Home > My Defender > The Yeti - 110 Hard Top Camper
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Ianb

United Kingdom 
The Yeti - 110 Hard Top Camper
Warning - Long post...

A lot of long hours searching and planning for a more local visit which fell through, we then found our Defender quite last minute...in Scotland...

Some back and forth messages with previous owner, everything sounded great from pictures and paper, so we set off... a successful viewing and the deal was done and here we have our Defender - The Yeti! A 1998 300tdi hard top originally, but has since been converted to a camper.

Click image to enlarge

After the deal was done, we excitedly, but anxiously began our journey home, knowing we had a near 600 mile journey to do, in a vehicle we had zero history with, but 100% responsibility for was scary.... but after a quick night stop on the Yorkshire dales, we made it home unscathed.

As mentioned prior, we had been looking at a more local one which ticked alot of boxes, but internally was barely touched. Our new Defender fitted the same spec we had been looking for, which was a "300tdi and galvanised chassis", but this was a little more special, it has more things than we can even comprehend...or understand for that matter..

She was previously sold in Jan/Feb 2023 to the very nice guy we bought from, he admitted he'd not done much to it - however he had installed a diesel heater. The previous previous owner however, was the man behind the 1001 mods, unfortunately however he passed away (which I presume was what forced the sale originally), I can only say, so far, we feel we owe it to him (and ourselves of course) to take great care of this fantastic beast.

Internally the centre dash needs massive investigating, switches galore (inc a guarded switch!) and only 2 of them seemingly do something...(that we'd discovered so far - spot lights and led bar).

There is inverters left right and centre which we need to map out and make sure are working. Split charge system, but I'm not sure one of the batteries is taking any charge. Rear quarter panel there is a 110v plug in, no idea if that is connected up, or where its connected too....
The electrical bits are an aspect that is a little worrying for me purely because there is so much going on. I've found cut wires too - I think only speaker wires or lighting, so I need a good moment to have a proper dig about.

The bottoms of the doors are done for, a few rust spots floating around on the body... Sadly, the rebuild on the galvanised chassis did not include the bulkhead - oh how I wish it did..

There used to be a dog guard, but that was removed, which left the ceiling hanging down, so that needs to be addressed, equally there was pretty bad condensation on the cab ceiling, so insulation is needed - I'm also a little unsure if any insulation was done behind the wall panels, so they will probably come off and insulate behind.

At 6'6" like all Defenders, its a snug drive, I've seen the rear bulkhead can be partly removed, but that might have to wait, I'm thinking MUD seat rails might just give me that little bit more height to change the leg angle for more comfort... might also help the boss who wanted to sit on a big cushion so she could get better visibility (booster seat hehehe).

Got home, gave it a good clean up on the outside:

Click image to enlarge

About 3 days later had another overnight in it.. apparently white is hard to keep clean Laughing
These brief trips are giving a good taster of what we might need to change or refigure.

Click image to enlarge

What is our plan? Head North to wilder conditions - whether that be Scotland in the winter, or the Nordic wild... so realistically, there is no time at all to get the above sorted and make sure we have the right gear and necessary additions for our trip.

Really need to gather some advice on insulation and engine heaters - which was something we had never heard of until reading others must have lists for sub zero temperatures. The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Post #1016557 27th Nov 2023 7:29pm
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
Hi Ianb what a great looking Land Rover, glad you found a good one, I believe kenlowe do engine pre heaters, a mate of mine bought a Land Rover a few years ago with one fitted and it worked well, looking forward to following your mods and adventures Thumbs Up cheers Paul
Post #1016597 28th Nov 2023 7:35am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
welcome to landrover camping!!
its a never ending tweaking project with lots of twists and turns
Take a look at as meany camper set ups as possible before taking the best options that suit your way of camping, there is no right or wrong answer - just do what is right for you !

There are some fabulous conversions on here that you can take a peek at and then you can look at vehicles at the various shows - the car park/camping area is often the better place than the trade stands

Good luck with the build and looking forward to seeing Yetti's progress

Bow down Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #1016602 28th Nov 2023 9:48am
L110CDL

England 
Well done Ianb you got a good one there and will look forward to the mods you do on Yeti for your way of overlanding Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1016767 29th Nov 2023 9:53pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Cracking wagon. Enjoy. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1016786 29th Nov 2023 11:10pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Marvellous. I do like a 300tdi 110 van, practical and spacious. Good effort camping at this time of year as well. Not many would or do. This morning it is a balmy -7 degC here in deepest Denbighshire and cleaning cars is something that happens in Spring Rolling with laughter

Another little mod that you may wish to consider is either some Mud Defenders or the Gwyn Lewis mud flaps. Both of these are excellent at reducing the amount of flung mud up the side of the Defenders bodywork.

