Home > Off Topic > Ford Bronco - Getting Closer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 15 of 21 <123 ... 141516 ... 192021>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
J77 wrote:
First there would be a debate on what colour said paint should be Laughing

Inevitably at some point someone would make a comment that they like synthetic coach enamel paint in deep bronze green, whereupon they would face a barrage of abuse from someone who says modern paint systems are better in every respect and for every purpose, and there's nothing that can be done with DBG synth enamel that can't be done better and quicker with a water-based micatallic pastel, and anyone who thinks otherwise must come from a distant galaxy to be so wrong. Rolling with laughter

Still, diversity is all part of life's colourful pageant and everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I hope this post will be taken in the humorous vein in which it is intended.
Post #910229 1st Jul 2021 12:20am
Philip

United Kingdom 
No idea why LR don’t offer some “heritage” colours, I’d certainly go for something like Bronze Green.
Post #910233 1st Jul 2021 12:45am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
In all seriousness, I'd say due to lack of demand for it from their target demographic. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #910239 1st Jul 2021 5:37am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I read an article about the need to multiply the number of colour changes on their paint lines sees car manufacturers waste thousands of litres of paint every year. Each colour change wastes 40cc of paint per gun. Reducing colours, reduces paint changes and saves them money.
Post #910241 1st Jul 2021 6:50am
diduan

Bulgaria 
We have some guys with Nivas in our hunting club, and they are very far from good offroaders. The real advantage of Niva is it is light and 5-6 guys can pull it out of trouble...or a Dafender👍
Niva seriously lacks power to turn wheels bigger than stock. Its ground clearance is poor, diffs are very weak, it overheats and so on. The Niva indeed comes from long past times, but it cannot be upgraded to do the job that easy as Japan trucks or LR can.

Bronco designers on the other hand have taken note on what people do to their 4x4s to make them capable and offer this from the factory. So does Wrangler. I respect this. Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #910242 1st Jul 2021 7:41am
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Personally, I think Ford have done a really good job with the bronco. The fact that you can have the Sasquatch package with front & rear lockers plus 35’s on every model is a really good move.

Even a 4 door Badlands spec, with the Sasquatch package (with front swaybar disconnect), 2.7 engine, 10 speed auto and the mid package comes in at equivalent of £42K with destination charges and ~9% sales tax inc.

The Defender in the US doesn’t get anywhere near that, and I know which one I’d pick to take off road.
Post #910260 1st Jul 2021 10:36am
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
You cannot engineer-in old car character. Again - you cannot engineer-in old car character. Old cars have flaws and idiosyncrasies and differences and failings - "character" -when judged against modern standards. New cars should not be deliberately engineered to hobble their abilities. The new G Class is an embarrassment, a sad parody of the original, with absolutely zero conceptual integrity - a car wilfully made worse solely because its manufacturer didn't know how to replace it; it will never have any commercial, professional or military derivative to attempt to warrant its antique build. Emperor's New Clothes - a very expensive joke at its owners' expense.

Im going to have to disagree with you here, have you driven a new (or indeed any?) G class at all on or off road?

- new G is a bloody superb bit of kit, evolution not revolution in process- it is pricey though.

They have managed to embody a lot of the old G-Class-ness into a more modern package, there are from memory 9 shared components from the previous generations.

Ride and handling it is streets ahead of W463, in fact a lot of car companies ought to borrow one and drive it as it demonstrates absolutely superbly that you can have a relatively heavy, large vehicle on coils and a beam axle at the back end and make it ride and drive well both on and off road.....

Ergonomically it is fractionally larger than W463- 110mm width, making the cabin more spacious, it has all the same luxury bits as you would find in an S-class too.

Critically- it still maintains the build quality and fit and finish that made the old G special, as well as having cross axle difflocks, decent ground clearance and a cracking engine and gearbox combination.

They are still tested in the same rigorous manner too.

