↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Ford Bronco - Getting Closer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 20 of 21 <123 ... 192021>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Good video. Jonny says that Clive Sutton will sell you the various models with the price reaching up to £80k. Given the Wildtrak, the most expensive model, starts at $47k or £34k (taxed) so how the F do they get to £80k even factoring in freight (£5k per car if you do it DIY, so what do CS have to pay?), some duty, some mods to to the LED and a 3-year warranty? Close on 100% profit if what Jonny says is right. Good to see a stealer hard at work to fleece the consumer again. Shocked

Interesting that he also comments on the allen and hex head bolts on the trim. The difference is that the Bronco’s are there to be used for modification, the Defender to make the user think they’re all roughty toughty and outsdoorsy.

Still want that two door. In orange raging around that rocky desert, just looks mental fun.

Fingers crossed they’ll come to the EU by 2023. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #936075 3rd Jan 2022 7:41am
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
If Jonny’s figures are correct, I am surprised the Bronco is not as wide as ND - it certainly looks wider!
Not surprised however by the premium being asked for it, there are plenty who can & will pay £££ for the latest toy. I hope that if it ever comes to UK RHD from Ford it is less than this.
And I get the comparison to the ND & Merc’s interior quality, but only at the current asking price. In the States it’s loads cheaper so the plastics are fine. I wish the ND was less luxurious & therefore less expensive than it is!
Post #936098 3rd Jan 2022 11:56am
Grenadier

Your exactly right Ads. The Bronco has a 1-year waiting list in the US exactly because it is so affordable. Comparing with a Merc and ND is like comparing apples and pears. What’s more, whilst it was a generally fair appraisal, Jonny misses the point of the Bronco. It is clearly and entirely aimed at people who want to have fun in it, and was stated as such by Callum and Ford. That could be off road, modifying, going surfing, skiing or mountain biking etc, it’s most certainly not aimed at people who want to hit the tarmac and head to the nearest shopping mall. It’s price point allows it to do that in an ever growing US adventure market. Land Rover went completely the other way, and whilst it can do all those things (just like many of its competitors can to a greater or lesser degree) it’s target market - whatever it says publicly - is exactly that pointed out by Jonny. Wealthy urban. The cars are different beasts, for different people and for different uses.

On price, you’re also bang on. Still a shame though. But, if you look at how mentally good value the Mustang is in the UK, it would suggest the UK RRP for the Bronco could be similarly reasonable. Perhaps they’re nervous for the reasons I’ve mentioned above and don’t feel we have quite the same taste for, or access to, a genuine outdoor lifestyle. Yes we can do some MTB in the Surrey Hills, some kayaking in Wales, some surfing off Cornwall, some skiing in Scotland and some beaching in Northern Ireland, but it’s fairly limited and the weather fairly mixed. Would a stripped back, doors off, soft top work in the UK?

I spend a lot of time in Spain and would happily drive around in a two door without roof or doors. Indeed I would also here in the Alps. Plus Southern Europe has loads of space (albeit not quite the USA) to explore. But not the crowded, congested, polluted UK. Further, 95% of the UK population live in large towns, urban centres and cities. Not quite the same as the wilds of the US or Canada. Just wondering if that’s the reason Ford have been nervous about a UK release? Or less ‘nervous’, more they don’t see the value in a making a RHD car for what may be tiny unit numbers sold. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #936100 3rd Jan 2022 12:45pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
In many ways new Bronco is similar to the latest Jeep Wrangler which is available as a RHD in the UK.
I think they are dropping the 2 door Wrangler though.

The trouble with the Wrangler is that a lot of the bolt on goodies are not widely available in the UK so it's a case of organising the importation yourself. The vehicle isn't cheap either, but still a lot less than a ND with any of the desirable off road enhancement options.

The Wrangler hard top is easily removed to fit a full soft top and the latest soft top design makes it much easier and quicker to fold down or put back up in our unpredictable UK weather.
The doors are also designed for quick removal and the windscreen folds flat if required.

Unfortunately my Wrangler owning experience made JLR reliability look good. The problems were made worse by the appalling back up from Jeep UK and the two Fiat/Jeep/Alfa dealerships who seemed unable to rectify the simplest of faults without multiple return visits. So I bailed out just before the warranty expired. A real shame really as the Wrangler ticked all the boxes for me as a replacement for my Defender 110 XS Station Wagon.

