Home > Technical > ATB (torsen) front and rear install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 21 of 23 <123 ... 20 212223>
Print this entire topic · 
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Lodelaner wrote:
LandymanStefan wrote:

I’m really interested to know if anyone here has had first hand experience of getting out of a cross axled style situation by using the braking technique to force the torque across the axle or if the idea isn’t that successful in reality.

Through experience and not inconsiderable cost, I would say that if you want to benefit from an ATB, keep it transparent on road and get maximum cost benefit, just put one in the back and gently feather the brakes.

I've tried a few combinations:
    - Rear ATB on a V8 90 Station wagon manual

then on a 50th Anniversary Defender auto (they don't have TC)
    - Front and rear ATB,
    - Rear ATB only
    - ARB locker on the rear only

The braking technique took a while to get the feel of in the V8 90, initially I was using too much brake and then learnt to feather the brake. All you need to do is give it a helping hand and provide a little resistance to prevent spinning so the tyre can find traction. The technique that worked for me was to just keep the power on and the back end would wiggle around - a bit like a Land Rover twerk - and then it would find the available traction and grip to progress.

I liked it so much I had front and rear ATB fitted to the 50th. With the auto box it was easier to left foot brake and it was pretty effective. However on the short wheelbase I didn't like the effect of the front ATB on tarmac - power-on understeer and the way it tightened its line when lifting off. It wasn't dramatic, I just didn't like it in combination with an Overfinched V8.

So I removed the front ATB and went with the rear ATB only. I ended up breaking the front diff though on a simple little rock-step that I was trying to climb up - I should have let the diff do its own thing. Instead I over-braked to find traction, not realising that I was cross-axled and a front wheel was spinning - and then I heard the horrible ratchet sound of gears as the front diff let go. I have a video somewhere - it still makes me shudder.

I then put an ARB in the back. I only ever used it when I was stuck - never to get into a situation where I got stuck. It became known as the 'unstuck' button and it was brilliant.

Thanks for the great write up and interesting hearing from someone who has had all the combinations im interested in.

What made you change from the atb to the locker in the rear in the end? Was is the shortfalls of the atb or a bit of an experiment.
Post #1001038 20th Jul 2023 9:58pm
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
jimbo55 wrote:
I think that Nigel is trying to prevent people breaking loads of other parts without thinking, if you drive with some mechanical sympathy and don’t keep spinning the wheels then there’s not reason as to why by fitting a locker/atb you’d need upgraded shafts.

It’s not usually the torque that breaks shafts or cv’a, it’s shock loading when a spinni mg wheel suddenly gets traction.

I ran a rear locker for 2 years in my old 300tdi and I’ve had twin lockers in my tuned td5 for the last 7 years. Both on 33” tyres and above, a fair bit of hard off-roading and abuse in that time. I have only used standard shafts and cv’s and touch wood never broke one.

I maybe overly mechanically sympathetic, but would much rather lock the diffs and crawl though somewhere than be spinning wheels and using excess momentum.

This is really interesting too, if i had a locker i too would only be using it for crawling over the obstacle, im not one to give it a bootful. if anything having a locker would enable me to travel over obstacles more slowly as i wouldnt need the momentum i currently have to get to bash over stuff. I would only be on standard tyre size too 265/75 so i do find this pretty reassuring.
Post #1001039 20th Jul 2023 10:02pm
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
LandymanStefan wrote:

Thanks for the great write up and interesting hearing from someone who has had all the combinations im interested in.

What made you change from the atb to the locker in the rear in the end? Was is the shortfalls of the atb or a bit of an experiment.

You're welcome. Smile

I'm just thinking back to why I changed and as I recall it was a combination of things - although I rated the ATB ( and still do) I just fancied trying a full locker, and I asked them to put one in the back whilst they were replacing the front one. It was fine with my gentle driving style and limited/occasional needs. JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #1001071 21st Jul 2023 10:10am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I just wish that Ashcrofts made a version of the ATB with a full airlocking capability, the engineering shouldn't be too complex.

Then you could have the ATB to get into trouble and the full locker to get out again.

I guess the market would be rather limited, but I'd buy at least two.
Post #1001094 21st Jul 2023 1:15pm
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
I’m pretty sure that years ago I saw that kam did a lockable lsd back in the day, maybe wrong though.

I’d certainly buy a pair if Ashcroft made tabs with selectable locking though, the on road benefits of atb and the off-road benefits of full lockers would be a very nice upgrade
Post #1001112 21st Jul 2023 3:42pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
the KAM one used friction plates splined to the outside of the side gears,

The only way you could have an ATB and locker is an ATB with a sliding collar on a extended half shaft spline like the KAM and Maxidrive locker Dave

Last edited by ashtrans on 23rd Jul 2023 4:00pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1001263 22nd Jul 2023 2:01pm
blackwolf

Thanks Dave, I thought that would be the case. Nothing in the pipeline I presume?
Post #1001290 22nd Jul 2023 3:52pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
not to do this, I am not a fan of the sliding collar locker design,

it would end up as compromise of both designs. Dave
Post #1001409 23rd Jul 2023 4:03pm
blackwolf

I have to say that I remain both impressed and completely satisfied with my front, centre, and rear ATBs, and they've never let me down.
Post #1001412 23rd Jul 2023 4:29pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
ashtrans wrote:
not to do this, I am not a fan of the sliding collar locker design,

it would end up as compromise of both designs.

