↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Discovery 4 vs New Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I’m going to view a Defender or 2 in the next week.

I doubt it’ll be as functional as My D3, but from the outside if you squint a tad the 110 is a bit Disco ish,
Inside I’ve yet to experience properly having only ever sat in 2 which didn’t Instill me with that urge to buy. The other thing is as you say Moo, ££££’s

Weighing that off with a vehicle that can carry off something special is a big ask, but it’s not until after it’s gone and you look back and realise the memory’s you make help form your opinion of that car that you’ve kept for a long time and driven thousands of miles in. DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #978615 18th Jan 2023 12:41am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Moo wrote:
I've owned my Defender 9 weeks now. In that time it's been to Milan twice and had some phone across Salisbury Plain, so I've got used to it.

I did look at the Grenadier but I had some info from someone involved in the project about on road long distance driving that made me think otherwise.

I kept my XC90 for 6 weeks after I got it because I wasn't sure and now driving a 14 year old D3 I'm even more confused!

Real world problem and all that. Laughing

The solution is more than one car Moo! I think my BMW/Volvo /VW combo works well
Post #978629 18th Jan 2023 10:58am
Moo

Ukraine 
Laughing

I wish! My wife is not that tolerant and understanding to the practical needs of multiple vehicles and has no emotional connection to them. Sad

She thinks my Defender purchase is daft, but she never liked the XC90. Her current view is to sell the Defender, put the money in our pension and just use our daughter's D3, which she says is far more practical! Rolling Eyes
Post #978630 18th Jan 2023 11:19am
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
D3
I'm 100% in agreement, a Disco4 is difficult to beat in terms of practicality.

Disco 3's are starting to look like a more reasonable purchase now, those that are still kicking about must have been reasonably well looked after and are not fetching massive money.

Have you considered a late L322?- Practicality isn't far off a D3/4- and a really good example can be found for about £12-15k

We considered looking for a base model, manual D3 (gearboxes and air being two of the common failures) for the business last year and came to the conclusion that for the time being we would keep the pickup and our TD5 110.

In honesty- probably what we would end up doing is buying a Touareg instead........not quite as practical but the build quality is far better.

Chris
Post #978631 18th Jan 2023 12:03pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Moo wrote:
Laughing

I wish! My wife is not that tolerant and understanding to the practical needs of multiple vehicles and has no emotional connection to them. Sad

She thinks my Defender purchase is daft, but she never liked the XC90. Her current view is to sell the Defender, put the money in our pension and just use our daughter's D3, which she says is far more practical! Rolling Eyes

Got to buy a XC70 Thumbs Up . My Wife is asleep in under 5min after setting off...... job done, win/win!
Post #978639 18th Jan 2023 12:17pm
stew 46

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
It’s so hard to find something that covers 99% of our needs , so our only way is we have 3 vehicles, I love the new defender and have been in a couple but unfortunately too many £££ for me until there probably 10years old Laughing ,
My 2011 USW 2.4 puma is great at doing its job of towing our digger and dumper around and pulling the boat in and out , but feck it’s noisy uncomfortable not great mpg and defo wouldn’t want it as my every day drive even though it looks cooool Laughing .

My 65 plate long wheel base transit top spec is amazing for moving materials , camping etc and 36 mpg and very comfortable.

And our volvo v70 again it covers any long runs , great mpg and goes like s==t of a shovel if needed ,

And all 3 cost us under 45 k , and that’s the only way we we’ve found can cover everything needed Thumbs Up

But I’d still like a nice new 110 in me drive Cool Cool

Click image to enlarge

Stew
Post #978642 18th Jan 2023 12:32pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
That's a nice selection of vehicles you have there.

l had a TD5 110 Defender and after adding extra soundproofing etc l thought it was okay on longer journeys, but the new one is in a different league.
I had fitted Puma front seats in my 110 and found them to be pretty good, however l'm only fairly small so didn't have any issues with the door being too close or my knees touching the dash etc.
Post #978652 18th Jan 2023 1:49pm
kenzle8a

I'm still baffled as to why people are comparing the L316 to L663.

One is a 40 year old designed farm vehicle that was riveted together and sealed with sticky gum...

I'd love an L663 commercial for the farm but our TD5 had half a tonne of hay in the back up an icy hill with neigh issues this morning and cost 1/16th of a new one. I've also done plenty of longer trips in it, we took it Mull at Christmas which was a 5 hour drive and it was perfectly comfy and I'm 6'4.

I also know a pig farmer who has sacked off his truck for a TDV8 L322 which cost him less than 4k and is used pretty much as a pick up, I like his logic of it he could have 20 L322's for what a L663 would cost him.

