↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > UK firearm owners could fight back in terror attack.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Capt_Steve

England 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
UK firearm owners could fight back in terror attack.
Interesting headline in the news today. I am lucky in that I don't think that I would have to wait an hour for armed response to turn up, but know a lot of guys on here are quite rural.

From reading some past posts, I would guess that we have a few serving or ex military chaps on the forum, would it not be worth training a few as a response in these areas?

Cheers

Steve
Post #630963 13th Jun 2017 8:30am
proloForêt

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I would not let any law the politician put on me from stop me to use my gun against a terrorist or anybody who threatened my family at home. In my job too because we have protection from wild boar in forest in form of gun. I would use it against person who attack without regard to law.
Post #630966 13th Jun 2017 8:50am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It sounds utterly hare-brained to me (but I see it is reported in the Daily Mail, so it probably would be)!

How many terrorist offences are likely to be undertaken by "marauding gunmen" in rural areas? Not many I suggest.

Bearing in mind that a police officer who shoots someone - anyone - now expectes to be tied up in the courts for at least 6 years afterwards (source, a Met firearms officer speaking on TV the other day), can you imagine the consequences if a civilian shoots someone.

It might work in countries with an indigenous gun culture like some US states but the legal changes here would be unfeasible IMO.

We already have the ability under UK law to use "reasonable force" if we, or a member of our family, is threatened, so if someone is threatening you with a gun, you can shoot them yourself. That should generally be sufficient. Just don't shoot 'em in the back, like the unfortunate Tony Martin did.
Post #630970 13th Jun 2017 8:57am
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
How to increase innocent deaths in one easy lesson. Arm civilians. Rolling Eyes
Post #630973 13th Jun 2017 9:04am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
critical thing here would be training of civilians.

I'm very much for the idea.
Post #630979 13th Jun 2017 9:32am
Rallymental

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Don't tell him Pike!! Rolling with laughter The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
Solihull, 1948 - "If we paint the chassis, it will last for years"
Solihull, 2015 - "If we paint the chassis.............................
Post #630980 13th Jun 2017 9:36am
blackwolf

Caterham wrote:

I'm very much for the idea.

Yes, I rather thought you might be! Rolling with laughter

Dare I suggest - with no disrespect or offence intended - that this is a perfect illustration of the pitfalls of this proposal !
Post #630987 13th Jun 2017 9:42am
proloForêt

blackwolf wrote:
Just don't shoot 'em in the back, like the unfortunate Tony Martin did.

I do not know tony martin but the conversation is about a terror attack which our countries know well now. In this case you should shoot in back, front or whereever. Just because a jihadi mad person turn their back to you and run even will not stop the detonate a suicide jacket.

With obviousness if a person is running after try just to take a car or something then please not worth to shoot them.
Post #630989 13th Jun 2017 9:44am
Riverboy

We already do train civilians in this field. We call them the Army and the Police Thumbs Up They do an amazing job, its just that there aren't enough of them on the streets thanks to people like Mrs May. Give the true professionals the man power they need to protect us and keep the hairbrained cheap alternatives in the pages of the Daily hate Mail.
Post #630994 13th Jun 2017 9:47am
proloForêt

Riverboy wrote:
How to increase innocent deaths in one easy lesson. Arm civilians. Rolling Eyes

You know that in Canada (actually I confess I only know Quebec well so I confess) and also in Switzerland there are many people with many guns. These are not places that have big numbers of innocent deaths.
Politicians have guns protecting them so why not real peoples?
Post #630995 13th Jun 2017 9:48am
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
this should be left to the professionals if there needs to be a increase in armed public patrols then there needs to be funding in place . the problem in the united kingdom is the offender has more protection than the victim , {tony martin a classic example}
Post #631024 13th Jun 2017 12:17pm
Rallymental

I'd just bring in this guy!
We'll all feel safe in our beds!

Click image to enlarge
 The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
Post #631032 13th Jun 2017 12:35pm
Rallymental

This was the scene today outside Waitrose Exeter

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.
Post #631036 13th Jun 2017 12:38pm
blackwolf

proloForêt wrote:
blackwolf wrote:
Just don't shoot 'em in the back, like the unfortunate Tony Martin did.

I do not know tony martin but the conversation is about a terror attack which our countries know well now. In this case you should shoot in back, front or whereever. Just because a jihadi mad person turn their back to you and run even will not stop the detonate a suicide jacket.

With obviousness if a person is running after try just to take a car or something then please not worth to shoot them.

Tony Martin was a reclusive farmer in the UK who was plagued by break-ins and thefts carried out by the travelling criminal community. His farm was known as an easy target amongst this community, so much so that criminals would travel from other parts of the UK to steal.

One night, two such criminal individuals broke into the farmhouse where Tony Martin was sleeping, and during the moments that followed he shot and killed one of them with a 12-bore. There was much public sympathy for him (exept from the travelling criminal community of course), but in court he was convicted since his shot hit the criminal who died in the back, which the court took this as evidence that the person was fleeing at the time, and therefore not an immediate threat to Tony Martin. Shooting him was therefore judged to be excessive force, and there illegal.

UK law is very clear - you can use an "appropriate" level of force or violence to protect yourself. If someone is threatening you with a gun and you have genuine reason to believe you are about to be shot, then you could shoot your attacker. You will have to be prepared to justify your action in court, though, so you need to be careful.

If someone has stolen your valuables and fled, you are not in danger so cannot run after them, catch them, and beat them until they return you property, since this is "excessive force" - they are not threatening you.

(An interesting legal argument would arise if someone with a gun broke into you house and said he would shoot you unless you let him leave with your valuables. IN this case. you are only at risk if you do not let him leave with your stuff, so shooting him dead would probably be considered excessive since you could simply give him your stuff! I don't most normal people would see it like this, though (I wouldn't), and it would be a very interesting court case.)
Post #631039 13th Jun 2017 12:45pm
Riverboy

The laws are there for a very good reason and should stay as they are. The best argument against bearing arms is the USA. Who in their right mind would want Europe to become like them. Rolling Eyes Just look at Rallymental's picture above.
Post #631047 13th Jun 2017 1:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>