↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > UK firearm owners could fight back in terror attack.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Low-Range wrote:

Do I want everyone to carry, NO. But I cant say I'm against an armed citizenry. See Denmark, Sweden etc.

Interestingly, I'm led to believe Switzerland has the highest rate of per capita gun related suicides in the world. Eric I'm sure could add more detail, but their conscription/home gun ownership led to a spate of suicides and led to quite a debate a couple of years ago. Not sure where they are now.... Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #651590 20th Sep 2017 7:33pm
Low-Range

Canada 
I cant say I disagree with anything you've said. All I know is the "Government" is quite capable of unilateral dip- Censored moves. It operates on the whim of the media, the path to reelection, and has little or nothing to do with facts, or what is right. In Canada we have a long standing tradition of hunting, and respect of each others foibles. I hope it stays a democratic and compassionate state. I should have added despite the politicians we have to choose from.

Last edited by Low-Range on 20th Sep 2017 7:41pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #651591 20th Sep 2017 7:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Low-Range

Canada 
I don't know as suicide is legal, right, or wrong. I do know it devastates the family. A close friend's son committed suicide, unfortunately, and he used a gun. It gutted his parents. If the rifle hadn't been present I don't know if he still would have done it.
Post #651592 20th Sep 2017 7:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Grenadier, you should write and publish your memoirs. There's a best seller in there for sure! Sounds like you've seen some stuff! 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #651597 20th Sep 2017 7:49pm
Lateralus

United States 
The US does have a culture problem.

Black Americans make up 13 percent of the population and contribute to roughly half of the gun homicides in America. They have been ghettoized by progressives in America, suffered the racism of lowered expectations through affirmative action and told that personal responsibility isn't their responsibility because of slavery/racism etc. They came out in droves to elect the first American president of color in 2008 and 2012 and instead of addressing the highest double digit unemployment in our black communities, the president focused on a loser healthcare plan and worked hard to bring in poor foreigners his party could exploit.

What makes the whole thing more diabolical is, as progressives or "liberals" engineer black American culture to keep them dependant, this culture in turn adds to the gun crime statistics that they use to justify to the American people the need for stricter gun laws.

I don't know what "liberal" means in the UK in terms of political beliefs but in America it has little to do with individual Liberty.
Post #651674 21st Sep 2017 5:27am
jerseyman

Laterulus, Liberal is an adjective that means willing to accept opinions or behaviour different from ones own. Liberty is a noun that means the condition of being free. I hope this helps.

I normally regard myself as a liberal sort of fellow, but my opinion of the remainder of your post obviously proves that I am not.
Post #651691 21st Sep 2017 8:29am
Lateralus

United States 
Liberal means free. There's nothing liberal about today's "liberals". If you disagree with any of their ideas your a xenophobe, or racist, or homophobe etc. If you think the government's budget is wasteful you're a fascist or something like that. Today's liberals platform of freedom is the right to unfettered abortion and men being able to defecate in a woman's restroom. They are not liberal on property rights, on gun rights, school choice, taxation and many other personal freedom issues. If you live in New Jersey Iam sure you're used to it though.

Progressives have taken a good word and turned it into something it's not. Kind of like "affordable" in the affordable care act. Or "patriot" in the patriot act.
Post #651804 21st Sep 2017 1:59pm
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
Liberate means free, liberal doesn't constitute freedom in a physical sense, it is as mentioned above a state of mind.

Cheers alex 98 300 tdi 90 project
94 Range Rover vogue 4.2 lse
79 911 sc
08 130 double cab utility
Post #651809 21st Sep 2017 2:24pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
And hard as it may be to believe there was a Jersey before there was a New Jersey.
Laughing 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight

Last edited by Ramsay on 21st Sep 2017 5:27pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #651818 21st Sep 2017 2:44pm
Lateralus

United States 
Come on, many Americans don't know who the vice president is, I bet less than 1% know of an Island named Jersey in the UK. And I did preface my statement with "if".
Post #651834 21st Sep 2017 3:47pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Still doesn't change the fact that liberal doesn't mean free Whistle Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #651838 21st Sep 2017 3:58pm
Lateralus

United States 
In a broad sense I believe it does:

"adjective: liberal
open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values.
"they have more liberal views toward marriage and divorce than some people"
favorable to or respectful of individual rights and freedoms.
"liberal citizenship laws"
synonyms: tolerant, unprejudiced, unbigoted, broad-minded, open-minded, enlightened; More
permissive, free, free and easy, easygoing, libertarian, indulgent, lenient
"the values of a liberal society"
antonyms: narrow-minded, bigoted
(in a political context) favoring maximum individual liberty in political and social reform.
"a liberal democratic state"
synonyms: progressive, advanced, modern, forward-looking, forward-thinking, progressivist, enlightened, reformist, radical"

If you have a liberal view on gun rights you believe in less restrictions on guns. If we are making progress as a society and getting away from authoritative tyranny, then why do "progressives" seek to hinder gun rights to ordinary citizens? That's not progress.
Post #651863 21st Sep 2017 5:27pm
jerseyman

Lateralus wrote:
Come on, many Americans don't know who the vice president is, I bet less than 1% know of an Island named Jersey in the UK. And I did preface my statement with "if".

Kind of off topic but there isn't an Island called Jersey in the UK. It might seem pedantic but it is important to us. ( My user name is in fact meant to be vaguely ironic as I am not a Jerseyman as I have only lived here for 43 years, but like many immigrants very much regard the country as my own).
Post #651911 21st Sep 2017 8:44pm
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Lateralus wrote:
Liberal means free. There's nothing liberal about today's "liberals". If you disagree with any of their ideas your a xenophobe, or racist, or homophobe etc. If you think the government's budget is wasteful you're a fascist or something like that. Today's liberals platform of freedom is the right to unfettered abortion and men being able to defecate in a woman's restroom. They are not liberal on property rights, on gun rights, school choice, taxation and many other personal freedom issues. If you live in New Jersey Iam sure you're used to it though.

Progressives have taken a good word and turned it into something it's not. Kind of like "affordable" in the affordable care act. Or "patriot" in the patriot act.

Pretty much spot on for the "lefty-luvvie" liberals in this country too. Much strident shrieking and placard waving when a Conservative MP described some female "activists" as Feminist Zealots but it's OK for the women doing the complaining to refer to Conservative voters like me as "f*****g Tory Scum"
Post #651980 22nd Sep 2017 7:16am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
jerseyman wrote:
Lateralus wrote:

Kind of off topic but there isn't an Island called Jersey in the UK. It might seem pedantic but it is important to us. ( My user name is in fact meant to be vaguely ironic as I am not a Jerseyman as I have only lived here for 43 years, but like many immigrants very much regard the country as my own).

You be careful distancing yourself from the rest of us too much - we're still responsible for your defence! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #651991 22nd Sep 2017 8:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>