↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Ineos in talks with Daimler to build Grenadier in France
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Yes, Supacat, there is a rail link, but rail is inflexible and expensive. Even the rail leasing companies utilise road transport for moving trains because it is cheaper and easier than going by rail (I have never ever understood that as giant loads by truck aren’t straight forward and are very disruptive to others?)

I think we generally underutilise our rail service in this country. The rails are busy for four hours a day getting commuters to work and home again and then is generally quiet for the rest Of the time where freight doesn’t have a rush hour. But that’s getting off topic.

I would imagine the people of Bridgend are wondering why them? One of the banks has a big call centre there, but other big employers have moved out like Sony who made tellies there for 30 years. And now Ineos might not even break ground?
Post #842521 8th Jul 2020 12:10pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I just hope that Ineos see sense and continue with their plans for Bridgend. I would hate to see production go to France but it could be worse, they could be thinking of building it in China Big Cry Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #842542 8th Jul 2020 1:54pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Rashers wrote:
Yes, Supacat, there is a rail link, but rail is inflexible and expensive. Even the rail leasing companies utilise road transport for moving trains because it is cheaper and easier than going by rail.

Not sure that's true on any of those counts. Rail has a huge part to play in moving large quantities of materials around the country on a daily basis; and if you are in the know then train paths can always be planned into schedules.

Just 3 aviation fuel trains a day which snake their way across the South East and London to reach Heathrow Airport from a port in Kent, remove around 35,000 road tanker movements annually.

What trains have you seen on the road that are fully operational and just being relocated? If you are talking about backloading trains onto flatbed rail trucks then the issue may have more to do with bridge clearances than the economics.
Post #842549 8th Jul 2020 2:31pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Locomotives and rolling stock which are either not main line certified or which are defective cannot be transported by rail, so must be moved by road. Sometimes also items are moved by road because the cost of causing delays to services is now so extreme that the risk is intolerable or uninsurable.

The railway remains the most energy-efficient and cost-effective way to move bulk loads between the same terminals, hence the fuel tanker trains, aggregate trains, and (when we still have coal fired power stations) MGR block coal trains. Ironically the only thing the railway really isn't good at is moving people.
Post #842558 8th Jul 2020 3:10pm
adolfy

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Bronze Green
keef9t wrote:
Assembled in France ?

My interest in this vehicle is disappearing fast.

+1 Thumbs Up Land Rover 1950 series 1
Land Rover LWB 1967 series 2A
Land Rover SWB 1980 series 3
Land Rover 110 Defender 2013
Post #842565 8th Jul 2020 3:21pm
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
+1 again.

One of the principle desires behind Defender ownership was the British design and manufacture.

I have nothing against other countries manufacturing abilities (lets face it, the Germans and Japanese manufacturing beat us all), but I do think we should support local manufacture where possible, in the same way as supporting local farming when sourcing food.

If it ends up being built abroad then that is a large chunk of the appeal removed. 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #842567 8th Jul 2020 3:26pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
blackwolf wrote:
Locomotives and rolling stock which are either not main line certified or which are defective cannot be transported by rail, so must be moved by road. Sometimes also items are moved by road because the cost of causing delays to services is now so extreme that the risk is intolerable or uninsurable.

The railway remains the most energy-efficient and cost-effective way to move bulk loads between the same terminals, hence the fuel tanker trains, aggregate trains, and (when we still have coal fired power stations) MGR block coal trains. Ironically the only thing the railway really isn't good at is moving people.

I understand there is actually excess capacity currently in rail freight due to the demise of coal fired power stations. The transportation of coal accounting for significant % of overall rail freight. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #842568 8th Jul 2020 3:34pm
Supacat

And it looks like JLR like using rail:

"A train loaded with 198 cars of the Jaguar Land Rover manufacturer (JLR) has arrived today, 22nd June 2020 at the Koper's Car & RO-RO terminal, which marks an important step in cooperation between Luka Koper and JLR. JLR has been shipping cars through Koper since 2017, when they stared cooperating with their partner production plant in Graz, Austria. Since the opening of their own production plant in Nitra, Slovakia in October 2018, the oversea export volumes have been growing. In addition to regular truck shipments, the cars will be arriving now from Nitra also by train. JLR has chosen the logistic route via Port of Koper because of good experience related to high-end car handling and the vast network of car-carrier services to the Mediterranean and Asia. The volumes are mostly exported to China with the weekly MOL service, while the Mediterranean – mostly Greece, Egypt, Israel, Turkey and Cyprus – is served by many weekly Intra-Med services calling Koper.