Heated seats are worth every penny of the cost time and effort to fit and especially if you are intending to take a significant other along with you Thumbs Up

Let us know how you get on motoring around Thumbs Up
Post #1016809 30th Nov 2023 9:50am
Ianb

United Kingdom 
Thank you all Smile

We're looking at the seats thinking about the next move with them, I know you can buy those seat warmers from shops like the range etc that you stick on top of the regular seats which could be a quick option, the other thing is the seats aren't the most comfy things I've sat on. I'm trying to work out if its just the seating position therefore raised seat rails for a quick change and maybe in the future bulk head removal (i've seen Mud do an option with that), or whether the seat squab bit and the thousands of miles of buttocks have taken their toll on the spongyness.... or both...in which case maybe going a bit deeper into the whole thing might be better.

Front mud flaps might not be a bad shout actually, we have Britpart ones on the rear but I hadn't really considered fronts..

As for the significant other - I think we're going to end up fighting for who gets to drive - she loves driving The Yeti... Laughing

-7C, exciting times! It's chilly enough to have a bit of sleet down here in South Devon. As for the winter adventures, we just need to make sure we cross all i's and dot the t's Laughing before considering setting off, don't quite fancy croaking on our first major trip and there is seemingly more and more to make sure is done.

Plans for the distant future will be a pop top roof. ..but for the moment we're on the hunt for a roof top tent suitable for camping in the Nordic regions this winter. Currently, we have suitable personal gear, sleeping bags etc and will look to connect a pipe up there from our diesel heater.

Main concerns will be to make sure that the engine, fuel, water, etc all remains running in cold weather... Will have to look at fuel options as I've heard additives can help, but I know many European countries are now on winter fuel (something else I didn't know existed).. The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
Post #1016857 30th Nov 2023 5:01pm
L110CDL

England 
We had some sleet and snow here on the other side of Dartmoor from you Rolling Eyes

As for the seats, i had the standard ones that came with Millie and they did a good job for a while, well quite a few years in fact, then i had a chance to get some heated XS seats, wow what a difference, i just love them, really comfy for me and my buttocks don't ache at all now Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1016913 30th Nov 2023 10:20pm
db950

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Nice truck, 110 vans are great for camper set ups Thumbs Up
What’s the interior set up like, can you sleep in there?
+1 for the XS heated seats, really glad I upgraded to them.

There’s a good few of us on here with pop tops and a few dedicated threads for them so great for a bit of research! 1997 Ex-MOD 110, Pop Top Camper, build thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72352.html
2014 Discovery 4 SE Tech
Instagram @the110camper
Post #1016915 30th Nov 2023 10:36pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
L110CDL wrote:
my buttocks don't ache at all now Very Happy

Whoa... TMI mate TMI... Yikes... Shocked Shocked Shocked
Post #1016919 30th Nov 2023 10:45pm
L110CDL

England 
It's valuable information regarding the length of time sat in the seat on your journey Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1016926 30th Nov 2023 11:18pm
Ianb

United Kingdom 
Hahaha, thank you for the info! I'm not seeing XS seats for much less than a grand, so the pain in my **** may have to continue a while longer, especially if we decide to go down the webasto engine preheater.

Had a brief hunt in the cab today, found a few bits and followed a few switches...also found a few switches having nothing connected, so what was planned for them (especially a guarded switch) is likely lost to the heavens...any idea what I should wire a guarded switch up to? Ejector swith for the passenger seat? Rolling with laughter

The interior (I'll post some pictures when I get a couple daylight pics) would be perfect for some folks, we've got a few alterarations we want to make. The long side on the L shape flips over to fill the gap to make a double bed, will likely alter this so that it slides across and the flip bit requires everything to be moved out the way so the bed can be made ...meaning me standing outside in the cold whilst the bed gets made Laughing It's really nicely DIY'd but the need to put our own stamp on it is quite high... The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
Post #1017072 1st Dec 2023 9:01pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ok, lets talk XS seats. They are just normal Defender seats with half faux-leather and heater elements, that is all. The frames and foams are identical. So, hidden your search...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/...b62c27a180

or

Bargains really. Budget for a set of Waeco heater elements and warm bums you shall have. It is easily DIY job.
Post #1017082 1st Dec 2023 10:28pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Just found these down the road from me as well, not Puma but TD5 County spec seats with heaters

Might need a foam though.
Post #1017083 1st Dec 2023 10:31pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
These are close to you

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/...72b090e443

Perfect for a refurb and I bet the seller would reduce the price to shift them.
Post #1017084 1st Dec 2023 10:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>