↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Commercial Variant
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 22 of 26 <123 ... 212223 242526>
Print this entire topic · 
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Dual purpose vehicles seems to relate to unladen weight (max 2040kg)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications...e-vehicles

I’ve just had a quick look and Hilux, D-Max and Ranger seem to sneak in under that weight. The 90HT is just over. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #894019 26th Mar 2021 7:55am
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
That also applies to speed limits so DPV (ie pickups under unladen weight of 2040kg can be driven same speed as a car or CDV.

So kind of puts the Defender HT out on its own a bit. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #894020 26th Mar 2021 7:58am
Tom_T

United Kingdom 
Ahh ok makes sense. Thanks 👍
Post #894022 26th Mar 2021 8:06am
camelman

United Kingdom 
Most double cabs tend to hover either side of the DPV limit based on the particular spec (i.e. some Ford Rangers are below the 2040kg limit and some of the higher spec'd ones (such as the 3.0 Wildtrax etc) are above the weight).

We run a pair of Ford Rangers in Mountain Rescue and because they're rear canopies are permanently fitted, they come in a tad over the weight limit and are therefore not DPV.

The 90 HT is well over the limit at 2285kg so has no hope of DPV status. 
Post #894030 26th Mar 2021 8:43am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Tom_T wrote:
Most pick ups have a GVM of over 3050kg but they are classed as dual purpose vehicles. Out of interest (and because I don’t know) why wouldn’t the defender be classed as dual purpose? Is it because it only has a front row of seats?

Because the ULW exceeds 2040kg, and to be classified as a DPV the ULW must not exceed 2040kg.

Edit - sorry, answered before noticing that there was another page, DOH!
Post #894061 26th Mar 2021 10:34am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
The Clarkson Review: They call it Hard Top
... but it’s such a softie

Click image to enlarge

"It may look like the normal, long-wheel-base five-door car, albeit with steel wheels, but if you open the rear doors there are no seats. And you’ll realise there are no windows back there either. Yup. This is a van. Possibly the coolest van since Mr T hung up his A-Team membership badge. And the Land Rover I borrowed was especially cool because it came to my house with some very snazzy Diddly Squat Farm decals on the doors. Maybe then this could be my new farm car?"

" I reviewed the normal, short-wheel-base Defender last year and was very impressed. Yes, it’s aimed at people in Shoreditch, but it’s not just a load of styling flimflam; it had genuine off-road ability, even on normal summer tyres, and sufficient engineering to ensure you can submerge the electrics for an hour and they’ll still work. It’ll even wade through nearly a metre of water.

It was a proper working man’s tool. But unfortunately it didn’t come with a proper working man’s price tag. The car I drove, which had a tiny engine, cost not far short of £60,000 and I worked out that if you went for more power and a few extras, you could send that up towards £100,000. And that was ludicrous.

I was therefore looking forward to the commercial Hard Top version because obviously it would be less. And it is. Especially when you factor in the various potential tax benefits. But not by as much as I’d hoped. Prices for the 110 version I had start at £43,700 — not including VAT — and if you want some toys, you can see that shoot up past £80,000. Which, for a van, is a lot.

It’s not even a very good van. The rear door, which opens sideways and is therefore a nuisance in tight spaces, leaves a very small opening. And then further forward, there’s a bulkhead to stop whatever you’ve put back there slamming into the back of your head every time you brake. That’s great but God, it robs a lot of space.

Under the floor, there are cubbyholes accessed via flaps that will almost certainly break in a week and elsewhere there are drop-down hooks that are so flimsy they give the impression they’d shatter in a frost. If you are a curtain-maker or you produce artisanal bread then this won’t be an issue, but if you need to get some sheep to the abattoir, to be lulled to death with a Carpenters song, you’d end up with what looks like the aftermath of a high-speed Formula One crash.

Further forward, there are problems too. At oblique junctions, the blind spot is horrendous — because there are no back windows — and while there’s an optional centre seat that can be created by raising the arm rest, you’re not going to get Gaz or Baz to sit in it for very long. And there’ll be a lot of man touching.

It strikes me that what we have here then is an afterthought car. It’s as though they made the normal version and then cobbled together a rough-and-tumble working version to silence those who thought the standard car was too poncey and expensive.

The trouble is that it’s not rough and tumble. Yes, it’s a great off-roader and it works well on the motorway too, but the rear end appears to have been made to the same tolerances as a BASF cassette box. And the front is compromised as well.

It’s annoying. I wanted to want this car, and the Yorkshireman in me was really drawn to the tax benefits. But I think if I had one I’d want to get rid of it as soon as possible and have my old Range Rover back."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-cla...-mpxw8lmg5
Post #917020 15th Aug 2021 7:15am
ginjez

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Santorini Black
I agree with all what he says but that aside I still love mine for the purpose I bought it.
Post #917021 15th Aug 2021 7:22am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Curtain making or artisan bread production? Laughing Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #917037 15th Aug 2021 9:35am
ginjez

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Both Rolling with laughter
Post #917046 15th Aug 2021 11:43am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Heh, heh Laughing Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #917058 15th Aug 2021 12:45pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
Definitely cancelling my order now - imagine a van with poor visibility! Useless.

It’s a good job he’s never looked in the back of a Land Cruiser commercial.
Post #917062 15th Aug 2021 1:37pm
ginjez

Visibility is poor out of most vans (I drive a Transit too) at junctions but I've had 90 HT's all my working life so anything is an improvement on those. I try position the vehicle to suit the angle of visibility.
Post #917068 15th Aug 2021 2:39pm
J77

Scotland 
Visibility is poor even on the (new) 90 station wagon, massive B pillar cause a blind spot. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #917081 15th Aug 2021 5:18pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Philip wrote:
Definitely cancelling my order now - imagine a van with poor visibility! Useless.

It’s a good job he’s never looked in the back of a Land Cruiser commercial.

The question that you seem to be ignoring from others is whether you get a staff discount. For someone who has told others "it's a simple question" you seem to struggle to apply the same rule to yourself...
Post #917084 15th Aug 2021 5:36pm
J77

Scotland 

£80k though, somebody’s charging their customers too much Laughing 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #918914 27th Aug 2021 9:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 22 of 26 <123 ... 212223 242526>