↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Coronavirus Discussion/Advice/Assistance Thread (Part 2)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 24 of 35 <123 ... 232425 ... 333435>
Print this entire topic · 
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
GREENI wrote:
What annoys the hell out of me is that there are products out there that have been tested and proven to stop and envelope the Coronavirus, the benefits are massive, but trying to get it front of the NHS to see it is just so difficult.

https://www.lumibio.com/

You have to know the "right" people. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/1...racts.html

Or if you are an old drinking buddy of Matt Hancock then whatsApp him. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov...pp-message WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #876481 5th Jan 2021 8:53pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ That’s politically based opinion and not on topic. The majority of the population was recently polled and backed the Govt approach on COVID and general governance.
As with everything, everyone is entitled to a view, but democratically and practically only one outcome is required. Popularity.

There is no winners in the COVID crisis and definitely isn’t the time to try and score political points in such a time.

I back GB and I back our Doctors, Nurses AND Govt ministers. So does the vast majority of the public in a time of crisis.

That is all that matters - that we get though this time. And quit running our country down and those with in it running and governing it. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #876497 5th Jan 2021 10:14pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hey Steven, I was just pointing Greeni in the right direction.

How is the audio install going? WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #876502 5th Jan 2021 10:28pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Well, this is good, at least I've got discussion going, 14 or 15 posts ... all good.
Supacat. Our vaccinations haven't started yet, they will get underway in March. Our Govt is making sure that all vaccines they use are proven safe and effective.
Joe, I still don't think you get it, but you are entitled to your opinion, as we all are. I don't know why, for the second time, you mention Martin shutting down the thread?....why would he do that? This is an important matter. It is a lot more than "just a virus". Masks, "hilarious"?..Yeah, I guess they do look a bit funny, they did to me at first, but not any more. "Lockdown"?..Yes we did have one, a big one,...which has enabled us, albeit with some restrictions, to get back to a "Covert Normal". For 6 months all we could do with our cars was drive them around the block every couple of weeks to keep the battery charged etc,....Aussie is a BIG place, but we were not allowed to drive anywhere, or be away from our home without an allowed reason. And we all had to do it, no exceptions.
Thanks Greeni for your input. Yeah, masks are important, VERY important. And look, when they were first introduced, I was skeptical, I found them hard to accept, but not now, in public places, I would feel "naked" without one! Aussies have accepted them very well. Early on, there were those who WOULDN'T accept them, WOULDN'T wear them. Never hear much of that now, because everyone's got the message. Social distancing is also going well,...all our shops have directional spacing markings which stop people from getting too close.
This thing is just so infectious,...AND IT WILL NOT GO AWAY BY ITSELF. Everyone has to do the right thing, self distance, wear a mask, use hand sanitizer etc,...obey the rules.
We are still definitely not rid of this, we have a test match & tennis open that will have to operate with strict "rules" and the Australian Grand Prix, which was cancelled last year, looks like being postponed.
Just after Christmas, just one case, created by a driver who caught the disease from an infected passenger who was being taken to quarantine, has generated another "outbreak" causing all our States to shut their borders with each other, and thousands of contact tracers, health workers, Police, now being again involved in tracing & testing thousands of people, Victoria alone testing over 30.000 a day, with other states testing similarly as well. Testing is the only way to find the disease, and when a positive result is found, that person has to go self isolate for 14 days, and name all those with whom they've been in contact so that they can be tested too,....it is a massive task.
Once again, I'm no expert, just trying to explain how infectious this is, and describe some of the restrictions we had to endure to combat it. Thank goodness vaccines should be available to all soon.
Pickles.
Post #876529 5th Jan 2021 11:52pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hi there!

Here in Chile the things are not going as we like.

After the first wave in our winter (July) with a peak 6,700 cases per day we were able to reduce the numbers to 1,300 cases, but based in an almost complete lockdown from March to May and a weekend lockdown and travel prohibition until August.

We were able to open restaurants and other activities that were closed and back in certain way to the "normal" life.

The government goal in this stage was to establish a self care scheme using mask, social distancing and hand washing to avoid to get big numbers.

Regrettably, a lot of people were not follows the instructions. People without mask or making parties, christmas and new year meetings or gather with friends/family without care (latin way, you know: is my family/friends why I should use social distancing or mask?). Also the vaccine news and the start of the vaccination program here, had a sort of impact in reducing the personal security measures, but to be effective you must have 70-80% of the population vaccinated and probably this will not occur until June-July.

The result: Cases going up again at lower pace but steadily, and now we have 2,500 cases per day (we are in summer) and probably will be increasing during the next days. So we come back to the weekend lock and travel prohibition. At this pace, the second wave in fall/winter will be a huge one with a complete lockdown with all the economic troubles that produces (hope not).

Take care guys, this is not a flu or influenza its worst in special for the older ones.
Wear your mask
Clean your hands
Keep the social distancing
Get vaccine

Cheers! Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #876539 6th Jan 2021 1:16am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Joe the Plumber wrote:
Our two failed lockdowns are proof of that.

What criteria are you using to judge them as failures?

This study, which is one of the largest studies in the country, mirror's several others in suggesting the opposite:

"In summary, the lockdown in England during the second wave of the COVID-19 epidemic has
been accompanied by a reduction in prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 nationally. This has helped to
offset the large rises in prevalence observed during October 2020."

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/lat...-published
Post #876544 6th Jan 2021 6:33am
Supacat

custom90steve wrote:
The majority of the population was recently polled and backed the Govt approach on COVID and general governance.

What poll was that?