That, is a very good reason to fit either an ATB or a locker Thumbs Up
Post #1001413 23rd Jul 2023 4:37pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
I have to say that I remain both impressed and completely satisfied with my front, centre, and rear ATBs, and they've never let me down.

Show off.... Bow down Rolling with laughter
Post #1001414 23rd Jul 2023 4:37pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:

Well... Two down and one to go... First proper drive tomorrow. Thumbs Up
Post #1009836 2nd Oct 2023 9:49pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I am also very happy with my front and rear Ashcroft ATBs will be doing the centre as soon as I have a good excuse DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #1011710 18th Oct 2023 9:09pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Two weeks on...
Two weeks on and I am still getting used to the ATBs. The difference is quite remarkable, but there are a few observations worth noting at this early stage. Miffy has covered 6-700 miles covering all grades of main roads and a number of green lanes as well.

Vehicle: Miffy is a 2003 TD5 110 CSW without ABS/TC. She has a moderate engine tweak. She does have a full roll cage and ARBs front and rear. Sitting on 285/75/16 AT tyres. She is not the heaviest, but she's no lightweight.

Observations

1) Quick junction pull off: This has been transformed. Previously the old girl would spin one front wheel if you gave the pedal a little poke and especially in the wet or cold. No longer. Mirrors. Signal. Shoot of the line... No wheel spinning. Positive acceleration. So much safer.

2) Lift off oversteer: Yikes, that was a surprise, not sure I have read about this one. This happens as you are turning into a corner and lift off a tad. With an open diff you'd understeer and power on out of the corner. But with the ATB in the front the reverse happens. It is not a problem, obviously you just keep your foot planted and hold on Rolling Eyes And the tighter the turn the more obvious the oversteer. Interesting experience the first few times.

3) Firm steering: This has been said before, but the front ATB does add weight to the feel of the steering. It is not horrid by any standard, in fact it has the feeling of positive resistance .

4) Return to centre: Also been said before. I like this additional return to steering centre. It is not scary but as above has a lovely positive feel.

5) Fast road: Well obviously within speed limits and the Defenders capability Rolling Eyes The ATBs are superbly invisible at speed, as you'd perhaps expect. But when you do have to plant the accelerator pedal whilst at speed to overtake there is no hesitation and the grip is marvellous. Feels planted.

6) Braking: I am not sure how the mechanics of this works, perhaps someone can enlighten me. The old girl appears to be stopping much much better. By that I mean shorter distances, straighter and it is almost impossible to lock up the wheels. It must be the transference of power L and R across the axle. I do wonder if this is going to accelerate brake disc and pad wear in the long run. But it is definitely something I can live with, the braking feels much more positive.

7) Gravel/Cobble tracks: Good lord above what a superb level of grip. Now Miffy has always been excellent on gravel tracks, never had much to complain about. She just bimbled along them every now and again into difflock and out again. But the difference is another level above this. Honestly the old adage of "low, difflock, 3rd - go anywhere" should be re-written for us ATB bods. Super levels of traction. Super confident. But, it extends beyond that because slow cobble descents

Cool Low and slow: I do like to go low and slow, engine braking down long scrabbly descents. I like the control and technicality of wheel placement. With the ATBs it is another level of control whilst going low and slow. Yes the steering is a tad heavier, but the additional cross axle traction is worth it. Super slow and controlled. Such a great addition.

So, take what you will from that two week review. I believe the steering is lightening slightly as the front diff is becoming used, it feels more transparent than it did initially. The rear is completely invisible. I cannot wait to see how Miffy does over the winter period, we get some incredibly variable conditions here in darkest Denbighshire and is one of the reasons for the for fitting the ATBs. Do I still wish I had ABS and TC.... Hmmm... Less so I think. I would love to drive a Defender with ATBs and TC out of curiosity. I have in the past toyed around with retrofitting ABS and TC to Miffy. It is not a dreadfully difficult thing to do, involved yes, but not impossible. But, I am a bloke who thoroughly enjoys the simplicity of mechanical components and I seriously doubt I would consider retrofitting ABS/TC anymore. Or at least if I do crave ABS/TC it will be for the challenge rather than the requirement, if that makes sense.

Lets see how things go from here Thumbs Up
Post #1011756 19th Oct 2023 9:42am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
For me with only an ATB front and ATB centre I find when hitting patches of standing water the car feels more controlled/stable.

Steering feels better but then I did have pretty much the whole front axle rebuilt (2x CVs, swivel bearings, wheel bearings, & Front ATB installed)

There is a roundabout on the way to work, that with the old diff I could get two or four wheel slide if I applied too much right foot on the exit, now with the new diff, it feels more planted.

I am yet to try a rally stage in the forest, 'Rocket in/rockets out' at Ty Croes circuit (https://www.angleseycircuit.co.uk/ left hand set of bends shown on the main screen) or Oulton parks grassed areas but this will come by the end of November. I have no doubt it will be better. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #1011757 19th Oct 2023 9:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 21 of 23 <123 ... 20 212223>