↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > UK firearm owners could fight back in terror attack.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
proloForęt

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Interesting that now in the USA that the areas of Open Carry are now the most safe against these crimes. So in case of USA, more guns carried by more people in open has leaded to less innocent deaths.
It is a bit like car accidents. I remember the theroy that if there was a sharp spike on every single steering wheel then there would be very few accidents anymore.
Post #631173 13th Jun 2017 8:50pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
There were armed police around Houses of Parliament, there were armed police in Nice, in Paris, in Germany where many officers carry weapons, but still did not stop the innocent from being murdered Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #631188 13th Jun 2017 9:41pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
blackwolf wrote:
Caterham wrote:

I'm very much for the idea.

Yes, I rather thought you might be! Rolling with laughter

Dare I suggest - with no disrespect or offence intended - that this is a perfect illustration of the pitfalls of this proposal !

No offence taken Wink

And regards shooting them in the back...not wanting to discriminate I'd suggesting in the back, front, side or top shouldn't matter either way. In fact preferably all three Mr. Green
Post #631197 13th Jun 2017 9:59pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Hang on - back, front side and top, isn't that four not three? Or five if you include both sides! Very Happy
Post #631203 13th Jun 2017 10:22pm
Caterham

3 or 4. What the hell?
Bit like a gun don't matter how you hold it so long a it goes bang.

Thumbs Up
Post #631205 13th Jun 2017 10:25pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
For some reason this thread is starting to remind me of this:

Post #631210 13th Jun 2017 10:45pm
Low-Range

Canada 
The storage laws apply only when you are not home to "supervise the firearms use". It only needs to be locked up when you are not home. Having a loaded firearm to hand is a choice you may wish to make. I live in a semi rural area. Emergency response time is probably 20 minutes. Eighteen minutes too late. If you cannot expect law enforcement to react in time to save you-you'd better be prepared to help yourself. Where I live drugs are a huge problem. And Violence as well. I wont say why as its politically incorrect. But believe me when I say, I'm prepared to protect me and mine.
Post #631211 13th Jun 2017 10:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Low-Range

Canada 
Good for cutting firewood as well. Laughing
Post #631214 13th Jun 2017 10:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Low-Range

Canada 
In Canada last year two terrorists attacked our Parliament gunning down one of two soldiers guarding a memorial. They had firearms BUT NO Ammunition. One of the attackers was shot by the House of Commons’ former Sergeant-at-Arms, Kevin Vickers, and Barrett “fired their weapons and neutralized the threat.”
Post #631216 13th Jun 2017 10:55pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
Huttopia wrote:
Um, a lot of the 'debate' is missing some practical points - a legally held shotgun should be in a cabinet. If the intruder is tremendously polite and considers it poor sport to deny you the time to go to find the key / go to the cabinet / unlock it / find the ammunition etc then best of luck. I can't see that scenario playing oit though, can you?!

Good point for a majority of gun owners, but I think there are more out there immediately available than you may think, particularly in rural communities. I know our local farmer is always equipped as you never know when pest control is needed, and even within our little village there are 4 or 5 such gentlemen.

That also excludes the blokes with tanks that we have mooching around the plain... Razz
Post #631222 14th Jun 2017 12:13am
proloForęt

Muddybigdog wrote:
There were armed police around Houses of Parliament, there were armed police in Nice, in Paris, in Germany where many officers carry weapons, but still did not stop the innocent from being murdered

These attacks were all ended by the use of guns against the jihadi. If there were more good with guns sooner in the attacks then the end would have come before it did and less innocent people hurt or murdered.

The village of my wife has a story with Charlie Hebdo attack. Now a family is without a father as he is berried nicely in the church garden. He just went to work on the electricity of the building next door. First victim. If he, his workmate or another had a gun then perhaps those 3 children would still have their father.
But apparently the concept of someone having the right to defend themselves is not acceptable to many people even at the cost of the jihadi winning.
Post #631250 14th Jun 2017 9:04am
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
One only has to look at "la chasse" here in France to see what a bad idea it is to allow the public to carry guns. They cant even distinguish between a Boar, a walker or each other Rolling Eyes The only terrorists in my part of France are "la chasse", they really do terrorise home owners and pets. Evil or Very Mad We've been shot at, had two men and a child shooting towards the back of the house, had shots fired across my land, close to my horses, and had a cartridge left in my postbox as a threat after we confronted them. Evil or Very Mad

Just imagine if they could carry guns in town Rolling Eyes

I'm not against hunting BTW. I come from a farming family, lived in the countryside my entire life and support organised hunting be it for food, pest control or culling. I am very strongly against hunting as a sport and armed vigilantes.

Last edited by Riverboy on 14th Jun 2017 10:00am. Edited 3 times in total
Post #631251 14th Jun 2017 9:24am
Caterham

/\ very sad regards the attack and loss of good people.

If the opportunity became available to train and become armed I'd happily pay.

What price can you put on being able to protect your family from such people in these scenarios.
Post #631252 14th Jun 2017 9:25am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
The term jihadi implies that there is some sort of religious authority to the action of the perpetrator, which from my personal interactions with various people who are faithful to the same religion as these attacker's claim to be, there is not. These people are criminals engaged in acts of terror. They are not mindful devotees of Islam or Christianity or any of the countless other religions. They are thugs doing the bidding of cowards. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #631253 14th Jun 2017 9:28am
proloForęt

About 5% of muslims live in Europe and more than 99% are peaceful and fine. My daughters best friend at school is from this faith and never I even consider this in my mind.

The problem is that these bad people, they are bad first, follow a different attitude that is actually practiced very widly on earth. You can not hide from this fact. For instance about 10 times as many live in countries where it is against their official law to be gay or even not a muslim. Some have death for this.

Europe is trapped into it own arrogance that it feel it way is the way of the world. It is not so it is easy for these bad people to find a group to encoragement them because it is much more numbers than peaceful in Europe. To them they are very religious in justification for what they do. More in world think this way than in Europe.
Post #631261 14th Jun 2017 10:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>