The throughput of cars has reached 162.722 units in the first three months of 2020, a 4 percent decrease compared to the first quarter of 2019. However, the investment activities are in full swing, as two major investments have been completed in recent months: the new dedicated terminal rail access and the new RO-RO berth, while the construction of the additional garage for 6.000 units is proceeding on plan. According to the ranking published every year by Automotive Logistics – Finished Vehicle Logistics, Koper gained two places in 2019 as the seventh largest automotive port in Europe and third in the Mediterranean.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

https://www.luka-kp.si/eng/news/single/fir...kope-35944
Post #842573 8th Jul 2020 3:54pm
Supacat

Hufflepuff wrote:
+1 again.

One of the principle desires behind Defender ownership was the British design and manufacture.

I have nothing against other countries manufacturing abilities (lets face it, the Germans and Japanese manufacturing beat us all), but I do think we should support local manufacture where possible, in the same way as supporting local farming when sourcing food.

If it ends up being built abroad then that is a large chunk of the appeal removed.

That argument may hold up well if the item is generic and available from multiple locations (although there are arguments to suggest that globalisation works best for the most); but seems to fall down completely when looking at complex/unique items.

Grenadier was always being designed abroad, so you only had one leg to stand on anyway.
Post #842577 8th Jul 2020 4:04pm
Rashers

I'm not knocking rail freight, it's just, in my opinion, is poorly utilised and has been for years.

I wince at the lorries leaving Felixstowe (the local port to me) even though there is a rail line into the port (which has some use) there are still thousands of trucks moving in and out every day. If the train could just move the containers to the bits of the country they need to get to before being transferred to road transport for the final leg, that would make an enormous difference to the environment and road usage.

I can't see that rail could get used efficiently to supply a small scale car manufacturing operation such as Ineos were going to have at Bridgend. Lets be real about it, most of the materials coming in and vehicles going out are going to be road transported. JR is not going to take the train to site meetings is he?

Most manufacturing (as has been said previously) works on a just in time basis where product will only turn up to site as it is needed. Sadly, our railways don't work like that and do not have that flexibility that a couple of dozen artics have.

There is a reason that industry does not use railways and its not because they are cheap, efficient and easy to use, because if it was, everyone would be using them.
Post #842579 8th Jul 2020 4:11pm
Supacat

We'll agree to disagree. Thumbs Up

Now I'm beginning to think that sea transport is more expensive than roads as I've just seen this:

https://twitter.com/Capt_Navy/status/1280878562690641920?s=20
Post #842583 8th Jul 2020 4:23pm
V8Simon

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 90 V8 Petrol SW Auto Arles Blue
UK minister's Ineos M4 claims 'nonsense on stilts'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-53336549 1984 90 V8 puma want to be.
Post #842586 8th Jul 2020 4:29pm
Rashers

Supacat wrote:
We'll agree to disagree. Thumbs Up

Now I'm beginning to think that sea transport is more expensive than roads as I've just seen this:

https://twitter.com/Capt_Navy/status/1280878562690641920?s=20

That is amazing Shocked
Post #842587 8th Jul 2020 4:32pm
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
AMBxx wrote:
Sounds like someone's shopping around for government subsidy.

^^^ Yep
Post #842592 8th Jul 2020 5:01pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
V8Simon wrote:
UK minister's Ineos M4 claims 'nonsense on stilts'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-53336549

Yesterday Ineos were blaming Covid. Today they are blaming the M4. All the while the elephant in the room just sits there chuckling to himself. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #842595 8th Jul 2020 5:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>