Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Bods 07 110 XS SW
Just collected this evening.

Click image to enlarge

Fairly local and picked it up for a shade over what I sold the td5 for. Seems well looked after. Chassis and bulkhead great, new clutch and dmf and ashcroft output shaft. Good history. Drives great, feels a bit unreal compared with the 200tdi.
170k on the clock but as it has been well maintained I am not particularly fussed about that.
Post #956475 24th Jun 2022 7:41pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Assuming it really is a Puma, I hope it doesn't have a new DMF!

It looks a tidy vehicle although there is far too much chequerplate for my taste. I hope it will bring you much pleasure!

It's just about run in at 170k, the mileage should be no cause for concern.
Post #956482 24th Jun 2022 8:01pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Looks good, enjoy her. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #956485 24th Jun 2022 8:35pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Indeed, no DMF. Fingers got carried away Smile

I would have put chequer plate on the bonnet and wings anyway as it will get walked on a lot. The stuff on the sills will come off once the rock/tree sliders go on. The only bit I don't like is the big chunk on the rear quarter - bit of a shame that is there. But on balance I can live with it.

Looking forward to using it. I am going to try and avoid making any changes until I have driven it a fair bit, chances are I can use it as it is Thumbs Up

Just need to explain a third 110 on the drive to the boss lady now Wink
Post #956494 24th Jun 2022 9:03pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Gave it a bit of a wash and polish and took it on the plain for a few pics. Scrubs up pretty well.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And the chassis has been well looked after.

Click image to enlarge

I have been sat on the fence as to whether to keep it or not but I recon I am going to show a bit more commitment and get on and use it properly. I have a weekend trip to North Wales booked early Oct and I will take this and drag my Brother along in the 200tdi. Should be an interesting comparison.

First job is to change the wheels and tyres. I have some really good coopers on the 110 I rescued from the village so plan to put them on.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

There is a list of things I would like to do, none of which will appeal to purists but they are there to be used and adapted eh?
Very tempted with a full roll cage. Just struggling with making peace with the cost.
Snorkel. The induction on this seems worse than any of my previous defenders and I think deep water would be a no-no right now. No cheap solution out there. I think my leaning is to either the Nak wing top mounted one or a southdown one. Not sure I can stretch to a nugget stuff airbox mind.
Replace the carpets with mats, possibly Wright Offroad ones.

But more important than the bolt-on bits is the engine. It is not without issues. It starts, runs and drives great but....

It has a squeal / chirp under load and I am suspecting the fan pulley (as it is the only one that has any play in it)
Leak around the vac pump
It has lost power on two occasions - suspect the VCV.
It spews black smoke under hard accelleration.

Just about to order a new fan pulley assy, serpentine belt and vac pump. VCV is already on the way.
I have an IID tool now so cleared all the old (very old) codes and will see what comes up and how we address those.
Just off to get these wheels balanced as well, a bit shaky right now.
Post #964999 14th Sep 2022 12:09pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
The squeal turned out to be a UJ on the front prop. I didn't manage to diagnose it in time to get new UJs ahead of my trip to Wales this weekend but luckily I found a pair of good props on eBay for £60 which were collected, greased and fitted on Thursday afternoon. I'll refurb the other one and keep it as a spare.

It was still a little smoky and I had a very occasional turbo error thown up. Unplugged the EGR and all is well once more. I do have an EML on but would rather have that than the alternative. I will be blanking it off and having it mapped accordingly soon. Might be tempted to have more work done but will chat with BAS first.

I managed to make a few quid on a little 90 I recently bought so I have decided to invest that into the puma. Have some internal storage cages and shelves on order and a full roll cage on the way. Having read through some recommendations here I think I will also get a fuel cooler and diff protectors from WildBear.

Car as great on a weekend trip to Wales. 600 mile round trip with 2 full days of lanes on Sat and Sun. Weather was great and so was the scenery. This was the group at Black Rock Sands at the start of day 2:

Click image to enlarge
Post #966750 5th Oct 2022 12:18pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
No time like the present. 165bhp power tune ordered from BAS Very Happy
Post #966776 5th Oct 2022 2:42pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
I opted to have the map added to my IID tool, seemed to be the most cost effective and speedy option. The essential egr blank was 180 and the power tune with egr and speed limiter removal was 420, seemed like an obvious choice.

The process was very quick. Pete at BAS had the map loaded the same day I ordered. The most Tim consuming thing was trying to get the IID connected on the mac to do the update. Once that was done it was less than 5 mins in the car and job done.

Not many miles done yet but all seems well. No egr errors, no smoke and it's of pull. Very happy. Great service from BAS Thumbs Up

I have a full service kit on the way also, may as well make sure everything is in order.

Cage should be here within the week so I will have plenty to do. Next to order the Safari Equip wheel carrier and 2" receiver.
Post #967284 10th Oct 2022 7:35pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Lots of goodies have arrived, just need to find some time now.

Full external cage

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

2" receiver

Click image to enlarge

Some engine bits. Egr blank plates, injector seals, manifold seals.

Click image to enlarge

SE galv and powercoated wheel carrier.

Click image to enlarge

Naka snorkel

Click image to enlarge
Post #968656 22nd Oct 2022 5:17pm
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Lovely delivery of goodies there!

Where did you buy the EGR blank from? 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #968657 22nd Oct 2022 5:18pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111967518768?mk...media=COPY

I wanted one that would allow me to blank either side of the egr cooler. Not sure if I will actually do that but at least I have the option.
Post #968659 22nd Oct 2022 6:26pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Those are the same as the ones I have. For years I saw no point in blanking a disabled EGR, but when I saw these I thought they would be excellent protection against a coolant leak in the EGR cooler. By blanking both ends, both manifolds are protected from filling with coolant. At the most extreme, it might prevent hydraulic lock and a destroyed engine.
Post #968673 22nd Oct 2022 8:28pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
I never thought of the risk of a coolant leak. I was thinking more of stopping grot and soot but that sounds like another good reason to do it. It is driving much better with the egr disabled so need to make an effort not to leave it as it is.
One job I do want to do is take the manifold off and give it a good clean, I suspect it will be a bit gross Smile

The injector seals were a bit of preventative maintenance but I am leaning towards the 'if it ain't broke ' approach. May just keep them on the shelf for later.

Although I am looking forward to fitting the cage I am also not looking forward to it if that makes sense. A fairly big job and there is no coming back once started. Looking at pics of rolled defenders does give me a little bit now extra motivation, although the vast majority of defender neither have nor need one.
Post #968677 22nd Oct 2022 9:05pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I dreaded fitting external cage, reality was it was easy, just take your time. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #968679 22nd Oct 2022 9:40pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Any tips, other than RTFM? Smile

I was tempted to have the underneath bits blasted and galvanised bit not sure if this was OTT.

Also considering stainless bolts although I am not if there are any strength considerations.
Post #968685 22nd Oct 2022 10:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>