↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Land Rover brand to be dropped (merged threads)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Nick-St

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
spudfan wrote:
Mercedes still produce the G Wagen. Hardly a high volume seller yet they have a place for it in their line up.

At a starting price of £131,000 though!!
Post #989701 20th Apr 2023 6:59pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I remember when it was a rough, noisey but very capable vehicle! There's one running about here and it is basic to say the least. They were never cheap but Mercedes seems to have made them very desirable accessories. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #989702 20th Apr 2023 7:03pm
LR Nuts

TAta to Land Rover.

Remembering the Freelander 2 was DESIGNED and BUILT by FORD

FL2 ..... The Best Ford x Ford by Far.
Post #989716 20th Apr 2023 8:34pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Nick-St wrote:
spudfan wrote:

Thumbs Up Yes the "old" Defender was an advertising man's dream. The image was there and it projected something in the public mind that would cost millions to replicate. Not only was the baby thrown out with the bath water but the house was burnt down aswell.
"Wisdom has built her house, she has hewn out her seven pillars", then they go and "hew" the pillars down and the house collapses.

If they're selling more new Defenders than they ever did old ones, then maybe the house needed pulling down...

When we bought the old Defender, everyone loved it, but no-one else we know would have bought one. Now we have a new Defender, everyone still loves it, but this time they are saying they'd love to own one as well.

Different times, different car, different market...

The OG Defender was only built 4 days a week on a single shift. JLR did absolutely nothing to advertise it. I remember when I bought mine, many people I spoke to thought they had gone out of production years before. The new one has a massive marketing budget and is churned out of the factory around the clock, seven days a week. Weirdly there are absolutely loads of brand new ones sat unsold, just check eBay or autotrader. Funny how the old one wasn't like that. Aside from a few dealer demos they were all sold before build so far as I understand. In any case in 15 years time the 2020 Defender will just be a memory, much like the Disco 1 & 2 and the Freelander or Range Rover P38. But I bet we will still see plenty of OG Defenders around. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #989721 20th Apr 2023 9:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Already being talked about here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic87527.html Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #989740 21st Apr 2023 8:05am
Tim in Scotland

Why does the L663 Defender outsell the old one - simple - it can now be sold in the USA where the old one couldn’t be sold for many many years. Self breaking windscreens apart (seems to be part of the NA spec) L663 has been one of the best received Land Rover products in donkey’s years in the USA Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #989747 21st Apr 2023 8:28am
LR Nuts

So the LR name is being removed ......... that makes me Nuts Rolling Eyes
Post #989761 21st Apr 2023 9:30am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
LR Nuts wrote:
TAta to Land Rover.

Remembering the Freelander 2 was DESIGNED and BUILT by FORD

FL2 ..... The Best Ford x Ford by Far.
And the most reliable Land Rover product built to date!
Post #989762 21st Apr 2023 9:32am
Moo

Ukraine 
Let's bring back the model T ford, valve radios and coal hearths. They can all still do the job today and some will enjoy tinkering with them, but the world is a different place. LR has moved to a multi model product range aimed at a broader customer base who no longer identify with the old LR history.

Whilst the old series, County and Defender models have a large and passionate following, few of LR's customers come from that group.

LR has produced a range of cars that have capabilities that few will ever use. Even with the old Defender etc., most will never use its abilities and there are other vehicles that do the day to day job better - just look at how farmers, forestry, construction and the emergency services etc. have adapted to them.

The market and consumer for LR has changed and JLR has finally decided to catch up to the reality of what a future market will look like. As Iconic as the past LR's are, they are decidedly in the past. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #989763 21st Apr 2023 9:32am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Next week sees one of a handful of 5* three day events held throughout the world, it's in Kentucky and is entitled the Land Rover Kentucky 3 Day Event or LRK3DE. Land Rover have sponsored this for many years along with another prestigious 5* horse event, The Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials. It is noticeable that in the last week they have changed the name to The Defender Burghley Horse Trials. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #989770 21st Apr 2023 9:46am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Moo wrote:
Let's bring back the model T ford, valve radios and coal hearths. They can all still do the job today and some will enjoy tinkering with them, but the world is a different place. LR has moved to a multi model product range aimed at a broader customer base who no longer identify with the old LR history.

Whilst the old series, County and Defender models have a large and passionate following, few of LR's customers come from that group.

LR has produced a range of cars that have capabilities that few will ever use. Even with the old Defender etc., most will never use its abilities and there are other vehicles that do the day to day job better - just look at how farmers, forestry, construction and the emergency services etc. have adapted to them.

The market and consumer for LR has changed and JLR has finally decided to catch up to the reality of what a future market will look like. As Iconic as the past LR's are, they are decidedly in the past.

I don't think that anybody would argue with that reality but the disappointment comes from the feeling that LR have made it a self-fulfilling prophecy by not investing in a more utilitarian model. The need and demand for such vehicles clearly still exists, and offers all sorts of potential in electric form, but they chose to abandon that market. For those of us that have grown up with what the vehicles and brand used to represent, the change in direction in recent years stings.

We are where we are though, as the saying goes Rolling Eyes Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #989776 21st Apr 2023 9:59am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Well this explains why Land Rover were only to keen to spend money on advertising the left butt cheek of the Oz rugby team last autumn... Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Thought it was a strange place for the brand logo but perhaps it was the closest available place to signify the inevitable slide down the shi77er... Rolling Eyes
Post #989779 21st Apr 2023 10:10am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I'm sure I can't add much more to what everyone is feeling, but I do think this plays very well into the Ineos Grenadiers marketing strategy.

They're bound to capitalize on this, and good for them, they actually seem to want to build something the Land Rover used to stand for. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #989803 21st Apr 2023 12:39pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Nick-St wrote:
spudfan wrote:
Mercedes still produce the G Wagen. Hardly a high volume seller yet they have a place for it in their line up.

At a starting price of £131,000 though!!

Compared to other brands offerings its worth EVERY penny of that- the W463A G400d is an absolute masterpiece- in fact I would say that 131K looks a bargain compared to 146k for a well specced Range Rover......

When the new G was on the drawing board Mercedes had to make a decision whether to push it more as a 'Halo' brand or kill it off- they went for the first option fortunately.

Last time I was working at Mercedes-Benz world I was told they are struggling to keep up with demand- I think the waiting list is around 18 months currently for a G.........

EQG looks promising too

Its interesting that Mercedes have identified that the different models still need to be identified as Mercedes Benz cars, where JLR are minimising the Landrover branding and pushing the sub brands.

Chris
Post #989832 21st Apr 2023 3:38pm
Bowbearer

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 110 200 Tdi SW Auto Baltic Blue
It’s like when that new CEO took over Royal Mail he wanted to change the name to conectica or something!

Why when you have such a strong brand name?

I think they do it because it is an easy way to show they are changing things.

The Land Rover name is famous all over the world, they harp on about the heritage at every new vehicle launch. That is priceless.

I bet it will be changed back in a few years when they realise no one has taken any notice an still call them Land Rovers. Apart from the Range Rover which as said has never been a Land Rover.
Post #989880 22nd Apr 2023 6:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>