↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Anyone fitted a split charge dual battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Moo

Ukraine 
JackW wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Got the tray bolted in after a slight struggle. The Redarc charge controller is on the outboard right side. I'll need to figure out where to put the isolator relay and fuses and wire everything up this week.

That really is a labour of love. I'd be keen to see how you run the wiring and where you position the Redarc unit etc. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1018224 13th Dec 2023 10:41am
hopalong

Australia 
it is a siphon system no pump to fail ,a simple length of garden hose with valve and a separate breather ,
To get water pull hose from behind seat back and lower nozzle below tank level and open valve, to fill tank connect this pipe to a water supply , simples and effective.
Post #1018634 18th Dec 2023 6:04am
JackW

United States 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Coniston Green
So we finally had a break in the cold wet weather so I could get out in the driveway and do some more work on the dual battery/redarc installation. I had to figure out exactly where to place the isolator, BCDC 1225, four different fuse holders and how to run the wires to connect everything.

Here is what I have so far - need to get some 1/0 and 8AWG battery cable to connect everything together. I have a good idea how I want everything connected but that is all subject to change.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1024950 16th Feb 2024 9:20pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Very neat. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1024961 16th Feb 2024 11:51pm
JackW

Got all of the hardware mounted today where its all going to fit. I ordered some cable and terminals from NAPA which will be here tomorrow so I can start wiring everything up on Tuesday. Fishing the positive cable up to the terminal under the right hand passenger seat looks like its going to be lots of fun. With just a few hours of work this little project should be complete - pictures to follow.

I decided to rotate the Redarc BCDC 1225 90 degrees so I could see the LED indicators better and to make it easier to run the cables between the various components.
Post #1025132 19th Feb 2024 2:43am
Moo

Ukraine 
This is where I'm at:

Dual function deep cycle / starter battery in the engine bay sitting on a bracket from Saltek connected to a Lensun solar panel on the bonnet through a MPPT controller. This should keep both batteries charged. I've bought the parts, just need to fit them. I would then just make the rear 12v socket permanently live and think about adding in some additional sockets.

https://newdefendermods.com/products/new-d...amp;_v=1.0

https://www.lensunsolar.com/index.php?rout...8IQAvD_BwE

https://www.gobatteries.co.uk/products/bat...batteries/

In addition to this I'm debating whether to add in a Lithium battery in the boot (trunk) floor as well or just take a power bank that I can charge when driving and also via solar.

I like your setup though, very neat and professional. Look forward to seeing it fully installed. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1025148 19th Feb 2024 11:06am
JackW

Got all of the wiring hooked up today EXCEPT for the positive connection cable from the main battery under the passenger seat back to the 100 amp fuse the leading outside edge of the battery box. This looks like its going to be LOTS of fun routing the cable under the rear seat and through a narrow cavity to the original battery. I'm going to have to remove the entire rear seat base (lots of fasteners of odd sizes) to get access to where some one else - thankfully - has done something similar. This has been an "interesting" challenge so far and I think its about to get even more engaging. Since I plan on using the 110 this weekend to lead a Land Rover ride in Tennessee I'm going to wait until next week to explore what I am sure is going to be the most challenging part of the installation. Overall I'm pretty pleased with how its turning out.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1025670 23rd Feb 2024 2:39am
Mark1107

United States 
I was all in 2k including installation. Li po lithium battery that can back up the whole vehicle. Runs separate but can bridge with factory battery. Changed ccf settings that the vehicle doesn't wake up when trunk and passenger doors are opened saves battery life when camping.

Solar panel on roof backs up 2nd battery while in the bush. Runs our big boy dometic fridge freezer.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I was all in 2k including installation. Li po lithium battery that can back up the whole vehicle. Runs separate but can bridge with factory battery. Changed ccf settings that the vehicle doesn't wake up when trunk and passenger doors are opened saves battery life when camping.

Solar panel on roof backs up 2nd battery while in the bush. Runs our big boy dometic fridge freezer.

Click image to enlarge
 2022 Defender Trek Competition 110 collectors edition!
2020 Defender 110 P400 Full Explorer Pack 7 Seater HSE Fuji White(sold)
2020 SVO Range Rover L405 Full Size Spectral Blue Chromaflair
2014 Range Rover L405 Autobiography Full Size Aintree Green
2014 Dodge Viper GTS Stryker Green
Post #1030125 1st Apr 2024 9:19pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Cool. Didn't realise you can isolate the rear doors. That's a big help re power usage. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1030137 1st Apr 2024 10:39pm
Lockley

United Kingdom 
Mark1107 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hi. Are you able to recall and share the CCF setting to disable the Pivi wake-up that you mention above?

Thanks. L663 D300 SE MY22.
Post #1030191 2nd Apr 2024 1:00pm
OVRLANDR

United States 
I would be interested in these CCF changes as well.
Post #1030423 3rd Apr 2024 8:55pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Ditto. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1030436 3rd Apr 2024 11:51pm
Bob Heijnen

Netherlands 
Same here, the CCF setting would be very helpful.
Post #1030955 8th Apr 2024 1:53pm
ODPA

United States 
Lockley wrote:
Mark1107 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hi. Are you able to recall and share the CCF setting to disable the Pivi wake-up that you mention above?

Thanks.

I will add myself to the list of those interested in the CCF changes. Would love to hear what you did. Also did you use the GAP tool or other platform to adjust the CCF’s. Going to have to look through my vehicles CCF files I printed to see if I can see what might make this work.

Not sure me asking as well will get an answer but one can hope.
Post #1031810 17th Apr 2024 2:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234