↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Ford Bronco - Getting Closer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 16 of 21 <123 ... 151617 ... 192021>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Defender is pretty wide but the Bronco makes it look small.

Defender’s biggest problem is Gerry, he hasn’t a clue what customers might want out of their vehicle. So long as somewhere it looks similar to a Velar he’s happy. And what Gerry says goes and we all have to live with it. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #914777 30th Jul 2021 4:53pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
I think there’s an overemphasis on how much sway he might have had on product planning (even if he is now on the board) - and Frascella was design lead for the Velar and the Defender (and Discovery and Discovery Sport, and new Evoque).
Post #914781 30th Jul 2021 5:06pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
It's not the most fascinating watch, but what I found intriguing is how seriously Gerry rates himself and puts down others ~ I might be paraphrasing but this interview includes him saying "I like him, he does want I want".

He's on record as describing himself as " the spiritual leader for the brand". I wonder how different it would have been if Nick Rogers had got the top job:

Tim in Scotland wrote:

Does a tape measure bear that out in terms of wheel track or is it more an illusion of the Bronco's flatter panels?
Post #914786 30th Jul 2021 5:26pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
1970's Bond villain.
Post #914815 30th Jul 2021 8:03pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Supacat wrote:

Tim in Scotland wrote:

Does a tape measure bear that out in terms of wheel track or is it more an illusion of the Bronco's flatter panels?

From the manufacturer websites :

Bronco, mirrors folded, 192.8 cm, mirrors out, 219.0 cm
Defender, mirrors folded 200.8 cm, mirrors out, 210.5 cm
Post #914816 30th Jul 2021 8:34pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
What I still can't grasp is why Tata haven't replaced all the management. Do they really feel they are doing a good job? Evidently so. But unless sales pick up considerably (and profits) as I linked to sometime earlier, JLR is going to drag Tata down with them. It's going to be a mess.

I feel JLR could benefit greatly with a baby Defender, I think it would be a great seller, and I know they have looked at the project. But even then they will probably overprice it and try to make it up-market too far. I have serious doubts about that baby now, given their latest statements on challenging Bentley! Laughingly-so. Rolling Eyes I wouldn't buy shares in JLR. This is annual global sales revenue for the past 11 years year-ending (2021 on the right)

Click image to enlarge

and profits...

Click image to enlarge

Sorry I can't add the data, you can try on the following link, but it appears to be paywalled for some.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/386886...l-revenue/ Now left.
Post #914818 30th Jul 2021 8:42pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
diduan wrote:
Philip wrote:
35”s are big tyres which inevitably bring compromises elsewhere - not an issue for a single-use weekend toy like the Bronco, but that’s not what their Defender is.

Times are changing😉, trails get tougher.
35" is not a big tyre anymore, but a tyre most daily drive on their vehicles.

That being said, the bronco would be a perfect weekend warrior I would be happy to drive every day.

One of the Ford factory team drivers that raced the Bronco at this years King Of The Hammers has already worked with Ford to produce an after market kit to take a 40 inch tyre.

The bigger the tyre the better it can be aired down to aid rock crawling, protect the suspension and your back. Nitto's can be run with no air in them at all (with beadlocks). normally to break them in when new before a race.
Post #914825 30th Jul 2021 10:27pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
40"?!? That's going to be a big suspension lift! Now left.
Post #914830 30th Jul 2021 10:54pm
Supacat

What puddle? wrote:
I have serious doubts about that baby now, given their latest statements on challenging Bentley!

It's a hard comparison, whilst Bentley are doing well at the moment, the volume is very different to JLR's:

Bentley posts 2021 half-year profits that were higher than any full year in company history

Click image to enlarge

"The British brand recorded an operating profit of €178m (£151m) as it bounced back from a difficult pandemic-hit year."

"For the first half of this year, however, revenue was up to €1.32bn (£1.1bn) with a record return on sales of 13 per cent."

"Sales were split evenly across the firm’s three models, with the Bentayga selling 2,767 units, the Continental GT shifting 2,318 units, and the Flying Spur 2,063 units.

There was a similarly even split in the firm’s most popular sales regions, with the Americas and China, Hong Kong and Macau both seeing just over 2,000 sales each. Europe followed behind in third with 1,142."

The message is very similar to what Bollore is saying:

" Adrian Hallmark, Bentley’s chairman and CEO, said: ‘These results are an important milestone on our mission Beyond100, namely to become the leading sustainable luxury mobility company by 2030.

‘They are the outcome of favourable market conditions, combined with three years of hard work within Bentley, where we have reinvented our products, restructured our operations, managed three crises, and defined our 2030 strategy.

‘We have worked relentlessly to transform our entire organisation through productivity improvements and cost efficiencies, and the double-digit return on sales is validation that we are on the right path to enable a sustainable business model.’"

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/be...ory/229374
Post #914845 31st Jul 2021 7:13am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
That TFL video is not a little embarrassing for LR and I’d agree with Diduan, the Defender looks completely out of place. But then any SUV would. Fortunately, despite London’s famous potholes, there aren’t many city centre roads that are that challenging, nor would you normally find a school, Waitrose, football training ground or nightclub up there. Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #914859 31st Jul 2021 9:08am
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
One Ford dealer here in Luxembourg has imported 2 dozens of Broncos directly from FORD USA, all the same specs and colors. All priced at 58000 €.
Couldn't drive one but looks all plastic inside. Plus the dealer told me Broncos for EU will come next year with Diesel engines, but definetly won't have all the options available as in the US as EU regulations and laws forbid many options, like half doors etc. (like the one on the picture here)

Click image to enlarge
 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)
Post #915651 5th Aug 2021 5:39pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Bronco holds its own - against a $100,000 much-modified Defender and a much-modified Wrangler.

Now left.
Post #915687 5th Aug 2021 9:04pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
From Lite Bride’s channel

Loren Healy’s Bronco on 37’s and a stage one protype suspension upgrade taking on the Rubicon trail.

I have mentioned it before that he is one of the Ford factory drivers on the King of the Hammers race series and has been working with Ford to develop aftermarket products with the end result being 40’s with coil overs. For reference see the Ranger Raptor that Ford gave him to work his magic.

Can you imagine JLR giving a Defender to someone like Devon 4x4 and saying ‘get on with it guys……’

Oh, and compare the size of the rocks to TFL and their Defender experience…. Rolling with laughter
Post #916319 10th Aug 2021 11:46am
Supacat

markb110 wrote:
Can you imagine JLR giving a Defender to someone like Devon 4x4 and saying ‘get on with it guys……’

Isn't that what Bowler should be for?
Post #916320 10th Aug 2021 12:00pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
Don’t think they need Bowler to make clown cars.
Post #916321 10th Aug 2021 12:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 16 of 21 <123 ... 151617 ... 192021>