As for 'never having any utility or military derivative'.......you can still buy a W461, or a W463 in Professional, or military specifications, made in the same facility, by the same people, you can even buy the equivalent of special vehicle builds as fire appliances, cherry pickers, chassis cabs etc.

They are all just part of the same family, exactly the same as a Discovery, Defender or Full Fat Range rover.

G- Class is very much the "halo" brand it has always been, and Mercedes-Benz are justifiably proud of it, they could have killed it a few years ago rather than re-engineering it, but they didn't, if it was embarrassment (R-Class anyone?) it would have been binned long ago, its only fairly recently they have announced that they are committing to Electric versions?!

Im pretty excited about the Bronco as well, if it comes to the UK it will no doubt be popular in the same way as the Suzuki Jimny- demand massively outstripped supply.

Purely my opinion, but I think that JLR really missed an opportunity to do something really special and make another properly GREAT car with new Defender. The new one is good, but it doesn't stand out like it ought to have and is essentially the same tech from the rest of the range in a new body with a few gimmicks chucked at it to get folk excited- like having a peli case bolted on the side and wade assist.

In my mind I had hoped for something somewhere in between new Defender and Grenadier.......which is why if I wanted to buy a new, functional 4x4 (that isn't a pickup) for work I would buy a Landcruiser commercial- the only downside being the towing capacity.

Chris
Post #910290 1st Jul 2021 4:01pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
I haven’t driven a new G463, and I don’t really want to (I have sat in one, though, and the interior is as tacky as every other modern Mercedes) - you’d hope it would drive better than the old one, because that’s a pretty low bar. Point is there is no point to its construction - its audience are the kind of people who you wouldn’t want to sit next to at dinner, who essentially use them to go shopping, and wouldn’t know what a diff lock was even if Vuitton sold them. It’s actually even less sophisticated in construction than the X Class was - and reading between the lines in reviews, it’s pretty obvious the chassis isn’t up to the 63 drivetrain.

Think the G461 is military-only now - the Professional models stopped a while back.

Re Land Cruiser Commericals - I don’t mind them, but I can’t think of a reason why you’d take one over a Hard Top, which is a far more capable thing - they’re certainly not as practical inside, and, as you say, they’re half a tonne down in towing capacity. Think you’re getting a lot less for your money.

Anyway, Broncos.
Post #910311 1st Jul 2021 7:56pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
TFL have bought one.

Post #914689 29th Jul 2021 11:59pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
That one video on its own is going to cost the Defender US sales. Now left.
Post #914695 30th Jul 2021 7:50am
diduan

Bulgaria 
New defender looks so much out of place there. Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Post #914700 30th Jul 2021 8:51am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
What puddle? wrote:
That one video on its own is going to cost the Defender US sales.

And so it should. Reminds me of the old saying, if you want to go somewhere take a Land Rover, if you want to come back, take a Toyota.

I said from the outset of development that it needed 33 inch tyres for the US / Australian markets with the ability to move up to a 35 with no suspension changes just as you could with the Jeep Wrangler prior to the announcement of the Bronco which of cause can be specced from the factory with 35’s.

Watch any You Tube channel where they are driving in the back country and airing down is the first thing they do. Not something you can do with a narrow side walled tyre.
Post #914727 30th Jul 2021 12:28pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
35”s are big tyres which inevitably bring compromises elsewhere - not an issue for a single-use weekend toy like the Bronco, but that’s not what their Defender is.
Post #914739 30th Jul 2021 12:50pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Not TFL, but interesting side by side comparison from Facebook.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #914748 30th Jul 2021 1:14pm
diduan

Bulgaria 
Philip wrote:
35”s are big tyres which inevitably bring compromises elsewhere - not an issue for a single-use weekend toy like the Bronco, but that’s not what their Defender is.

Times are changing😉, trails get tougher.
35" is not a big tyre anymore, but a tyre most daily drive on their vehicles.

That being said, the bronco would be a perfect weekend warrior I would be happy to drive every day. Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Post #914766 30th Jul 2021 3:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 15 of 21 <123 ... 141516 ... 192021>