If Bronco ever makes it to the UK, then I just hope Ford can crack the reliability and dealer support issues that plagued my Jeep experience.
Post #936106 3rd Jan 2022 1:32pm
Tim in Scotland

Grenadier, UK isn’t the only place that drives on the proper side of the road - Japan, South Africa, Aussie, Kiwi Singapore and many of the former colonies still know which is the proper side to drive on……… I’m sure that Ford has sales centres in those places that could sell a RHD version. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #936111 3rd Jan 2022 2:49pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 

Not convinced by the low rent interior.
Post #936115 3rd Jan 2022 3:20pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Google suggests 35% of world population drives on the left. I suspect the spending power of that 35% also comes in to the decision on whether or not to offer a RHD version.

I would happily consider a SWB convertible that had a hard-top to mount for the 90% of our year, at a more affordable price and some nice tough plastics. I just wish it had a LR badge on it, and had a nod to LR's heritage.
I still hold out hope for a ND-lite, aimed more at the leisure market. I get that LR aren't interested in the utility market, but I'm concerned they also have no interest (or see no profit margins) in leisure either now they've gone all luxury.
Post #936119 3rd Jan 2022 3:59pm
Grenadier

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Grenadier, UK isn’t the only place that drives on the proper side of the road - Japan, South Africa, Aussie, Kiwi Singapore and many of the former colonies still know which is the proper side to drive on……… I’m sure that Ford has sales centres in those places that could sell a RHD version.

Very true Tim, very true. Not to mention most of SE Asia, a third of Southern Africa and of course India. Although I appreciate that a $30k+ car might be beyond most of those nationalities. But I can certainly see this hitting a beach in Oz or heading into the wilds of NZ and SA. Singapore, not so sure. And Japan is an extremely tough market for foreign cars, arguably the toughest. And talking of Japan, would the Bronco sell in large enough numbers in SA, NZ and Oz when factoring in Japanese 4x4 might in those markets. The Defender didn’t despite 70 years of history in those markets, could Bronco. Although in Oz the Ranger has been slowly creeping up the charts and is now the second best selling Ute, so who knows?

Personally I don’t care, as I live in a left hand drive market now, despite my appealing to the French government to swap all the roads over to right hand drive. Rolling with laughter Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #936120 3rd Jan 2022 4:07pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Grenadier, UK isn’t the only place that drives on the proper side of the road - Japan, South Africa, Aussie, Kiwi Singapore and many of the former colonies still know which is the proper side to drive on……… I’m sure that Ford has sales centres in those places that could sell a RHD version.

I believe that it is still the case that the majority of the world's drivers drive on the correct side, although the majority of the world's countries sadly do not. Those countries which do have more drivers than those which don't.

Then there are places like Malta where they drive in the shade!
Post #936148 3rd Jan 2022 7:01pm
Grenadier

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/f...aptor.html Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #939346 25th Jan 2022 9:35am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
for a moment there I thought I was looking at leaf springs:

Click image to enlarge
Post #939354 25th Jan 2022 9:58am
blackwolf

Hairy Dan wrote:
Jonny Smith's verdict on the Bronco

What's going on with the front lights when he's driving in traffic? I get that parts of the front lights are the indicators, but in "white" mode they seem to be turning on and off randomly.
Post #939366 25th Jan 2022 10:37am
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Many modern cars turn off the DRL’s when you indicate so you can see turn light clearly.

Also, when you have the headlights on they turn on the appropriate front fog light when turning.
Post #939385 25th Jan 2022 11:44am
blackwolf

I understand turning off the long thin DRL thing to enable the indicator, but it is the way that the they flashed pseudo-randomly and seemingly alternately white at times in normal driving that puzzled me. I did wonder if it was mimic the adbsurd "steering-fog-light" concept, but they are not "fog" lights and there wasn't much going on in the way of steering at the time.

Very odd and pointless. I did wonder if it was an electrical fault arising from the adaptation work to make it importable.
Post #939387 25th Jan 2022 11:54am
Piggy501

Scotland 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Arrow Red
I wouldn't be surprised if that was an effect of the camera rather than an issue with the vehicle - I'm sure if it was visible to the naked eye, it would have been mentioned.
Post #939397 25th Jan 2022 1:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 20 of 21 <123 ... 192021>