↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > UK firearm owners could fight back in terror attack.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
On the basis that dead people make terrible witnesses, I don't think your legal argument would ever take place Wink Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #631048 13th Jun 2017 1:07pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
A very good point! Thumbs Up
Post #631060 13th Jun 2017 1:51pm
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
Tony Martin....
The true fact is that he had had his certificate revoked AND therefore he had had his shotguns removed from his possession for threatening people trespassing on his property.

He then obtained a 5 shot semi automatic shotgun ( without a licence) which is a Section 1 firearm.
He then used this gun to shoot the scumbags who broke into his house.

His big mistake was actually having an unlicensed firearm & the general consensus was that IF he had actually had a licensed firearm then he may well have got off much more lightly.

Guy May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #631073 13th Jun 2017 3:18pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Not too sure about civilians with guns leave it to her Majesty, she's one mean dude!

Click image to enlarge

Or Cameron he is out of a job at present

Or seen as this lot can’t run an election give them the tools to do the job

Click image to enlarge
 For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #631076 13th Jun 2017 3:34pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Well put Chopperone

"The true fact is that he had had his certificate revoked AND therefore he had had his shotguns removed from his possession for threatening people trespassing on his property."

I have a shotgun certificate and have been shooting since I was a kid. First thing that was hammered home over and over again. Never point a gun, loaded or not at anything you do not want to shoot and never at a human.

I am not sure I could actually lift my twelve bore and point at someone, even in a case where I was being provoked. Believe me, I am not some kind of tree hugging do-gooder pacifist wimp, and I have very little sympathy for Mr Martins victim, but I was just as angry that his firearms were illegal. Two wrongs really do not make a right......

It is also worth noting that you need to be fairly close to someone to kill them with a standard choked twelve bore. They are nothing like a rifle.

I think I would rather hold the shotgun by the barrels and use it as a club to smack someone over the head than point it at them.
Post #631085 13th Jun 2017 4:06pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Riverboy wrote:
The laws are there for a very good reason and should stay as they are. The best argument against bearing arms is the USA. Who in their right mind would want Europe to become like them. Rolling Eyes Just look at Rallymental's picture above.

It is too easy to use the USA as an example of gun violence; however, as proloForêt has mentioned, people on both sides of the argument ignore Canada.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2378037/gun-viol...d-compare/

Canadian gun law and the result of it, should make the American's question where/how they are getting it wrong and, perhaps, give pause for thought as to how the ownership of firearms could be managed more effectively than an outright ban on handguns in the UK.
Post #631087 13th Jun 2017 4:07pm
Mr Fox

Rashers wrote:

I am not sure I could actually lift my twelve bore and point at someone, even in a case where I was being provoked. Believe me, I am not some kind of tree hugging do-gooder pacifist wimp, and I have very little sympathy for Mr Martins victim, but I was just as angry that his firearms were illegal. Two wrongs really do not make a right......

I'd like to hope any sane person would not "lift my twelve bore and point at someone, even in a case where I was being provoked" because that is not self defence. Therefore, hopefully, that is a moot point.

However, in a situation, where I felt the life of a member of my family, or myself, was being threatened, I would choose to defend them/myself.
Post #631091 13th Jun 2017 4:12pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
"However, in a situation, where I felt the life of a member of my family, or myself, was being threatened, I would choose to defend them/myself"

I agree Mr Fox. That would be a dilemma that I hope I never have to contemplate.
Post #631093 13th Jun 2017 4:14pm
Mr Fox

Rashers wrote:

I agree Mr Fox. That would be a dilemma that I hope I never have to contemplate.

100% agree

...but I would also suggest that our American and Canadian cousins would suggest that should that dilemma present itself, they'd rather be armed than not, which returns us nicely back to the original question on this thread.
Post #631095 13th Jun 2017 4:20pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Thank you, Chopperone, I have to admit that I had entirely forgotten that Tony Martin had had his SC revoked and used a five-shot pump-action shotgun, which is as you say a Section 1 firearm.

No winners in that case at all. It is hard to feel any sympathy with the deceased intruder.
Post #631099 13th Jun 2017 4:35pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Ah the age old question, should we reserve the right to arm bears? Hmm. An armed society is a polite society! What is oft forgot in this debate is that gun laws only affect the law abiding, not the criminal minority who are able to get hold of any number of otherwise banned items of weaponry. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #631114 13th Jun 2017 5:33pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
It is a stupid idea and completely over looks the fact that when a "situation " arises it is very often chaotic .

When someone is running towards a person on the ground are they.

A) A terrorist about to inflict harm
B) A brave soul stepping in to help
C) An armed under cover officer.

Chuck a load of armed people in to that mix and it is a recipe for disaster.

We talk as if the bad guy is the one in a black hat and we all know to shoot him/her. Just like in a film.

It isn't like that. Leave it to the professionals. HR064 Hampshire and Berkshire 4x4 Response
Post #631116 13th Jun 2017 5:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dorsetsmith

problem is they shot them self in the foot Whistle refrains to Cameron and party and not HRH

gilarion wrote:
Not too sure about civilians with guns leave it to her Majesty, she's one mean dude!

Click image to enlarge

Or Cameron he is out of a job at present

Or seen as this lot can’t run an election give them the tools to do the job

Click image to enlarge
Post #631124 13th Jun 2017 6:13pm
Low-Range

Canada 
In Canada, thank God, we still have the right to defend ourselves. If someone were to break into my house I would use a firearm, as I'm more than equipped to do so, to protect myself. As the Adage goes it better to be tried by twelve, than carried by six. If you actually look at the statistics, most gun related deaths are at the hands of the police, or criminals, not citizens. Suicides make up a small part as well. We had an incident at a Montreal university that sparked so much controversy that Long gun registration was initiated. It was a cluster F**K . The ineffective and erroneous juggernaut took years to implement and was more of a job creation program, than anything else. Well, not including of course the Political kudos for appearing to do something. The truth is after registration not a single death was ever prevented from happening as a result of Registration. People kill each other, guns don't. There are far more stabbings than shootings. Firearms may be used in the "heat of the moment" but our storage laws are quite restrictive...as they should be. As well, proper storage eliminates the possibility of children or young teens getting access to them.
Would armed citizens help in a terrorist attack, not likely. But then again neither would the police as seldom are they there in time to apprehend. I'm not blaming them. Its a financial thing. Sorry if I've ruffled feathers, but I hunt and shoot at our local gun range. I have many rifles, pistols, and Black Powder firearms. I am an honest citizen, minus speeding, and I'd like to think a good citizen in a democratic country, should have the right to firearm ownership. By the By we must go through a rigorous firearms application process and have passed a firearms instruction course. Hand guns even more so. The screening process to purchase and or have in possession any firearm, includes a criminal records check, possible interview, and questions to be filled in by spouse or significant other. Handguns are much harder to get and you must belong to a Gun Club or be a legitimate collector.
Sorry for the rant.
Post #631145 13th Jun 2017 7:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Um, a lot of the 'debate' is missing some practical points - a legally held shotgun should be in a cabinet. If the intruder is tremendously polite and considers it poor sport to deny you the time to go to find the key / go to the cabinet / unlock it / find the ammunition etc then best of luck. I can't see that scenario playing oit though, can you?!
Post #631164 13th Jun 2017 8:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>