↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Discovery 4 vs New Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Defendit..

Netherlands 
Webless wrote:
on Friday I collect a 16 D4 Landmark, 1 owner, FLRSH, Ext warranty, 22k miles. So maybe I’m crazy,

So the journey begins, will it be a huge mistake? Will the engine explode on me ? Will I miss the Defender and all its greatness ?

I will report back…. Wish me luck 😬

Good luck ! Subscribe to LR Time from Vera and Christian . They are really devoted.

No Mud flaps for my 90.!
-----------------------------------------
P300 S on air, adv.+ offroad pack, DRL+fog, Dinamica Suedecloth + Ebony headliner/Cross Beam- Many Mods..
Post #986460 23rd Mar 2023 12:00am
Webless

United Kingdom 
Thank you, looks like a really helpful and quite entertaining channel. I know I will miss the Defender, it’s been reliable and faultless, I must say though I have found the boot size to be a bit more problematic than I thought (no kids/dog) and whilst I like the aesthetics, the rear swing door is I bit of a pain. 1st world problem and I’m sure the D4 will come with different gripes but the split tailgate just seems to be so much better. With the D4 (and how/where it sits on my drive) I will no longer have to keep swinging the door multiple times when I load up from the house. 👍 Just a big question on reliability with the D4 though 😬 ------------------------------
2021 MY P90 P400X, Santorini Black
Post #986472 23rd Mar 2023 8:34am
Logannz

New Zealand 
I have a D4 with the ultra reliable V8 petrol, so no crank issues, no turbos etc, I tried and tired to upgrade to the new Defender, but I just could never make it work for me as much as I like them.

The small boot (it really is very noticeably smaller), the early 4 cylinder engine issues, plus their lack of towing power, the super high price of the V8, and the rather temperamental tech are some reasons.

It probably will be my next car still, but I aim to get a few more years from the D4 before I make the move.

I think a professional clean of the D4, some paint touchups and minor repairs, and an Apple CarPlay screen upgrade would remove any last hesitation to keeping it for now.
Post #1002629 2nd Aug 2023 3:43am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Ive had about 4 or 5 D4's and they were good, I toyed with adding one as a toy, but the engine issues and crazy prices for nice ones was just off putting.

The defenders are different, the 110 does have a small boot but is a nice car, 130 of course 8 seat and has a bigger boot. The early engines dont really have any issues and are popular across the other vehicle line ups, but if you dont own a defender, i agree some crazy prices - that said i think they all are

I might have held on to my very last d4 (very last top spec one made) but i wouldnt go back to them now. Mike
Post #1002660 2nd Aug 2023 9:19am
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
I think the early Defender prices are starting to drop as they are starting to come out of warranty. Crazy to think they’ve been out for 3+ years already! 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #1002668 2nd Aug 2023 9:54am
RDR

United Kingdom 
The d3/4 were my favourite modern LRs they had the perfect balance of practical ruggedness and comfort. I’m in a range rover at the moment as the boots better than the 110. I keep looking at the 130 five seater but can’t make my mind up on it.

If it wasn’t for the crank issues worrying me I’d probably have kept my 2016 D4 for ever. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1002765 2nd Aug 2023 6:56pm
Redroof

Scotland 
I'm just new on here but as I have just traded my 2016 D4 Landmark in for a new Defender, I feel I am qualified to give my opinion.

Traded the D4 in after we had a D5 HSE D300 as a courtesy car to tow our caravan home when our D4 ad-blue injector blocked up and LR assist decided to recover it (3rd time in 6 months for the same issue, so they decided to actually change the injector this time instead of just cleaning it and the roadside).

I never liked the D5 and couldn't see past the D4. That was until we did 150miles towing and a further 70 un-hitched. The D5 is a better car in every conceivable way with one minor exception - the slightly smaller boot. It is comfier, drives better, better equipped and up to date. We never thought the D4 was old and dated until we had the D5 for a week. So, I called the dealership where it came from and asked if it was for sale (it only had 1500 miles on the clock). I called 4 times and was told each time someone would call me back. They never did, so I looked around and found a L663 Defender Carpathian at the upper end of my budget and traded in the D4.

The Defender is a far better drive on country roads, it doesnt sway and wallow (even though we thought it wasnt so bad for such a big car, and that was coming from an Audi RS4!).
Admittedly, it is considerably more complex with much more to go wrong, but you buy Volvos with your head, you buy Land Rovers with your heart (or with your brain removed). Reliability is comparable to the D4, and often the luck of the draw anyway. The seats are more comfortable, there's more room in the back seats, granted at the expense of the boot, however we realised we never maximised the use of the space in the D4 anyway, and it was a pain in the back to load and keep contents secure if only partly loaded - even with the LR cargo net!
The Defender is more distinctive, but seems to have less of a road presence. We've yet to tow with it but I have no reason it wont be as good as the D4 or better.

I just dont know if it will be better than the D5...

Overall, so far I am happy with the Defender, it does everything the D4 did and more. We convinced ourselves the D5 was too posh internally for how we use our cars, but I cant help but think the D5 might've suited us better than the Defender even though the Defender is the more natural successor to the D4.

