feb 2024 9:51am
lightning

United Kingdom 
l am on the fence between TD5 and Puma

l haven't actually owned a Puma Defender, although l've driven them. The better HVAC system certainly appeals although l would miss the vent flaps for fresh air.
Post #1025324 20th Feb 2024 3:15pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
lightning wrote:
l've heard that the Puma gearbox isn't great. Happy to be proven wrong though.

There can be a few issues, although most easily sorted. Ultimately though the same box is used in the same era Mustang GT and loads of people have successfully run 450-600hp through them. It is a much stronger box than the Rover ones.

The biggest weakness is the implementation, they just seem jerky to use, no matter how you drive. Not just the gearchange, but the clutch, throttle and electronics. Driving them quick off the line going 1st thru 2nd and 3rd gears is not easy at all. The R380 & Td5 is much smoother. But once rolling the Puma's go well and remapped they are another league. The 65 plate hardtop has been on the dyno making 190hp. But its party trick is 25-30mph in 5th and just roll onto the throttle, it'll shove you in the back and not let off until about 90mph. Very impressive.
Post #1025373 20th Feb 2024 9:06pm
blackwolf

Chicken Drumstick wrote:
... Driving them quick off the line going 1st thru 2nd and 3rd gears is not easy at all. ...

I feel that this comment tends to support my assertion above. Why would anyone want to drive a Defender "quick off the line"? It's a utility vehicle not a car! It's intended for lifting a 3.5 tonne trailer away from rest on a 1-in-4 hill. You wouldn't expect a tractor to be quick off the line, why expect a Defender to be?

If you want quick-off-the-line you should buy a car (or one of those ridiculous things now known as an SUV) not a Defender! Rolling with laughter
Post #1025438 21st Feb 2024 11:01am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Blackwolf - you beat me to it.

For me, one of the joys of driving the Defender is not being rushed. It's why it's such a great vehicle on a holiday.
Post #1025441 21st Feb 2024 11:09am
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
The 6 speed box does not like to be rushed, a slight pause in neutral smooths the change.

When I fitted Optimil high flow wing vent, Nugget Stuff intake plumbing and did the air box modification, this significantly improved the throttle response and smoothed out the typical jerkiness.

However, I agree with the previous comments. The Defender is not a sports car and nipping off the line is not something it does at all.
Post #1025443 21st Feb 2024 11:13am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Well, today l've made the effort to have a proper drive in a Puma Defender (2016 90XS HT) and l have to say, l've changed my opinion.

This one drove lovely, don't know if it had been remapped but the engine was smooth with no jerkiness or throttle hold issues.
The gearbox was slow but positive and totally in keeping with an old Defender.

The engine has so much torque, well relatively speaking, making it a great companion on the road. (l didn't take it off road or try the low range)

The heater was like a furnace (compared to a TD5) and the aircon actually cleared the screen. ln sixth gear it was at under 2,000 rpm on the motorway where my TD5 was around 3,000 at a similarly speed.

l love the TD5 but take back a lot of what l said about the Puma being less user friendly.
Post #1025494 21st Feb 2024 3:39pm
spudfan

Ireland 
We have two 110 2.4 Pumas (2008, 2011) and a 1992 tdi 110 station wagon. The tdi was the family car from 1996 until 2008 when the first Puma came into the fold. My wife has never driven a "car". She learned to drive in the tdi and passed her driving test first time. She drove the Puma and decided it would be hers!
There is nothing "wrong" with a tdi 110, you just accept it and it makes a great all around family car. I fitted EXMOOR high back second row seats when the kids were young. The heater is good and you cannot overload it as a family car.
Land Rover did things to the Puma yet still kept it a Defender. It is very quiet, the seats are great and still have the removable seat bases. Even the two rear seats in the seven seat 110 are good and there is still luggage space when they are in use.
The engine is nice and the vehicle is great on a long journey. I do not find any down sides to it. The paint work on the two of ours still looks very well. The doors are good heavy doors unlike past efforts.
The 2008 has had it's clutch replaced and starter motor but that is wear and tear. Both are still on their factory fitted output shafts. The 2008 has over 200,000 kms.
Fair enough the 2011 falls into the dodgy axle weld category and has had the magic brackets fitted.
The Puma is a wonderful drivable vehicle. The heater is very good. The 2008 has had to have the rear cross member attended to for the annual test (your MOT). It would have been nice if they had used higher grade metal for the chassis..Fair enough we have never owned a "car" so I am coming from a Land Rover back ground.
How you judge the Puma will all depend on where you are coming from. The wife has been driving the 2008 since.we bought it in 2008 and loves it. She thought the world of the tdi but the Puma is so much more refined but still a Defender. Some will say if it does not have leaf springs it is not a real Land Rover. I beg to differ. I have a series 111 2.25 diesel so I can comment on this. There is no downsides to owning and using a Puma. Thumbs Up 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1025505 21st Feb 2024 6:27pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
... Driving them quick off the line going 1st thru 2nd and 3rd gears is not easy at all. ...

I feel that this comment tends to support my assertion above. Why would anyone want to drive a Defender "quick off the line"? It's a utility vehicle not a car! It's intended for lifting a 3.5 tonne trailer away from rest on a 1-in-4 hill. You wouldn't expect a tractor to be quick off the line, why expect a Defender to be?

If you want quick-off-the-line you should buy a car (or one of those ridiculous things now known as an SUV) not a Defender! Rolling with laughter

The simple answer is, why not?

It isn't a tractor, it is a car as in automobile or auto carriage. You'd want to drive it quick for exactly the same reasons you'd want to drive any car quickly. Hence so many companies offering go faster bits and engine swaps.
Post #1025518 21st Feb 2024 7:32pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
New edition The Fusilier., now more G-wagon

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/ineos-autom...er_desktop Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #1025726 23rd Feb 2024 3:47pm
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
I guess that did not consider Coldstream as JLR probably have a trademark registered in that name to describe the water that flows out of the footwell of a Puma. 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #1025727 23rd Feb 2024 3:59pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Muddybigdog wrote:
New edition The Fusilier., now more G-wagon

If the G-Wagon was designed and made in China Shocked ...Chinese car companies seem to be the current masters of design barstewardisation and appropriation.
Post #1025728 23rd Feb 2024 4:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 96 of 106 <123 ... 959697 ... 104105106>