↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Driven: New Defender - On & Off Road. Is it a Pretender?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
zilch wrote:
tIt would also depend on the application, and when you think of long range touring, would you say
the modern LR models (D3/4) have left the old series Defender behind In terms of capability?

That isn't the point I'm making though. Although could be an interesting discussion on its own. Smile

Let's face it, a 1970 Range Rover or a 1989 Discovery is arguably a better touring vehicle than the Defender ever was. And technically both pre-date the "Defender", which as a name wasn't introduced until 1990.

My point is more about the wider design intention of the design and how the styling has been preserved.

For reference I'd cite the Jeep Wrangler range. A vehicle with a legacy that pre-dates that of even the Defender. Yet the latest JL model still "looks" like a 'Jeep' and is instantly recognisable as such. Jeep have preserved design elements that existed on the WW2 counterpart and made them relevant today. Not just visually, but functionally too.

Suzuki have done similar with the Jimny. A vehicle which might only date back to the 1970's. But look at an early example and look at the latest model. And you can clearly see the same design language being used. As well as having preserved the basic fundamental designs and ethos.

Mercedes would be another with the G-Wagen, that while it is now far more expensive. And has had a major make over. It still remains very much a G-Wagen. This is for both of the current variants.

And there are others that seem to share such views. The Grenadier wouldn't exist otherwise. And of course more recently, the re-imaging of the classic Ford Bronco. Where I think Ford truly have captured the ethos and styling of the past model and brought it right up to date and then some.

I do not hate the new model. But being a person who was very excited for a new Defender model, I wish Land Rover had done something more akin to the Wrangler/Bronco/Grenadier if they were to slap the Defender nameplate onto a new vehicle.

I honestly believe had JLR called the new model a Discovery, not a single person would be complaining or be disappointed. Which is why I suggested it being a Defender SPORT as a more apt compromise.

Smile
Post #850494 17th Aug 2020 1:47pm
muddypaws

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Stacey007 wrote:
the crawling with an auto is very handy when hooking up a trailer or reversing a trailer, Makes it far more predictable and precise where your heading with it.

Seems odd this auto did not let you do that.

Agreed - the antistall on my 90 is just brilliant Richard

Defender 90 SVX
Post #850503 17th Aug 2020 2:12pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Excellent write-up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #850504 17th Aug 2020 2:14pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
So what did the dealer say to you when you explained the issues in regards to the gearbox and rattles when you took the Defender back?

Did you offer to take out the Sales manager so that he / she could experience the issues and feed this information back to base?

Tim recently had a feedback pack so JLR are clearly wanting detailed information from new owners and anything that helps further ownership has to be good surely.

In regards to the 240 engine and gearbox, it’s an absolute rocket in my wife’s Velar so we are looking forward to our three hour play, I mean, test drive this weekend.

My wife over the years has had a three door Freelander 1, five door face lifted Freelander 1, Discovery 2, DiscoverY 3, Evoque, Discovery Sport SD and Ingenium and now a Velar Dynamic. On the newer side of Land Rover ownership, as opposed to me V8 110, 90 TD, 300 TDI 110 and current 90 TD5 Since 1994 , you have to regard the new Defender as ‘modern’ evolution. We all know that in terms of modern vehicle manufacturing things just aren’t allowed to stay the same.

I still remember when the Series boys moaned when coil springs arrived, then one piece doors, then wind up windows. They would turn in their camouflage trousers and call the last generation of Defender owners softies for wanting leather dashboards and door cards, shag pile carpets, 18 inch alloys and as for lowering kits.......heaven help them.

Are we now facing a new era of moaning before owners like Tim have had their Defenders 12 months and can then give us a fully roundEd
new Defender owning experience.

Remember The Camel Trophy died out years ago. Owners aren’t given a machete as a present from the dealer, they will get a driving experience voucher so with that as I have found the Experience drivers are fantastic and very knowledgeable and will take the time to explain in detail ho the systems work when asked. Many people that attend are only there for the Oooh Ahhhh experience.

As we all know the vast majority of owners who buy the Defender on finance will never use those systems for fear of reducing the return value. And let’s face it, I see more shiny Classic Defenders on the road these days than others that match my scratches..so it could be argued that the New Defender is a product of the last generation of Defender owners rather than traditional owners.
Post #850505 17th Aug 2020 2:25pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
That last paragraph right there MarkB110... NAILED IT
Post #850518 17th Aug 2020 3:11pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Now close all the discussion threads.. let's enjoy it for what it is, I like it all the same.
Post #850519 17th Aug 2020 3:12pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
@markb110

I think the confusion arises in believing the new model is evolutionary. It isn’t. It is revolutionary. As in something completely different.

As for modern manufacturing. How come pretty much ever other major car maker across the globe still builds and sells ladder chassis, body on frame 4x4’s with at least one live axle? Some of these models are also under 2 years since launch or are still in development. Evidently everyone else has no trouble or issues manufacturing like this in the modern age.
Post #850525 17th Aug 2020 3:42pm
redneckwilly

United States 
Haters gonna hate! Laughing

For your requirements, a pickup truck might be a better suited vehicle. Do they sell Ford F150's over there? Body on Frame, more storage in back bed than an old Defender, made for rough conditions. But they can be quite tall as well. So, if you had trouble climbing in the new Defender, side steps or a small step stool accessory could be the answer. Thumbs Up
Post #850540 17th Aug 2020 4:30pm
Tr90

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Alveston Red
What a great write up. Thank you for your time in doing this. Very informative
Post #850588 17th Aug 2020 8:00pm
zilch

Australia 
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
[ I honestly believe had JLR called the new model a Discovery, not a single person would be complaining or be disappointed. Which is why I suggested it being a Defender SPORT as a more apt compromise.

Smile

i suspect the "defender sport" moniker will be added to the family in the form of a smaller variant in the future,
aka Disco Sport, Evoque and Velar .. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #850646 18th Aug 2020 8:51am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
redneckwilly wrote:
Haters gonna hate! Laughing

For your requirements, a pickup truck might be a better suited vehicle. Do they sell Ford F150's over there? Body on Frame, more storage in back bed than an old Defender, made for rough conditions. But they can be quite tall as well. So, if you had trouble climbing in the new Defender, side steps or a small step stool accessory could be the answer. Thumbs Up

lol but what requirements???
Post #850659 18th Aug 2020 10:52am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Sadly no F-150 over here. Big Cry
Post #850661 18th Aug 2020 11:06am
redneckwilly

United States 
Requirements? Sitting in the barn writing long-winded, uninformative postings with the occasional drive up a ramp? Laughing
Post #850687 18th Aug 2020 1:23pm
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
Great posts here and thank you very much for the extensive review! On last weekend we had an invitation from my long time sales man to test drive a similar configuration. Experience was comparable and yes, it is a different car, not something I would feel worth the badge 'Defender'. If I would look for a Disco replacement it might be a pretender option, but as I was looking into something maybe replacing my old 90 ... No, I'll keep the old as long as it runs now. Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #850699 18th Aug 2020 2:46pm
Slideywindows

England 
So many people on here and elsewhere saying "I've decided to keep my old Defender".

Surely that's a fail, JLR?

All the new "Defender" has achieved is to get Land Rover lovers arguing with (even hating?) each other.

Please JLR, re-name the damn thing, so we can find harmony again......
Post #850719 18th Aug 2020 4:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 10 <12345678910>