Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #916323 10th Aug 2021 12:52pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
Really though - all that’s about is massive tyres at low pressure and very low cross-axle roll stiffness via low spring rates and/or no ARBs - good at driving over giant boulders (very useful in the U.K.), but absolutely terrible at everything else.
Post #916325 10th Aug 2021 1:10pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Americans do drive great distances on 37’ , 40’ and 42’s.

The Lite Brite ‘Stepchild’ on 40’s and a V8 will do 90 mph in comfort.

It’s a US thing. Also many States allow tyres protruding the body work and hence in the Jeep world to go above 37’s they tend to swap to a 1 ton axle, which is also wider.

Again, we in the UK don’t (in general) swap axles or even re-gear the diffs when upping tyre sizes.

And that quote from Loren is gold, Ford have given us off roaders what they want, a platform you can modify.

Simple really…….thanks Gerry Thumbs Up Whistle

Last edited by markb110 on 10th Aug 2021 3:36pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #916351 10th Aug 2021 3:30pm
markb110

Supacat wrote:
markb110 wrote:
Can you imagine JLR giving a Defender to someone like Devon 4x4 and saying ‘get on with it guys……’

Isn't that what Bowler should be for?

I would have said yes…….but the association feels more speed related due to their heritage, not the low speed pace most of us enjoy in the real world across Salisbury Plain and other byways across the country

Low profile tyres, what can you say. Did you see that scene between the two rocks where the Nitto tyre folded back on itself….try that with a 22…. Laughing
Post #916352 10th Aug 2021 3:35pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
markb110 wrote:

And that quote from Loren is gold, Ford have given us off roaders what they want, a platform you can modify

The platform is simple budget pickup, a version of the next Ranger - maybe those kind of toys make sense in the States, but over here, with corners and roundabouts and narrow roads, it would just be an unpleasant experience that looks camper than a row of tents.
Post #916357 10th Aug 2021 3:40pm
diduan

Bulgaria 
Philip wrote:
Really though - all that’s about is massive tyres at low pressure and very low cross-axle roll stiffness via low spring rates and/or no ARBs - good at driving over giant boulders (very useful in the U.K.), but absolutely terrible at everything else.

Again, times are changing. Offroad ARBs are the big thing now, allowing great flex on the rocks and surprisingly good on road roll stiffness. Low spring rates are the next big thing. The idea is to generate dynamic force using the damper for additional support. The concept works great for dual purpose rigs - daily driver/ weekend rock crawler. It isn't terrible at all.

The bronco on 37s won't need this, but only a mild lift and you can have a very capable rig, that is also a great road car.

Edit: I didn't think about axles...if it has the dana44 I wouldn't go any bigger than 35". Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #916361 10th Aug 2021 4:01pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
Times may be changing, but physics isn’t - there always going to be a trade-off in a passive set-up.
Post #916369 10th Aug 2021 4:49pm
diduan

Bulgaria 
I think I must give up here.🍻 Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #916374 10th Aug 2021 5:23pm
markb110

Philip

Can you please do us all a favour and sit and watch 10 hours of the main King of the Hammers event in Johnston Valley.

These ‘systems’ are capable of 100 mph through the desert, then race over rocks, then rock crawl for lap after lap.

Why do you continue to belittle others yet I have not seen any evidence that you are someone ‘who does’, just talks.

We all know that we can’t have the same set up as they have in America, partly laws, partly terrain but in the whole Land Rover does not want to attract our kind anymore.

But guess what, we can dream. We can bemoan a company that still trades on its long ( and fading) past and capabilities but offers no enthusiasm or support or passion for people like me and many others on this forum who actually like to get our tyres dirty, who count the scratches with pride.

If you have never taken part in a winch challenge events, a British Army Navigation events, never spent a day up to you knees in water winching the paying public out of a hole, never organised a 200 mile navigation event for a club on Salisbury Plain, then to be honest. I / we just don’t care. And yes, I’ve done all of the above.

The rest of us don’t get excited about speed humps and Tesco’s car parks, we are too busy having our own adventures in our own way and dreaming of the next one.
Post #916380 10th Aug 2021 6:10pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
markb110 wrote:
Low profile tyres, what can you say. Did you see that scene between the two rocks where the Nitto tyre folded back on itself….try that with a 22…. Laughing

I enjoyed that. Thumbs Up

Mighty impressive setup and loved the simple, slow and calm way it raised and lowered itself over the obstacles.

And those tyres... Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #916392 10th Aug 2021 7:07pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Philip, can you just tell us if you work for JLR - it would make sense. And I don't think referring to any vehicle as camp is very grown up, to be honest. The singer, Will Young, is a huge Defender fan. Means nothing, does it? Now left.
Post #916393 10th Aug 2021 7:08pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
markb110 wrote:
Can you please do us all a favour and sit and watch 10 hours of the main King of the Hammers event in Johnston Valley.

These ‘systems’ are capable of 100 mph through the desert, then race over rocks, then rock crawl for lap after lap.

King of the Hammers has about as much relevance to a regular roadgoing Bronco (or Defender) as Baja does to Barnsley, great engineering, cool to watch - but you might as well bemoan the fact that your new 720S won’t pull 5g like an F1 car does.
Post #916428 10th Aug 2021 10:30pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
To get back on topic... more from Ford:

Click image to enlarge

Overland Expo (@OverlandExpo) Tweeted:
To celebrate SEMA’s return, Ford just announced that four custom Broncos and two Bronco Sport SUVs will make their debut in booth #22200 at SEMA to demonstrate the endless possibilities for enhancing and personalizing your own Bronco build.
https://t.co/tFEQWlA1dU https://t.co/MvxCupuDYV https://twitter.com/OverlandExpo/status/1452281190300491791?s=20

“Bronco and Bronco Sport customers love parts and accessories that emphasize performance and off-road lifestyle, so we worked closely with Bronco design and vehicle engineering to deliver the products to match their individual lifestyle,” said Eric Cin, Ford global director, vehicle personalization, accessories and licensing. “Since the reveal last year, we’ve expanded the line to more than 350 Bronco and Bronco Sport parts and accessories and growing.”

https://www.overlandexpo.com/compass/2021/...d-broncos/

Imagine if JLR had that level of confidence...

Curious to know more about:

"The Bronco-specific 17 x 8.5-inch Method 703 Bead Grip® wheels are made from solid T6 heat-treated A356 aluminum with patented Bead Grip technology for increased tire bead security when running at lower pressures off-road."

Post #926958 24th Oct 2021 3:49pm
markb110

Yes, that Method wheel looks very interesting.

Almost had to take a lay down when I read the quote…… Embarassed

For the US off road market bead locks are definitely a thing due to the low pressures they run, the Nitto Trail Grapplers can be run at zero PSI due to the strength of the side walls……..however not many States actually allow bead locks on the road, they just get away with it.

Maybe Method have come up with a solution, that’s legal, with the full backing of Ford.

And this is a good thing for the consumer, as well as giving Ford the confidence that their customers will use the product responsibly but still allowing choice and above all fun.

Thumbs Up
Post #926980 24th Oct 2021 6:39pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I swear I saw a Bronco on the road in the UK not long ago, looked like the smaller version and partially disguised. If it wasn't a Bronco it was very similar! 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #927233 26th Oct 2021 6:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 17 of 21 <123 ... 161718 192021>