Home > Off Topic > Boris bans petrol, diesel, hybrids by 2035, 2032 ,2030
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Smilesapart wrote:
Bows wrote:
Personally i can’t understand the obsession with electric vehicles, surely a switch to hydrogen fuel would be far easier, its easy to make hydrogen and as quick to refill as petrol or diesel. The amount of work needed to produce the amount of extra electric needed to charge these vehicles all over the country would be unthinkable. Not to mention the enviromental impaxt it would have, and after all, isn’t that the issue we’re trying to solve??

Well said!! Couldn’t agree more!

Looks like BMW are making strides in this direction:

Click image to enlarge

Autoblog (@therealautoblog) Tweeted:
BMW X5 hydrogen fuel cell version coming by 2022: https://t.co/7hPkme3HrM https://t.co/OOxXyYrax7 https://twitter.com/therealautoblog/status...70534?s=20
Post #845991 25th Jul 2020 7:16pm
Bian Considine

United Kingdom 
Bluest wrote:
National grid are confident their network can cope, and that’s what gets trotted out by The government ifanyone questions the electrical supply. What they never talk about is the local distribution network which is apparently far from being up to the job.

If you want the truth about how the electricity distribution will cope ask a National Grid employee next time you see them working.
Post #846078 26th Jul 2020 8:25am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
I can see only one way electric cars will a viable alternative, and that is to have replaceable batteries. All batteries would have to be a universal standard where you would have to go to a battery changing station rather than a petrol station. You would need an attendant to change them (unless this could be automated). This would allow for an instant"fill up" which would remove the range issue. This would allow for focused charge areas (battery stations), so the infrastructure change would be significantly reduced.

You would still be able to charge at home or at a charge point.

Another thing that this would do is protect the resale value of the vehicle. As batteries would be changed then the deterioration would not be an issue. The rolling cost of battery replacement would be included in the "fill up" cost or as an annual tax. The lower vehicle depreciation would make buying one more viable.

If this was the basis of moving this forward then I feel EVs would be viable. Perhaps the UK could be a leader in this?
Post #846089 26th Jul 2020 9:20am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Bian Considine wrote:
Bluest wrote:
National grid are confident their network can cope, and that’s what gets trotted out by The government ifanyone questions the electrical supply. What they never talk about is the local distribution network which is apparently far from being up to the job.

If you want the truth about how the electricity distribution will cope ask a National Grid employee next time you see them working.

It was an NG employee that told me that, but I guess you are inferring that is not the truth. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #846092 26th Jul 2020 9:28am
Supacat

Mossberg wrote:
I can see only one way electric cars will a viable alternative, and that is to have replaceable batteries. All batteries would have to be a universal standard where you would have to go to a battery changing station rather than a petrol station. You would need an attendant to change them (unless this could be automated). This would allow for an instant"fill up" which would remove the range issue. This would allow for focused charge areas (battery stations), so the infrastructure change would be significantly reduced.

You would still be able to charge at home or at a charge point.

Another thing that this would do is protect the resale value of the vehicle. As batteries would be changed then the deterioration would not be an issue. The rolling cost of battery replacement would be included in the "fill up" cost or as an annual tax. The lower vehicle depreciation would make buying one more viable.

If this was the basis of moving this forward then I feel EVs would be viable. Perhaps the UK could be a leader in this?

Too late for us now...
Supacat wrote:
Another option on extending range for BEVs:

“As of May 26, 2020, NIO Power has completed over 500,000 battery swaps, becoming one of NIO’s most well-received power services.

Nio’s battery swapping system can perform a fully-automatic battery swap in 3 minutes."

Click image to enlarge

https://electrek.co/2020/06/02/nio-battery...000-swaps/

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post834931...nio#834931
Post #846098 26th Jul 2020 9:46am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Potentially good news. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/j...igafactory WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #846107 26th Jul 2020 10:40am
Bian Considine

United Kingdom 
Bluest wrote:

It was an NG employee that told me that, but I guess you are inferring that is not the truth.

