↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Dormobile Camper with a twist
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
The extended roof was fitted to western power vehicles in the south west, I believe for fitting the long reach "hotstick" insulated tools for high voltage work. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #825653 15th Apr 2020 9:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
VVS210 wrote:
Is that the roof from the Bedford you had off the chap who thought you were going to restore it & give it a new lease of life Whistle

Very impressive work Thumbs Up

Guilty Laughing

I have kept a few parts from the bedford and will incorporate them in the build, got to keep some of the old girl alive Wink
Post #825666 15th Apr 2020 9:45pm
Badger110

22900013A wrote:
The extended roof was fitted to western power vehicles in the south west, I believe for fitting the long reach "hotstick" insulated tools for high voltage work.

That's good to know, i shall be placing that knowledge of hotsticking in any future blurb about the build Very Happy
Post #825667 15th Apr 2020 9:46pm
Badger110

Fitted the snatch bull bar today, now to source some more friendly tyres.

Click image to enlarge
Post #826066 17th Apr 2020 7:20pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Have to say, it's looking the "mutts" Thumbs Up
Post #826070 17th Apr 2020 7:24pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
like that Thumbs Up 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #826085 17th Apr 2020 8:19pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Just what yu need to deal with the current 'end of days' scenario.......
Post #826086 17th Apr 2020 8:22pm
L110CDL

England 
It does look good Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #826645 20th Apr 2020 7:43pm
Badger110

Thank you all Very Happy

Had a not so good conversation with he insurance people who weren’t happy that there isn’t an engineers report on the roof even though dormobile sell the roof as a ‘kit ‘ but mine isn’t designed for a land rover.

I explained it has a 40mm box section framework bolted to the roof, but to an insurance person, that means nothing.
I’m now in a quandary as to whether I can keep the roof or get it signed off by a relevant body.

So I’ve been advised not to drive it until they can get someone to come take a look and in the meantime I either get documents from Dormobile stating the build is correct or contact DoT regarding an IVA.

In the meantime I’m working on the interior as that’ll be the same regardless... every cloud and all that Smile
Post #826653 20th Apr 2020 7:51pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Can you not find an engineer that can write a suitable report for you? It may cost a few hundred £ but it's got to be worth it given all the work you've put into it. Either that or find a different insurer. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #826656 20th Apr 2020 7:58pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Brilliant that they're worried about the roof but not the spare wheel and bull bar!
Post #826668 20th Apr 2020 8:21pm
Badger110

Bull bar is a factory produced item.

For the military, yes, but they were fine with that.

Insurance company have been great in the past, but they’ve only got 1 in the office and she’s not sure.

It’ll sort itself out one way or another, even if I do have to get a report.

Stuck at home for another 8 weeks, it’s not being driven
Post #826678 20th Apr 2020 8:45pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
When we had our first dormobile inner conversion on a TD5, it came with an engineer report from an independent through Dormobile, then when we moved all the kit into our pervious defender (2.4 TDCI) we had to have a report for the fittings which was supplied by our local independent garage at a very reasonable cost.

We had the new inners then the roof fitted in Germany and they supplied an engineers report for both these modifications as per german auto requirements.

So its something that is probably expected for modifications to the vehicle structure and peace of mind.

Fingers crossed for you to get it sorted ok. Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #826710 20th Apr 2020 10:02pm
Badger110

I can see their point of view and to be honest, for my own peace of mind i'd like someone to look at the extra support i've put in and say yes, you did it correctly ( which i know i did, but hey, we all like a nod from those in the know at times Razz )

I'm speaking with them again at the end of the week, i'll keep you updated.
Post #826713 20th Apr 2020 10:40pm
Badger110

I have a build thread on LR4x4, but i will keep you posted on here as well. It will be a copy/paste jobby Very Happy

Most trucks have a bench seat down one side in the rear and the cupboards, sink,cooker down the other. In a van this works as it utilises the most amount of space, however it's terribly boring and if you do sit down for something to eat, you're staring at a wall of cupboards Laughing

I got my thinking cap on and came up with a few ideas.

First one was to swap out the standard front seats for a bench seat. This would also make up part of the bed for the rear once it was folded down. If you fold the back rest down onto the base, you could create a seat base for the rear seats...

Second idea was to replace the standard front seats with a swivel mechanism. It would've been a fair bit of work as i would need to re arrange the seat box itself, but not impossible. The downside to this was the height issue. The front seats are low on the seat box and turned 180 degree's meant you would have to sit with your legs out in front of you rather than like a proper seat.

Those 2 ideas were ditched. The first because i came up with a different idea for a bed in the back and the second idea because the seating position wouldn't have been comfortable.

The third option is the one i went with.

Firstly i had to do a little job to the front seats. They lean back and lock and will lean to an upright position to lock but won't lean forwards and lock. The reason is there is a small pin on the seat base which moves out of alignment after the upright position. It allows the seat to ' flip ' forward. The design, i think, is due to having rear seats and no rear door in some 90 models. You gain access by flipping the front seat forward. I could be wrong. Anyway i needed to remedy this. Whipping out the welder, it was a case of welding a spot on the seat base which allowed the pin to stay in a position so you could lock the seat using the standard grooves. So i went from a maximum position of this;

Click image to enlarge

to be able to lock it in this position;

Click image to enlarge

by putting a spot weld here it allows the pin to move further along ( see arrow );

Click image to enlarge

Once that was done to both seats, i was able to make up a seat box in the rear which had movable tops to allow it to be in ' travel ' mode and in ' stopped ' mode. The seat box also had a sub fitted into cause i like loud music when i drive Very Happy

For the rear seat, i needed a back rest, i went with something simple.

I took a dog pen panel;

Click image to enlarge

and cut it down by 6 inchs and re welded it to produce 2 panels which were then hinged at the bottom and fitted to the truck floor just behind the front seats;

Click image to enlarge

together look like this;

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Both panels are independant of each other and can be moved when each of the 2 front seats are forward or back.

Click image to enlarge

In the below picture you can see the difference in the seat base's being in ' travel ' mode ( behind the driver ) and ' stopped ' ) mode behind the passenger.

Click image to enlarge

Overall view of the seating in the rear of the truck looking in from the rear. When we stop, the front seats get pulled forward, flipped and locked in position, seat base moved back and voila, we have a seat for the rear. Access is via the side doors and it's fairly easy to get in and out. The width of the seating is fully across the truck at 1400 and these cushions will double up as a bed base, which i'll cover later on in the build.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Lastly it's a picture of dog number 1 helping out again....

Click image to enlarge

...it's a hard life being a Basset Hound

Click image to enlarge
Post #827499 24th Apr 2020 10:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>