↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Land Rover brand to be dropped (merged threads)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
LR Nuts wrote:
J77 wrote:
.....except for the one in the top right hand corner ...... Rolling with laughter

Yeah but that’s not the preview event from Halewood Wink

^^ Score one all. Next round!
Post #990297 25th Apr 2023 3:35pm
J77

Scotland 
Razz

Glitzy motor show displays I think we’ll still see the LR oval where they are displaying all the “brands” but perhaps will be less prominent if it’s model or “brand” specific launch. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #990298 25th Apr 2023 3:45pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
bought myself (I mean my wife) a Discovery 4 the other day. Proper Land Rover that is, including few predictable technical niggles which are quickly resolved. Proper boxy, proper seating position, nice drive.. puts a smile on your face. Much older but much nicer than the Beemer my son is (I mean I am) driving.

I can imagine the new Defender would be very much a continuation of that theme practical but nice. Disco 5 is plain ugly, If I wanted a car that looks like a Ford (explorer) I would buy a Ford Explorer.

Maybe they dropped the Land Rover name because it sound too outdated for the (electric) future.
Post #990299 25th Apr 2023 3:56pm
spudfan

Ireland 
There are people here who have bought the "new" Defender and love it. There are others here who have the older Defender and are happy with it. I am one of these who have an older Defender.
Land Rover/JLR/Tata or whoever have gone down a route where all of the current vehicles have independent suspension and do not have a separate chassis. They probably saw the old Defender as an anomaly and did not want to pursue it. Besides if all of your expertise is in independent suspension you probably do not have anyone that understands a live axle set up.
They got rid of the Defender anomaly yet kept the name and milked it. It seems there are people buying the "new" Defender that would not contemplate owning the old Defender yet they want all it stood for.
I think it was short sighted to ditch the old Defender. Fair enough it is probably a niche market. Niche markets can be very profitable. The Range Rover was a niche market vehicle when introduced and it turned out to be very profitable and successful. The old Defender could have been handled like this. Look at what Ineos have done and they started from scratch.
They could have given the old Defender a hiatus for a year or two then come back with the more expensive up graded version that Ineos have come up with.
So if I was in the market for a new car, I would go the Ineos route rather than the "new" Defender route.
Then again I still do not have a mobile phone, I am using the wife's laptop, use a map and compass when out on the hills so I suppose I am not in the target audience for the current crop of JLR products.
Each to their own but at least we can have a civilised discussion about it! 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #990308 25th Apr 2023 4:49pm
J77

Scotland 
JLR CEO Adrian Mardell today said "I really want to reiterate and put this on record that the Land Rover mark will remain," adding "it will remain visible on our vehicles". 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #992459 13th May 2023 10:34am
J77

Scotland 
Oh dear, new JLR logo looks a bit too Rolls Royce to me

Click image to enlarge
 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #994821 2nd Jun 2023 10:27am
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Rolls Royce? More like wish.com Rolling with laughter
Post #994824 2nd Jun 2023 10:41am
cozz

J77 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

What a bargain at 15 billion
Post #994898 2nd Jun 2023 8:19pm
J77

Scotland 
Received an email today, and it came from Defender UK rather than Land Rover UK

Click image to enlarge
 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #996985 20th Jun 2023 9:31pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
J77 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Well that ticks all of the

Woke
Inclusive
Exclusive
Diverse
Confused
Never confused
Kids identifying as cats
Retards that identify as politicians
Black and White
The bloke sitting at his desk with a boob job (can anyone else see that Whistle )

Just out of interest, what does a dyslexic person see when the look at it.

Anyway, may as well say it as it is.....what a load of marketing lead (and no doubt cost a small fortune in oat milk lattes) Censored ....
Post #996991 20th Jun 2023 10:28pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
I think that companies charge with the times. As far as I'm concerned, the only real Land Rover is a big square thing, covered in dents and held together with pop rivets.

I also believe that the only Range Rovers of note were what we now call the Classic.

However I also owned a Hinkley Triumph Bonneville, not the actual Triumph Bonneville of the 60's. Having owned a few of the original bikes I prefer the newer ones, so have no real interest in the original bikes any more.

What's strange is that if I said in conversation that I owned a Triumph Bonneville, I'd then have to explain that it was a Hinkley built machine, the newer lookalike one, not the real one built in the 50's and 60's. The look of disappointment on the other person's face said it all.

So I'm proud to own an original Land Rover 110, I'm also proud to have owned a Hinkley Triumph and some original Triumph's, but prefer the old Land Rover and the new Triumph.

Triumph still identifies as Triumph though, but Land Rover's are now seen as cool, as are Range Rover Classics.
Post #997009 21st Jun 2023 8:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345