I'd find a nice TDV8 L332 or L320 less crank snappy and you could have 10 good ones for the price of a new L663, unless you really must have a commercial then a D4 commercial and a rainy day fund for a snapped crank is still a mega saving for nearly the same truck.

Last edited by kenzle8a on 18th Jan 2023 4:43pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #978684 18th Jan 2023 4:41pm
Moo

Ukraine 
pjm-84 wrote:
Moo wrote:
Laughing

Got to buy a XC70 Thumbs Up . My Wife is asleep in under 5min after setting off...... job done, win/win!

Laughing She has no problem falling asleep, its the lack of understanding when she's awake that causes me grief. The look she gave me last night when I said I was thinking about getting a Porsche Taycan and a D4 was enough to tell me it was a non starter and not to mention it again! Laughing
Post #978685 18th Jan 2023 4:42pm
kenzle8a

Man up and get the lot, my wife loves our Defender but also wants an L322 so she can drive something larger as she can't reach the clutch properly in the TD5 (short girl issues). She also wants a 911 at some point or a Morgan (I married well I think).
Post #978686 18th Jan 2023 4:45pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Lol...... the Porsche would be a no to me. No good for Dogs.

The only vehicles I quite like to buy is very sad....... Mickey Mouse Foden S21 2 stroke (Late Father hated them) or a DAF2800DKS (Late Father had one which I used to drive Whistle ).

SWMBO asked where I would park it. I said at my Dad's place in Wales Thumbs Up
Post #978694 18th Jan 2023 5:48pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
My friend has just gone from a Disco 4 to a Defender 110

l'll be seeing him today and will ask him for his viewpoints, and report back on here.
Post #978775 19th Jan 2023 9:10am
lightning

United Kingdom 
lord-haggis wrote:

One is a 40 year old designed farm vehicle that was riveted together and sealed with sticky gum...

I'd love an L663 commercial for the farm but our TD5 had half a tonne of hay in the back up an icy hill with neigh issues this morning and cost 1/16th of a new one. I've also done plenty of longer trips in it, we took it Mull at Christmas which was a 5 hour drive and it was perfectly comfy and I'm 6'4.

I also know a pig farmer who has sacked off his truck for a TDV8 L322 which cost him less than 4k and is used pretty much as a pick up, I like his logic of it he could have 20 L322's for what a L663 would cost him.

I'd find a nice TDV8 L332 or L320 less crank snappy and you could have 10 good ones for the price of a new L663, unless you really must have a commercial then a D4 commercial and a rainy day fund for a snapped crank is still a mega saving for nearly the same truck.

l think it's because people are changing from the old Defender to the new one. Although as you say it's a completely different vehicle it's still interesting to compare the two.

l did 90,000 miles in my old Defender and have obviously jumped 40 years in automotive progress with the new one.
Well, l say progress, it's not all for the better.

My ongoing L663 review on another forum is more a bit of fun really, as you can't really compare the two, but it's had a lot of interest from other owners and members.
Post #978816 19th Jan 2023 1:06pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
My perfect "3 combo" Moo.

Volvo is AWD so "my comfortable low slung Defender" (now) with 215hp

Click image to enlarge
Post #978835 19th Jan 2023 3:51pm
kenzle8a

lightning wrote:
lord-haggis wrote:

l think it's because people are changing from the old Defender to the new one. Although as you say it's a completely different vehicle it's still interesting to compare the two.

l did 90,000 miles in my old Defender and have obviously jumped 40 years in automotive progress with the new one.
Well, l say progress, it's not all for the better.

My ongoing L663 review on another forum is more a bit of fun really, as you can't really compare the two, but it's had a lot of interest from other owners and members.

I bought an 2004 4.4 L322 but hated it with a passion, I've since driven a later one and while still not ideal I can see the improvement.

However, I traded the L322 in and bought a 110 TD5 Double Cab, I've done about 12k a year in it and I've not missed the newer cars at all. I need to either sell or re-build dear Daisy as shes become known as at 171k shes feeling her life a bit now and I don't think another summer of towing our horse trailer is her happy place.

I'm thinking of the TDV8 L322 this time as I need something thats not going notice 3.2 tonnes of pony behind it, Id love a new L663 but can't afford one, the only thing that puts me of the newer L322 is I can't help but feel I look like a knob driving one. Although a bit less crank snappy than a D4.

If only they had made the D4 with the 3.6 V8, that would have been perfection.
Post #978865 19th Jan 2023 6:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>