↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Driven: New Defender - On & Off Road. Is it a Pretender?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Naks wrote:
Supacat wrote:
Two things on that:

I thought if the vehicle sensed it was getting hung up then it would go into an extended ride height mode & on the roll backs, again I thought the system was equipped with a "hill hold" function?

AFAIK, it does have the ability to go into Extended mode, but the whole vehicle was not beached - it was only scraping slightly (on the topsoil/gravel) on the driver's side. Apparently you can manually force Extended mode, but we didn't know it at the time.

As for the Hill hold, I'm not sure this model has it if it was an option? I know on my RRS there is no such feature, so I drive with left-foot braking almost all the time, not to mention having to modulate the enormous power of the 5L SCV8.

I tried to teach the driver how to do it, but it's not an easy trick to learn if you're over 60 and been driving Defenders your whole life Whistle

Can left foot brake in anything. Used to do it in my Series III 88.

As for the extended mode. I suspect it has as many cons as pros. Yes better clearance. But bouncier ride and less articulation.
Post #852024 25th Aug 2020 10:26pm
umbertob

United States 
Naks wrote:
^ yeah, so not just me then.

Maybe they made the traction control a bit less 'harsh' on this model?

Not sure why though, and we didn't get a chance to use the customised TR settings to try and get the TC to be more aggressive.

the slight ground clearance issue can probably be solved by fitting 20" ATs?

Cool video, thanks for sharing.

I assume the new Defender wasn't fitted with a locking rear differential? Rear lockers, even the electronically controlled ones of modern Land Rovers, would probably make a positive difference in a couple of those instances where TC appears to take some time and quite a bit of rear tire spinning aimlessly up in the air before figuring it out... But yeah, the trick with this TC system is to keep a slow and steady input and let the car figure it out, which it usually does. I look forward to testing the configurable TR system, to see how much difference it makes in the real world. For that trail, I would have probably locked both center and rear diff, and allowed more wheel spin to minimize the nanny effect of TR/TC.

20" ATs would not have fared much better (as long as we are talking stock sized ATs), since the overall diameter is the same as the stock 18s or 19s, so no ground clearance gained... As a matter of fact they may have done worse, as people usually don't air down lower profile tires (such as the stock 20s) very much, too risky.
Post #852033 25th Aug 2020 11:42pm
zilch

Australia 
J77 wrote:
Yeah those are the Goodyear ATs, it had the off road pack.

If the South African new Defenders are similar to the Australian and New Zealand market
deliveries, Goodyear AT Adventures are the standard tyres supplied from the factory,
All season are an option in the ANZ market, could be the same in SA

Cheers yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #852035 25th Aug 2020 11:56pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Has the factory started building the base models yet?

No idea, but I’ve been told to expect a build date of October.
Post #852052 26th Aug 2020 7:03am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
zilch wrote:
If the South African new Defenders are similar to the Australian and New Zealand market
deliveries, Goodyear AT Adventures are the standard tyres supplied from the factory,
All season are an option in the ANZ market, could be the same in SA
Cheers

Yes, it comes standard in ZA with the Goodyear AT or you can option the Duratracs. My mate just prefers BFGs.

Also, what was interesting to note is that the ZA spec doesn't have AdBlue, which is great for us when touring in Africa Thumbs Up --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #852053 26th Aug 2020 7:10am
zilch

Australia 
likely to go Duratracs, although there is a lower speed rating than the AT's the regulations
in Australia seem to suggest on 4x4's you can put a lower specified off road tyre on as long
as it is not rated to less than 140KPH Smile My prospective insurance company said they were
fine as long as i am was not speeding or exceeding the tyres speed rating (which is 160KPH) yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #852058 26th Aug 2020 7:43am
zilch

Australia 
Naks wrote:
chaps, we finally took a New Defender out this past weekend.

Naks that was an awesome video, great to see all the different landies together .. thanks for posting
Thumbs Up

edited: to add, it seems with the e-diff, there is less wheel slip from what i observed in many of the
other videos that are out there.. The vehicle seemed far more composed in a number of cases rather
than purely scrabbling.. Thumbs Up yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #852062 26th Aug 2020 8:10am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
not sure if this has been posted here, but the brake failure at the 50min mark is scary!!!

--
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #852533 28th Aug 2020 8:06am
RDR

United Kingdom 
I lost it with the d5 on a very steep iced up road we were waiting for the stuck cars in front. foot firm on the brake, we could hear creaking then it just started going backwards serious brown trouser time my brother said he could see immediately the wheels rotating and stopping repeatedly trying to get some grab. Wonder if this was similar or indeed a fault. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #852597 28th Aug 2020 12:25pm
Tim in Scotland

I saw exactly the same thing with a Disco3 on Sunday, wheels spinning in forwards motion but the car sliding backwards and sideways uncontrolled. The general conclusion was that the mud the driver had just driven through in his AT shod car had completely clogged the treads and the wet mud then wet grass he was trying to drive on was like driving on ice, no grip and the mud in threads not getting cleared out. Fortunately no damage or injuries in either case but in both cases rather scared drivers. Those of us with MT shod wheels didn’t have as much clogging of the treads and were able to get clear enough with some difficulty that we could rig up enough cars with winches and to act as ground anchors to recovery a D2, G4 Defender 110, another 110 and the D3 from the location that they were not ever going to get out of without help that wet afternoon. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #852625 28th Aug 2020 2:01pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If the vehicle is sliding down a hill it is possible (or even likely) that the wheel which is spinning forwards is actually being driven forwards by the wheel at the opposite end of the axle rotating backwards by virtue of having some grip.

I have had a similar effect in my 80" in snow on an steep descent, when I realised that I was travelling faster than the engine speed should have allowed. It wasn't a panic moment (single track lane between snowbanks, so plenty of opportunity to stop by heading for a snowbank) so I stuck my head out of the window to see what was happening. The front wheen was rotating at road speed, the back wheel was rotating backwards. On the other side I presume that the front was rotating backwards and the rear forwards. An inevitable situation under certain conditions of loss of grip.

I have no idea how a modern TC system copes with this situation, since it must be quite difficult to reconcile the conflicting inputs. I would like to think that the hoof on the brake pedal would be a strong clue, but if the system concludes that the wheels are locking up on a vehicle that is supposed to be moving it could be problematic.

Just one reason why I am happier without ABS and without TC. At least the vehicle does exactly what I tell it to.
Post #852631 28th Aug 2020 2:21pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Retroanaconda wrote:
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Has the factory started building the base models yet?

No idea, but I’ve been told to expect a build date of October.

Wasn't the sub £50k one at a main dealers in uk a base spec?
Post #852632 28th Aug 2020 2:21pm
J77

Scotland 
My dealer has a base spec sitting in their compound, in fact I think it’s their 3rd, I had a look around it, it has everything most people need and more.
Post #852638 28th Aug 2020 2:46pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
When mine was doing it my foot was firm on the brake but it was clear from observers some wheels were receiving intermittent forward drive. So I wonder if this is Electronic trickery trying to fight physics on behalf of the driver. The car knows with the brake being pressed the intention is to slow or stop but senses the slide and the fact traction is lost so invokes drive to try and counter the physics at play as best it can. To most drivers I guess this is the best endeavour but would be nice to be told what’s happening or turn it off for those who feel more comfortable with their skill. I could be overthinking it and it was a total glitch Laughing 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #852639 28th Aug 2020 2:53pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I suppose if you are really lucky you'll receive an update via SOTA quickly enough to be saved before you reach the bottom!
Post #852643 28th Aug 2020 3:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 10 <12345678910>