↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Coronavirus Discussion/Advice/Assistance Thread (Part 2)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 27 of 35 <123 ... 262728 ... 333435>
Print this entire topic · 
Andrew james

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
17 million adults have had their first dose here in the uk
Post #887041 21st Feb 2021 9:46pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Both my parents have had their first jabs. I go for my first tomorrow afternoon.

There are a few people getting random appointments miles from their homes but I think in general, there is not much to complain about. The system in the UK is pretty slick.

It felt at first that no one was getting inoculated even though we were being told the jabs had started. But within a short time the numbers started picking up. They are saying every adult should have been offered their first jab by the end of July which I think is pretty impressive Thumbs Up

Hope you get yours soon, Pickles.
Post #887044 21st Feb 2021 10:05pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
I’m getting my first one tomorrow afternoon too. Text received on Friday and booked it for Monday

Not due to age but medical condition although I’m still suffering from the after effects of having it 3 weeks ago ( the virus, not the jab )
Post #887045 21st Feb 2021 10:29pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Pickles wrote:
Hello from Aussie.
Our vaccinations are to commence this week

Surprised to see this going ahead so soon, give you're only just commencing jabs ~ "The National 4X4 Outdoors Show is set to take place from 19-21 March 2021 at the Brisbane Showgrounds"

https://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/get-set-for...-4x4-show/
Post #887054 22nd Feb 2021 8:03am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me. Some things go ahead & some don't, for example the Victorian State Govt allowed the Australian Open Tennis Tournament to go ahead with massive crowds, but then disallowed other events. Maybe the dollars have something to do with it, but there's certainly some unfathomable decisions being made.
Pickles.
Post #887194 22nd Feb 2021 9:38pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Supacat wrote:
Pickles wrote:
Hello from Aussie.
Our vaccinations are to commence this week

Surprised to see this going ahead so soon, give you're only just commencing jabs ~ "The National 4X4 Outdoors Show is set to take place from 19-21 March 2021 at the Brisbane Showgrounds"

https://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/get-set-for...-4x4-show/

Pickles might be able to correct me on this, but my mum (Kiwi) has a holiday pad just up the coast from Brisbane and she said that Oz has been very strict and that each territory had its own lockdown, with borders completely closed even between territories, apart from very strictly controlled movement corridors. The movement corridors are between territories that have low/no Covid, (and with NZ), but still require quarantining. And they’re very reactive in shutting the corridor. For example, if NSW has a Covid spike, then QLD will close the corridor immediately.

As such, QLD has only had 1300 cases and six deaths over the past year and only 23 of those cases are considered as being ‘interstate’ infections. Approximately 1000 cases have come from overseas and have been ‘caught’ in quarantine hotels and almost all of them in Brisbane. What’s more, 90% of those cases were pre April 2020, likely all the Aussies returning home from the UK etc, but by May they were down to just 3, 4, or 5 cases a week. Not unsurprisingly they had a spike of cases over Christmas and the New Year (also their summer hols), approx 30 between the week preceding Christmas and the week post NY, but only two in the last week and only 15 this month. But overall, almost all its cases have been discovered in Quarantine.

This has meant that life within its borders has been almost entirely normal. Everything open and working. My mum who spent almost the entire year in Oz has maintained an entirely normal existence. So the decision to continue with this show is no different now to under pre-Covid times, as in QLD they’re one and the same. Much like NZ where my sisters have been heading to music festivals, pubs, restaurants, sports events (as fans and competitors) etc etc throughout the year. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #887220 23rd Feb 2021 6:49am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Yes, generally speaking we have been very lucky in Aussie, our "Island State" has been a natural border for us, we have had strong leadership from our Federal Govt, & whilst our States have separate "State" governments, and make some of their own, sometimes selfish, decisions, we have been able to keep ourselves safe. The only major disaster we've had is the total stuff up by the Victorian State Govt who mismanaged covert controls last year with the consequence of 820 deaths.
Pickles.
Post #887266 23rd Feb 2021 11:01am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Oz and NZ have done brilliantly. If only we hadn't taken over a year to secure our borders. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #887286 23rd Feb 2021 1:28pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
We haven't.......
Post #887379 23rd Feb 2021 10:03pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Yes you are right, it’s taken over a year and we still haven’t closed our borders. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #887391 23rd Feb 2021 11:10pm
90 Dreamer

exactly.............its OK though as we are "following the science" apparently..........
Post #887469 24th Feb 2021 12:53pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
We can’t. We’re the world's 5th largest economy, we have huge physical and financial infrastructure that can’t simply be shut down and unlike NZ we are a bloated island that can far from feed or sustain itself. In terms of freight we have to keep borders open, NZ doesn’t have to. And by the time we went into lockdown C-19 was well established and in a country as densely packed as ours was happily self multiplying without an effect from external borders. NZ ‘closed’ its borders only 4 days before the UK went into lockdown, and within a week of the UK doing so weekly passenger numbers into the UK for that time of year had dropped from 1.8m to 35k. But we don’t just deal in tourists.

Just a few stats from ‘normal’ times.

486m tonnes of freight arrives by container ship each year
155m people transit (not get off) through London airports each year
70 thousand lorries cross the Dover straights each week (then you have NI/IRL, and other Channel and North Sea crossings)
2000 freight trains cross the channel each week.
3m tonnes of Air freight worth almost £200bn goes through UK airports each year.

So, how many people does all that trade involve? How could we close our borders like NZ? Passenger numbers through UK imports is down by as much as 80%, but it would be almost impossible to close it like NZ. NZ closed its borders just as it headed into winter when almost no tourists visit. What’s more nobody ‘hubs’ through NZ, 3 million a week do through London airports alone which is the same at NZ’s total annual visitors. NZ is also practically self sufficient, certainly from a food stuffs point of view, whereas the UK couldn’t be even if it wanted to, there’s simply no capacity to feed 70m people with the agricultural SqKM available. Shutting down that infrastructure, people and freight sounds awesome, but how exactly could it be achieved ? We are not NZ, comparing the two is simply nonsensical. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #887660 25th Feb 2021 8:18am
Supacat

Grenadier wrote:
So the decision to continue with this show is no different now to under pre-Covid times, as in QLD they’re one and the same.

Are you assuming that a "National" show draws all it's exhibitors from within the state?

Grenadier wrote:
we have huge physical and financial infrastructure that can’t simply be shut down

And yet the furlough and other associated schemes did just that for huge sectors of the economy.

There's much that can be compared and contrasted between the UK and NZ approaches to the pandemic, to some the nonsensical approach is to ignore this and make excuses for some of the very poor decisions that have been made here.
Post #887673 25th Feb 2021 9:07am
90 Dreamer

freight and specific business travel would be fine but the nonsense of allowing these Video bloggers to flit in and out to Dubai and other such silliness is exactly that..........silly.......
Post #887689 25th Feb 2021 10:19am
Supacat

This moves things along...

Bernie's Tweets (@berniespofforth) Tweeted:
Implementing the ‘No jab, no job’ policy, New Zealand PM outlines that private companies will also be ‘obliged’ to ensure employees are vaccinated.

My body, my choice becomes My body, state choice.

#CovidVaccine #NoVaccinePassports https://t.co/8L9N5XireA https://twitter.com/berniespofforth/status...42016?s=20
Post #897477 11th Apr 2021 4:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 27 of 35 <123 ... 262728 ... 333435>