And if anyone is looking for a late model D4 Landmark in grey with FSH and only 40k miles, it will likely be up for sale soon unless it has already been bought! Current Garage...
1998 Defender 90 300Td
2021 Defender Carpathian Edition
Post #1002996 4th Aug 2023 12:14pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Obviously very much personal preferences, personally I am more attracted by the look/character/etc than the drive. I like to park my car and as I walk away look back and think: "that looks good" very time! I have that with my Defender, my D4/LR4 and my series. I had it with my Range Rovers, Jeeps, Porches and Mercedes (380SL). Never had that with Toyota, VW, Peugeot, or Fords

I am sure the D5 is a superior vehicle in many ways but it looks like a Ford Expedition and if you have lived in the USA you are not likely going to associate that with a lot of excitement. Also the back is just not something I can get used to.

Most modern cars looks non-distinct, but the Defender does stand out. If I had the money (and the need) I would be buying a Grenadier though: stands out even more.
Post #1003005 4th Aug 2023 1:09pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Redroof wrote:

The Defender is a far better drive on country roads, it doesnt sway and wallow (even though we thought it wasnt so bad for such a big car, and that was coming from an Audi RS4!).

The D3/4's do wallow a lot. A weird design decision given how flat a Disco2 corners with ACE. The D3/4 never got the next gen version of ACE. It was only on the RRS (L320) and only standard on the quick ones, think it was an option otherwise. So not all that many vehicle with it. Can't recall the marketing name for it. Dynamic Handling or something.

So I agree, the new Defender being basically the same platform as the L405 RR and L494 RRS is a better on road vehicle. Although does maybe feel even more fat heavy estate car than the D3/4 did.

Don't take this the wrong way, not knocking the newer models. I think the intent is to make them more 'car like' on the road. And indeed if you took a BMW 5 Series Touring and added weight and height, you pretty much get the on road driving of modern LRs.

Redroof wrote:

The Defender is more distinctive, but seems to have less of a road presence. We've yet to tow with it but I have no reason it wont be as good as the D4 or better.

I just dont know if it will be better than the D5...

Should be very similar, as said above. It is mostly the same platform and suspension. Just slightly different tuning and a different frock.

On that note, that is probably the biggest issue with the D5, it is somewhat bland looking with an ugly odd rear.
Post #1003023 4th Aug 2023 4:06pm
Redroof

Scotland 
I think our D4 had some form of dynamic cornering system, it was certainly better than we initially expected, but in comparison to the Defender it was like a double decker bus!
The D5 felt like an estate car, solid and planted, and though I lamented their looks and smaller size I was immediately eating my words once we got on the road.
The Defender by comparison feels like you are driving a bigger vehicle, but going back to the D4 after a decent go in a modern LR and it felt like driving a tractor. Not dissimilar to the difference between the D4 and our 1998 Defender 90!

The fact I can ask Alexa to open my garage door and switch the driveway, porch and living room light on is simply fantastic though!

Each to their own, opinions like bums, everyone’s got one and they all stink etc!

Still love the look of the D4, always thought the new Defender should’ve been a revamped D4.
Always thought other D4s looked better than mine!
But I also love the look of the Defender, wasn’t sure when they first came out, but certainly do now.
Does look a bit like the DC100 concept of 10 years ago or so which made so much controversy - had it been named anything other than the new defender it may have been received better… Current Garage...
1998 Defender 90 300Td
2021 Defender Carpathian Edition
Post #1003037 4th Aug 2023 6:03pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
Like others I tend to have cars I like to look back at as I walk away. The D5 just didn’t do it for me, the biggest issue was the boot space and the awkward tailgate setup. Now I have a proper drop down tailgate again I’m reminded what I was missing even more with the D5. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1003052 4th Aug 2023 7:37pm
Moo

Ukraine 
I've been driving my daughters 2008 D3 a lot. You can tell its age against my Defender, but it's still a cracking car, far more practical and makes me smile. It reminds me of all our previous D3/4. Great cars. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1003063 4th Aug 2023 9:21pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
The irony of throwing the D5 in the mix (of which ive had 3 or 4 maybe 5 Shocked ) against the D4 (again of which ive had loads) and the defender comparison, is the boot on the D5 is way bigger than the Defender, although not quite as big as the D4, i never noticed a difference between them with what i needed to carry, more i had to arrange everything differently.

The dogs prefer the defender ride to the D4 or 5's we had at the same time.

The sports were far far better than the D3 or 4 (sorry), just smaller boot yet - but they drove so nicely, turn on dynamic mode and you could feel everything tighten up.

The sport (never did it in the FFRR though) is the only car of any ive had where ive literally driven across Europe and got out after a proper full day and felt refreshed. Mike
Post #1003129 5th Aug 2023 6:08pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
The D5 in SVX form would have been a beast but changes in leadership in the SV department killed it off - a real shame, because setting aside the power, it was the first D5 imho, that actually looked purposeful.

The D4 always looked good but as has been said, wallowed like a pig when taking corners fast. I ran a late one for a few years and used to see how much I could make it lean into a corner before my nerve gave out. It was definitely a vehicle that benefited from loading the suspension prior to hitting the apex.

I still like them but the engine issues, and believe it was better than the current car in terms of functionality, make it one that I cannot see revisiting.

As for the RRS - had a late model, 3.0 diesel, previous shape, from new and sold it at three years old because from 24-months it was requesting an oil service every 4-6 months. I wasn't doing mega miles and had a service pack, so it cost me nothing other than time and was inconvenient. On the third change, just before I sold it, the LR rep said it was easier to change the oil whilst they were under warranty than let them go pop and have the cost of a warranty engine. Perhaps just service dept chat but seemed they were all too aware of the 3.0 D engine issues.
Post #1003132 5th Aug 2023 6:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234