↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Ineos in talks with Daimler to build Grenadier in France
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Intercept wrote:
AMBxx wrote:
Sounds like someone's shopping around for government subsidy.

^^^ Yep

You mean more ~ they've already got two up their sleeves thanks to a devolved Welsh government and a UK scheme.
Post #842620 8th Jul 2020 6:35pm
SteveK

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Rimini Red
The uncertainty regarding Brexit with or without a deal is a factor. A no deal Brexit would make the Grenadier expensive in Europe and other territories.
Post #842673 8th Jul 2020 11:54pm
Avion8

Australia 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
It should be built in Australia for sure. As a (Once) great car manufacturing country we have a heap of empty factories - think Holden, Ford, Toyota, Mitsubishi, oh wait, they are all shuttered! Whistle 1955 Series 1 107" Pick up.
1977 RRC Suffix 'D'.
2000 Defender 110 TD5 Xtreme.
2015 Defender Heritage 90.
Post #842674 9th Jul 2020 12:55am
Supacat

If Grenadier has an eye of being the "spiritual successor" then CKD has to come in somewhere surely?
Post #842692 9th Jul 2020 8:18am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I can think of at least two advantages to going down the CKD route.

Firstly the the vehicle could be sold though Ikea as a self-assembly unit (might need more than an allen key and screwdriver though), and secondly it is in the finest tradition of the Defender - most of us end up completely rebuilding our Defenders so that they are built correctly and to last. Therefore if the Grenadier really is the Defender's successor, selling it CKD would save the time needed to dismantle it.
Post #842695 9th Jul 2020 8:37am
Supacat

Click image to enlarge

It seems Ikea are ready for this...
Post #842701 9th Jul 2020 9:02am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Can you just imagine getting all those boxes under the Xmas tree........ Bow down

Better than Lego

Just remember not to build it in the living room.. Whistle
Post #842717 9th Jul 2020 10:17am
Supacat

Pilgrimmick wrote:
Well the chances of me buying one will disappear if it is built abroad. Hopefully everyone in the U.K. saying the same thing will influence the decision.

I've found you a Defender replacement :

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

RBSL (@RH_BAES_Land) Tweeted:
A positive step for the #MIV programme. We’re proud to be supporting British industry! #TeamBOXERMIV https://twitter.com/RH_BAES_Land/status/1281152389089812480?s=20
Post #842744 9th Jul 2020 1:23pm
B4Lamb

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
I have had a mild interest in a Grenadier (if they brought out a short wheelbase version like the 90) but the talk of building it in France is putting a big spanner in the works for me, particularly as I live in Wales. For someone who claimed to be Pro Brexit, how does that fit with his principles? It's likely that there will be import duties from any parts shipped from Europe but I'm sure the duty payable will be higher on a complete vehicle than just the engine and chassis so that will mean it will be more costly to buy in the UK than it will be in Europe if he goes down the France Assembly route. Perhaps they expect more sales in Europe than the UK?? As for the M4 argument, you would think that was one of the big ticket items that was considered before going so far into planning a factory build in Bridgend. It stinks really. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #842929 10th Jul 2020 12:11am
Supacat

This article suggests that it's more than an option to go to France:

"The fact of the matter is that a site became available in France very late last week and in a very short space of time the business decided to go to France rather than remain in Wales.'

Mr Skates confirmed that the government will look to recover the costs already paid out for preparing the proposed Bridgend site if Ineos does take up the option of Daimler's French factory that's been put up for sale.

'We will be seeking to recoup the £4million that has been spent to date,' he explained.

'There is the slightest chance it will still come to Wales but it would require the deal in France to fall through."

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/a...sense.html
Post #842953 10th Jul 2020 8:54am
foggydave

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Bonatti Grey
Does it really matter where its built? I own a 2.2 Defender. because the 2.2 fulfills all my needs as a tow, work and leisure vehicle and more importantly it has that extra unexplainable smile on the face factor that gives great pleasure in driving it. I would want the same in any new motor I bought. Before the Grenadier the nearest match would have been the new Land Rover Defender. I think though the Grenadier blows it out of the water. I look at the Grenadier and see an old friend and somehow know I will be happy in its company. As stated before what motor is the product of a single country or continent.
Maybe we should ask ourselves the question. - Had the old Defenders production been moved out of Britain would it have been any less a Defender? For me it would not, for you maybe it would, but it is what it is and the new Defender will be the same Defender which ever country it is built in be it Wales or France.
Post #842964 10th Jul 2020 9:41am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
spudfan

Ireland 
Supacat wrote:
Pilgrimmick wrote:
Well the chances of me buying one will disappear if it is built abroad. Hopefully everyone in the U.K. saying the same thing will influence the decision.

I've found you a Defender replacement :

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

RBSL (@RH_BAES_Land) Tweeted:
A positive step for the #MIV programme. We’re proud to be supporting British industry! #TeamBOXERMIV https://twitter.com/RH_BAES_Land/status/1281152389089812480?s=20

Can you put your arm out the window to adjust the mirrors? Whistle 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #843001 10th Jul 2020 2:08pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
That depends on how long your arm is, spudfan Laughing

I bet there’s more elbow room in that thing, than there is in a Defender with the window up Thumbs Up
Post #843005 10th Jul 2020 2:35pm
B4Lamb

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
foggydave wrote:
Does it really matter where its built? I own a 2.2 Defender. because the 2.2 fulfills all my needs as a tow, work and leisure vehicle and more importantly it has that extra unexplainable smile on the face factor that gives great pleasure in driving it. I would want the same in any new motor I bought. Before the Grenadier the nearest match would have been the new Land Rover Defender. I think though the Grenadier blows it out of the water. I look at the Grenadier and see an old friend and somehow know I will be happy in its company. As stated before what motor is the product of a single country or continent.
Maybe we should ask ourselves the question. - Had the old Defenders production been moved out of Britain would it have been any less a Defender? For me it would not, for you maybe it would, but it is what it is and the new Defender will be the same Defender which ever country it is built in be it Wales or France.

Well normally it wouldn't matter where it's build but seeing that a certain Sir Ratcliffe has been verbally backing Britain's ability to do well as an independent nation outside of the EU you would think he would put his money where his mouth is and back Britain by bringing in employment and investing to boost the UK economy. He is no better than that other toe rag Branson although he was pro UK staying in the EU. So no sorry ... after all his promises he goes and does the dirty on the UK and in particular Wales so it's left a sour taste in my mouth for sure. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #843074 11th Jul 2020 12:58am
Supacat

I'm not sure what the cost of the the new factory in Wales was going to be, maybe £100m ~£150m? It's been reported he bought the land there off the council at full market rate, and has obviously signed contracts and sunk costs into it's development.

Now there's an offer on the table to buy a complete plant for £50m, £25m, £10m or even a £1 if he picks up the liability for the existing staff?

I'm not certain how even the most ardent Brexiteer would look at such an opportunity and not want to run the numbers again and see that a very marginal business case suddenly has a reasonable ROI. Who knows whether some of that saving in set up costs could flow through to offset some of the material costs, or even flow right through to the Retail Price?
Post #843079 11th Jul 2020 6:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 9 <123456789>