Page 2 of 26 <123 ... 242526>
Print this entire topic · 
J77

Scotland 
Joys of a modern LR even my Velar tips the scales at nearly 2000kg
Post #833188 24th May 2020 10:22pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I believe that quite a number of the current 4x4 double-cab pick-ups exceed the ULW limit and are therefore not DPVs. The last versions of the old Defender were getting close.
Post #833224 25th May 2020 7:28am
Morepower

New Zealand 
walfy wrote:
If the info is correct ref the qualifying of the new commercial for BiK etc etc then JLR have missed a trick. I certainly won't be buying if it's not 100% commercial qualifying, can't justify those sort of costs. Looks like I'll be keeping my current 110 a bit longer

It appears so... Unfortunately given they've had to start with a D5... They've done what they can with a platform that's designed to move people around in comfort and safety... However, as we've already seen with the D5 commercial... even with the rear seats removed it still can't carry the necessary load to qualify as a true commercial vehicle...
Can LR fix this?.... Honestly who knows... But I suspect not, Otherwise they would have done it with the D5 already.... It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #833226 25th May 2020 7:32am
myonehere

2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
"A source" has told me that they FULLY intend to get the 90 Commercial in under [just] the 'magic' weight for a DPV.
Post #833883 28th May 2020 3:20pm
J77

Scotland 
When I saw the 90 commercial in the flesh I wasn’t allowed to look inside as they still classed it as a concept car, and very much work in progress as there was still things they were working on.
Post #833885 28th May 2020 3:25pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
I Really hope they manage it... It's the 'Soul' of the Defender... Ok... It's not going to be a tuneable as the old one, But if LR strip all the unnecessary crap out of the thing...Then they might just manage to retain some credibility....

As a commercial in my opinion, It should be spec'd something like this... (please feel free to add your opinions)

Coil Sprung.
Mechanical LSD options
Manual option
Proper tow attachment
Std should have basic spec... No carpets, Wind down windows, Plastic door panels..
Steel wheels

Then you should be able to add the options, Leather, sat nav, reversing camera etc etc...

just my 2p worth It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
Post #833986 29th May 2020 8:20am
J77

Scotland 
From what I could see it had cloth interior, it had air but the 90 has coils as standard so I’d assume the commercial will be the same and I’d imagine steels will be standard fit. All new Defenders have rubber flooring, unless a higher spec which comes with carpet mats.
Post #834002 29th May 2020 9:35am
walfy

myonehere wrote:
"A source" has told me that they FULLY intend to get the 90 Commercial in under [just] the 'magic' weight for a DPV.

I've had a 90 before but a CSW, sold that for a D3, sold that for my current 110USW. Can't see me going back to a 90 just to get it commercailly compliant for my company. If they can't get the 110 version in spec then I'll stick with what I have 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #834308 30th May 2020 9:40pm
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
If they made a 110 USW with 5 seats and that was properly commercial, then I'd buy one immediately.

The longer it goes on (and the less likely it seems that they'll make one) the more sensible it is beginning to seem to throw half the amount of money at my tired and battered existing 2.2 110 USW and put new engine and drivetrain, new seats and complete respray (I'll keep most of the dents, I think).
Post #834321 30th May 2020 10:49pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
myonehere wrote:

So by my calculations that's 168kgs to come out.

I wonder how easy that is?

Given that the weight limit was set in 1986 (my assumption based on the date of the legislation) and all vehicle weights must have increased significantly since then; it would seem easier to lobby Govt to revise these limits upwards. After all, a proportion of the additional weight has gone into systems that have been made mandatory since the original legislation was set, eg all the emissions control equipment, or into systems to make the vehicles safer for both occupants and other road users.
Post #834339 31st May 2020 6:15am
Morepower

New Zealand 
@Supacar Removing 168Kg won't be easy or cheap..... As we all know, The main structure is already alloy and in the strive for fuel economy manufacturers are already trying to reduce weight to a minimum....
I have to deal with this problem in both my work (motorsport) and my hobby (yacht racing).... As in most cases, It's initially very easy to remove excess weight. I'm current putting a production yacht through this exact process...
Hence my earlier post.... LR will have to strip all the crap out of the thing to get close...

No air suspension, So no compressor, ride height sensors wiring, control modules etc etc
Manual Gearbox... There generally lighter, But again... Possibly no transmission control unit with yet more heavy wiring...However, You have to add a clutch pedal, master cylinder (or cable) so this negates most of the gain...
Basic trim with wind up windows... Trying to reduce the BCM (Body control module) wiring etc to the minimum....

Even then, To lose 168Kg is going to be tight... It could be done... However, I don't expect it will.... So I'm expecting it to be another "commercial" variant for site managers and such like... It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
Post #834351 31st May 2020 8:35am
Croker

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Aintree Green
camelman wrote:
Don't forget the VAN speed limits Sad

van speed limits don't necessarily apply to dual purpose vehicles. 4x4's are ok if taxed normally, when there used to be "commercial" VED options such as Farmers Light Goods then the speed limits applied but on PLG the car limits apply as I understand it?
Post #834357 31st May 2020 9:08am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Supacat wrote:

A big chunk of that will be saved by removing the rear seats. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #834362 31st May 2020 9:18am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Croker wrote:
camelman wrote:
Don't forget the VAN speed limits Sad

van speed limits don't necessarily apply to dual purpose vehicles. 4x4's are ok if taxed normally, when there used to be "commercial" VED options such as Farmers Light Goods then the speed limits applied but on PLG the car limits apply as I understand it?

Whilst this is true, it's only so if the unladen weight of the vehicle is below the weight limit for a DPV, hence the discussion about the weight of this variant. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #834364 31st May 2020 9:21am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Supacat wrote:

A big chunk of that will be saved by removing the rear seats.

Do you think that's so much? I genuinely don't know, but was thinking the same amount of metalwork that is in the seat frames is probably used in the rear bulkhead arrangement, so the only net savings there would be the stuffing and leather.

Can't see them ripping too many bits of loom out, or going with a separate loom, and the engineering cost of a manual g/box must rule that option out.

Taking weight out of the glass was the only relatively simple solution i could think of, without adding too much labour cost back in.
Post #834367 31st May 2020 9:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 26 <123 ... 242526>