The ones I have seen all suggest the complete opposite. As an example:

Click image to enlarge

http://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/publ...s-pandemic
Post #876545 6th Jan 2021 6:42am
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Supacat wrote:
Joe the Plumber wrote:
Our two failed lockdowns are proof of that.

What criteria are you using to judge them as failures?[/url]

The fact that we've had two of them, and they haven't worked as we're now having another one.

If they worked, as promised by Boris and his two useful idiots, there would be no need for more.

The only way we'll get out of this is when we've achieved herd immunity, either through enough people catching it (and we're certainly having a good go at that at present) or possibly by vaccination (but only if you think a rushed-out vaccine, with no data on possible long term side effects is the solution).

Pickles, Martin quite rightly tries (I believe) to keep things on here non-political. And there's a lot of politics in this, hence my fear we would stray too far into that. The UK's way of reporting "Covid" deaths is the one that really annoys me. I know of two people included in the figures who had it when they died, but it didn't kill them. If that's typical, how can you trust any figures?

I'm afraid I diagree with the Australian way of dealing with the virus as it's just going to keep coming back if you keep hiding away from it, for the reasons outlined above.

I must add I don't buy into any of the ridiculous conspiracy theories (Bill Gates/'Great Reset', etc).

But hey, I'm only a plumber.

That's me done on this thread.

(Edited to put a " ) " in the right place)

Last edited by Joe the Plumber on 6th Jan 2021 10:27am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #876551 6th Jan 2021 7:51am
Supacat

Try reading this and see if you can go along with any of the points it makes:

https://fullfact.org/health/can-we-believe-lockdown-sceptics/

On your lockdown point in particular :

Joe the Plumber wrote:
The fact that we've had two of them, and they haven't worked as we're now having another one.

If they worked, as promised by Boris and his two useful idiots, there would be no need for more.

"If you agree that Covid-19 spreads through contact with an infected person (which it does), then it is hard to see how banning human contact could fail to reduce the spread."
Post #876554 6th Jan 2021 8:34am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It seems to me that the lockdowns worked, the mistake was lifting them, and an even bigger mistake was allowing the absurd free-for-all over Christmas.

The current lockdown is not the result of lockdowns not working, rather the result of lockdowns being lifted prematurely.
Post #876580 6th Jan 2021 10:59am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
blackwolf,...yes you are correct, lockdowns do work, they are probably the only thing, when correctly carried out, that does work.
Politics, Joe mentions Politics,....really there should be NO Politics in this, not for people that wanna fix this thing, which is FAR bigger than Politics,....we've got various Political parties in Aussie, and of course there are small differences, but nothing of any substance relative to the Virus, because we all just wanna get on top of it,....there's been fantastic agreement everywhere.
Herd immunity is rubbish, hasn't worked anywhere.
So yes, I see Boris is finally going to have a SERIOUS lockdown. It will be tough for everyone, but if everyone does what they're told, (we got fined if we didn't), it WILL work. Until a strong, comprehensive vaccination program is up & running, a lockdown is the only thing that has been proven to work,.....if rigidly adhered to.
As has been mentioned, masks, social distancing, sanitizer use, keep your distance. My wife says, "if we keep to ourselves it can't get to us",....it sounds simple but if everyone gives it a go, it will make a difference.
I shall keep an eye on the media to see how you guys go.
Keep safe, Pickles
Post #876589 6th Jan 2021 11:41am
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
The imposition of lockdown and complying with lockdown are two entirely different things.

Rather than the Government, I blame the people. Neutral
Post #876595 6th Jan 2021 12:19pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
rockster57 wrote:
... I blame the people. ...

Nail ... head !
Post #876600 6th Jan 2021 12:35pm
Supacat

Only partly true ~ the lack of leadership willing to make the hard decisions and set firm rules has a big role in this.

"The prime minister has been reluctant to set rules for fighting the coronavirus, counting on people to behave responsibly. That approach hasn’t worked."

"Instead, his Conservative government used words such as “guidelines” and “advice,” putting the onus on the public to, as he said, “do the right thing.”

" But his reluctance to impose further restrictions also stems from his belief that Britons can and should police themselves. Infamous for his own messy private life, Johnson doesn’t want to tell them what to do with theirs. “Boris is very much a libertarian, and that’s his instincts,” says Major, co-author of a new book, What Do We Know and What Should We Do About Social Mobility? And it’s not just Johnson. “This isn’t a right vs. left debate,” Major says. “It’s a different dimension of political belief. It’s how much you want state intervention and rules vs. freedom. You get people both on the left and right who adhere to that” idea of the government giving orders."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/20...-t-working
Post #876634 6th Jan 2021 1:51pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
I hear what you say Supacat but I'm yet not persuaded. Whether guidelines, advice or law, we still rely on people to do the right thing. I am convinced that legislating to make specific behaviours around covid illegal would do little to help. The courts and prisons are full of people who have chosen not abide by the laws we already have in place to try maintain a well run, safe, ordered society.

Where I feel PM Johnson is weak is in his reluctance to condemn those who fail to heed advice, guidance and rules. His press conferences and announcements always seem to include his thanks and praise for the public for doing the right thing. And yet we all see and hear of so many who don't! Why doesn't he speak from the hip and express condemnation for those who will not comply? He could do this and at the same time thank those who are more public spirited. The un-cooperative lot never seem to criticised. Of course, if he were to take this course, he would also have to be critical of those closer to him who have erred!
Post #876731 6th Jan 2021 8:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 24 of 35 <123 ... 232425 ... 333435>