↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Land Rover brand to be dropped (merged threads)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Only a Frenchman would have come up with the idea to drop the Landrover name!
No wonder Thiery Bollore ran and left the country before this news came out. Censored Censored Censored
He's going to be more unpopular than Macron.

Brands that disrespect their traditions and customers deserve everything they get.
Unlike Bud Light and Nike customers, I won't be burning/shooting/crushing my Defender just yet...

Seriously though, they're f***ed. Sad
Post #989609 20th Apr 2023 10:11am
Nick-St

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
New Defender sales have stomped all over the classic Defender sales numbers... So they've obviously done something right - just not for some of the old customers. We had a new Defender in 2013 and now again in 2023 - they share the same name, but there's no way they are designed for the same market!
Post #989610 20th Apr 2023 10:17am
Moo

Ukraine 
But who is he going to be unpopular with? The die hard LR crew, most of whom don't buy new LRs or the current / future customers, few of whom have had older LRs but want a car to meet their needs, lifestyle or aspirations?

The market has changed, the customers they are after have changed. The world moves on. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #989612 20th Apr 2023 10:21am
spudfan

Ireland 
Grenadier wrote:
Moo wrote:
The days of go anywhere farmer / military vehicles have long gone.

The ‘sold out’/12mth waiting list Ineos Grenadier would say otherwise.

Besides, I’ve never thought of the Defender as a supreme off road vehicle, it hasn’t been the best for years, and would be beaten hands down by the Disco and even Range Rover (with their Terrain Response systems) if they were properly shod in off road tyres.

The beauty of the Defender was its adaptability and was something beloved by many owners, (be they private or commercial), right up to when production stopped in 2016. They never had trouble selling them, and wouldn’t have had they made a Grenadier quality replacement. ‘Quality’ from LR Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

This ability to change or modify a vehicle, whether an electric company using it for a cherry picker or a private owner using it to make their dream overlander, was lost with the new SUV Defender. Bizarre decision. Replacing a car that was almost unique, was popular, was selling well and only needed improving, to be replaced by ‘yet another’ SUV to be added to the JLR model range that already had eight SUVs in its stable.

So a few new sales, (have they exceeded the sales lost by those who wanted the classic Defender?), and then the remainder of sales poached from the Disco and RRS. Unbelievable business decision and evidence of the systemic rot within LR, led by Gerry and his obsessive desire to make everything worthy of use only by people with Buffon hair, wearing a claret velour jacket and cravat.

Thumbs Up Yes the "old" Defender was an advertising man's dream. The image was there and it projected something in the public mind that would cost millions to replicate. Not only was the baby thrown out with the bath water but the house was burnt down aswell.
"Wisdom has built her house, she has hewn out her seven pillars", then they go and "hew" the pillars down and the house collapses. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #989614 20th Apr 2023 10:35am
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
I just don't care any more. I'm a dinosaur not even vaguely in the gene pool of people who buy one of these cars. I buy parts, some genuine, so I do hope they keep the green oval on these items simply for nostalgic and visual reasons.

There's something very nice about an ERR3340 sticking out from under a Rover V8. If they rebrand these I'm buying Mahle, see - that'll really show 'em!

JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #989619 20th Apr 2023 10:45am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I see that Jaguar have just announced a new electric car……..with a start price of £100k.

Why don’t they just hang up a sign that says ‘Fxxk You, we don’t want you, only the 000.1%ers’.

This will also be the final nail in the coffin of most of the JLR dealerships that have spent a fortune upgrading their dealerships and even having to relocate to ensure that they are up to standard.

Let’s face it, who needs a salesman when the secretary will order the bosses car off a website and then have it delivered.

And let’s face it, with JLR’s reputation who is going to spend that amount of money only to see it conked out on the driveway awaiting for the final working service department to pick it up……. Whistle
Post #989623 20th Apr 2023 11:38am
Nick-St

spudfan wrote:

Thumbs Up Yes the "old" Defender was an advertising man's dream. The image was there and it projected something in the public mind that would cost millions to replicate. Not only was the baby thrown out with the bath water but the house was burnt down aswell.
"Wisdom has built her house, she has hewn out her seven pillars", then they go and "hew" the pillars down and the house collapses.

If they're selling more new Defenders than they ever did old ones, then maybe the house needed pulling down...

When we bought the old Defender, everyone loved it, but no-one else we know would have bought one. Now we have a new Defender, everyone still loves it, but this time they are saying they'd love to own one as well.

Different times, different car, different market...
Post #989624 20th Apr 2023 11:39am
spudfan

Ireland 
Good points but I think they could have pursued both directions. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #989631 20th Apr 2023 11:54am
Nick-St

It'll be interesting to see if Ineos can make the Grenadier a success - albeit, it's a bit of a different proposition to have a low volume vehicle made for you by a third party factory compared to having your own factory.
Post #989632 20th Apr 2023 11:58am
Moo

Ukraine 
markb110 wrote:
I see that Jaguar have just announced a new electric car……..with a start price of £100k.

Why don’t they just hang up a sign that says ‘Fxxk You, we don’t want you, only the 000.1%ers’.

This will also be the final nail in the coffin of most of the JLR dealerships that have spent a fortune upgrading their dealerships and even having to relocate to ensure that they are up to standard.

Let’s face it, who needs a salesman when the secretary will order the bosses car off a website and then have it delivered.

And let’s face it, with JLR’s reputation who is going to spend that amount of money only to see it conked out on the driveway awaiting for the final working service department to pick it up……. Whistle

It’s a competitive market with many options for buyers with different budgets. Look at the growth of MG. Customers will vote with their pockets. JLR is pitching for different customers with low volume high price / margin cars. Why not? Just because the traditional LR fans, no longer the target market, don’t like it doesn’t make it wrong. Again there are options - pick-ups, Toyotas, Ines, Lada etc. Nostalgia is a niche market. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #989639 20th Apr 2023 12:44pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Happy 75th Anniversary Land Rover
Post #989665 20th Apr 2023 3:32pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Mercedes still produce the G Wagen. Hardly a high volume seller yet they have a place for it in their line up. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #989676 20th Apr 2023 5:14pm
Moo

Ukraine 
And look how they have changed the market positioning of the G-Wagon. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #989680 20th Apr 2023 5:24pm
stingray

Wales 
Land Rover name to be 'killed off'
What do the team think of this?

I can hardly believe it!

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/la...b3f394a744
Post #989691 20th Apr 2023 6:46pm
LR Nuts

I'm having a bad time ...... Land Rover to be killed off, and SNP to follow .... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

House of Brands, more like House of Cards.
Post #989699 20th Apr 2023 7:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>