He may have been referring to the 132kV lines - the guys I've spoken to (mostly 415v & lower) certainly don't think it's up to it. My Southern Gas Networks neighbour knows a lot of National Grid guys & they are all of the same (unofficial) opinion.

I suppose it depends on the "official" line or the personal & more accurate line.

Certainly, the National Grid cable entering my house cannot provide any additional capacity.
Post #846113 26th Jul 2020 11:30am
Supacat

Zed wrote:
Potentially good news. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/j...igafactory

Excellent news for South Wales Thumbs Up
Post #846122 26th Jul 2020 12:45pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Bian Considine wrote:
Bluest wrote:

It was an NG employee that told me that, but I guess you are inferring that is not the truth.

He may have been referring to the 132kV lines - the guys I've spoken to (mostly 415v & lower) certainly don't think it's up to it. My Southern Gas Networks neighbour knows a lot of National Grid guys & they are all of the same (unofficial) opinion.

I suppose it depends on the "official" line or the personal & more accurate line.

Certainly, the National Grid cable entering my house cannot provide any additional capacity.

National Grid look after the major transmission network, mostly 400kv and above tower lines. They do not operate the distribution network, which deals with the lower voltage links from substations out to local networks and properties. Unless you have a strange setup the cable into your house will be managed by the local Distibution Network Operator and not National Grid. For you in Margate that is likely to be UK Power Networks.
Post #846138 26th Jul 2020 2:36pm
Bian Considine

United Kingdom 
I stand corrected & should have remembered it's UK Power Networks on the lower voltage side.
Post #846173 26th Jul 2020 6:09pm
Supacat

Bian Considine wrote:

What sort of supply would you be wanting though?
Post #846177 26th Jul 2020 6:13pm
Bian Considine

United Kingdom 
My house was built in 1928 when electrical demand was low. The cable conductors look to be 7/044" which is roughly equivalent to 6.0mm2
The incoming voltage goes up & down like a yo, yo, with frequent "brown outs" requiring the installation of a number of UPS units installed throughout the property for sensitive equipment.
Post #846277 27th Jul 2020 2:51am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Based on what I've been told, and my power distribution module at uni, diversity is the big issue. In the UK most homes have a feeder that is somewhere between 60&100A.

A kettle is around 12A,
Electric shower anywhere from 20-40A. This is fine as even 40+12+all the other bits is comfortably under 60.

The issue comes with adding a 32A fast charger onto that, and is compounded by the fact that the kettle runs 3 minutes at a time, the shower maybe 10-20 for a really long shower.

The fast charger is pulling 32A for up to 4, maybe even 6 hours? While the cable into the property is good for 100A, the substation transformer is really only built for a long term average load of 20A per house. Whe. Everyone is trying to charge their car most nights, there will be issues, which will be compounded by the move away from fossil fuel heating in modern properties as well.
Post #846278 27th Jul 2020 3:44am
Supacat

I like the way you lay out your reasoning, but there's one element that I would challenge:

"Everyone is trying to charge their car most nights". Assuming 40kW battery (as in your 4-6 hours charge time), then the vehicle range will be 150 miles plus. Not many people will be doing that range daily. If you look to average range of 30 miles or less per day then average charges will either be less per day or less frequently - maybe just every 5 days.

That's ignoring those that will leave their vehicles plugged in at home when not using them and so not using night time capacity; a further sub-set with solar who will trickle charge; and another with home battery capacity who can modulate charging.
Post #846292 27th Jul 2020 8:48am
Supacat

Bian Considine wrote:
My house was built in 1928 when electrical demand was low. The cable conductors look to be 7/044" which is roughly equivalent to 6.0mm2
The incoming voltage goes up & down like a yo, yo, with frequent "brown outs" requiring the installation of a number of UPS units installed throughout the property for sensitive equipment.

Wow - what size is the meter fuse?
Post #846294 27th Jul 2020 8:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>