↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Boris bans petrol, diesel, hybrids by 2035, 2032 ,2030
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
It's the city and large town drivers that it will hit the most I am sure, fortunately that's not me, but it's how far the zones end up coming out.

Its annoying really, the worst polluters like lorries, fleet trucks and vans that will be the last to adapt electric because of huge mileage and weights of vehicles, but yet someone like me ( and I am sure others on this forum) who does about 5k a year in my Defender will still get penalised for driving a dirty diesel. The answer is it's my choice to have it but its annoying all the same! Mad

Will see what happens.....
Post #813586 4th Feb 2020 6:05pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
As this only effects new vehicles, it'll just push up the value of my Defenders which will run forever Shocked

And if they tax older vehicles off the road you can convert your Defender to full electric. This currently costs around £70k but will hopefully drop as battery/fuel cell technology improves.

Shocked James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #813618 4th Feb 2020 7:49pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I'm curious as to what the Agricultural vehicle ideas will be? Whistle

I haven't seen a real horse power Combine in years. Rolling with laughter Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #813620 4th Feb 2020 7:58pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
I am working on a major town centre redevelopment project at the moment and the Council require certain levels of active and passive electric vehicle charging provision, both in the private and public (shoppers) car parks. The proportion varies depending on whether private or public but the one thing that is clear is that there needs to be a significant reinforcement of the existing supply, including provision of new sub-stations, to deliver the power to charge even 10% of the total number of parking spaces.

Grafty has made a very good point too, what happens in areas where travel is seasonal? – do you reinforce the network to cater for the peak demand, and have it sat idle when not in use, or do you go for a lesser solution and leave hacked off holiday makers queuing to get their turn at the charging point – I can see it now “I told you to charge it up before we left, we’re never going to get to the beach this year now!” all accompanied by kids in the back arguing/asking when it’ll be our turn/screaming/crying/needing the loo/generally doing what bored kids do/etc.

Someone has clearly fired from the hip on this one, although as someone who lives in an area where we still only have GPRS (2G) mobile service I can honestly see the focus being on the larger urban population and those of us living anywhere where we can see fields and trees being left out of site and out of mind!
Post #813624 4th Feb 2020 8:08pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
We all know politicians don’t like to get bogged down in the inconvenient details. Boris can make his grandiose proclamation then leave it for someone else to figure out how to deliver it. And I’m sure it won’t be lost on him that he will be long gone from the top job before the papers grasp that the plan ain’t going to work.

Just add to what VVS210 says about the grid. National grid are confident their network can cope, and that’s what gets trotted out by The government ifanyone questions the electrical supply. What they never talk about is the local distribution network which is apparently far from being up to the job. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #813636 4th Feb 2020 8:36pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Can I suggest that if the government make stupid sweeping new laws that are aimed at crippling town driving folk without giving a thought for us country dwellers, that we take a leaf out of the French book and don’t just take it lying down like us Brits always seem to do!
Post #813641 4th Feb 2020 8:57pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
I jumped on the EV bandwagon 4+ years ago and how things have changed (or not in some cases). Infrastructure is a real problem especially in cities. I bought our BEV as a commute car, when i got it i had the one city centre charge point to myself for nearly a year before another EV started using it. Today its crazy there is still just that one charge point we all get along and share it and leave cables for others to plug in when they leave, I counted 14 BEV and 3 PHEVs parked around the side streets near it the other day!

I like EV and have another (Ipace) on order to replace it. I'm lucky as i don't actually need to charge it on the commute so it doesn't matter if the charger is available or not and i know ill just plug it in at home but for others its a clear problem.

It's going to take some organising.

oh and it's Sheffield I'm talking about. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #813644 4th Feb 2020 9:11pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
But how is this going to work for the 100’s of 1000’s of people living in terraced houses and flats? Often they can’t even get to park anywhere near their homes at the best of times. How are they all going to charge their cars up?
Post #813647 4th Feb 2020 9:20pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
thats the big problem with it, its going to be a real challenge to find a solution for some scenarios. BEV works very well if you can treat it like a mobile phone and just plug it in when you go to bed you never have to think about charge left in the battery (i don't) but clearly that model is impossible for some people. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
Post #813649 4th Feb 2020 9:24pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
The charging problem is easily solved.

Just buy a petrol generator. You can charge your car up anywhere with that.

What...?
Post #813650 4th Feb 2020 9:32pm
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I fear the the Grenadier... Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #813652 4th Feb 2020 9:35pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
our Bev has one under the boot floor, never used it we went for it as it was 4 years ago and range anxiety was a concern think I've put £8 of petrol in it in 2 years Whistle

Still think the idea has some legs in some cases its a brilliant implementation. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
Post #813651 4th Feb 2020 9:35pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
As the idea is to get rid of fossil fuel powered cars, I was actually joking!

And can you imagine how popular you'd be running one outside someone else's house, at least until it was nicked.
Post #813653 4th Feb 2020 9:40pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Smilesapart wrote:
But how is this going to work for the 100’s of 1000’s of people living in terraced houses and flats? Often they can’t even get to park anywhere near their homes at the best of times. How are they all going to charge their cars up?

London will have all the street chargers it needs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-5...-of-london WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #813654 4th Feb 2020 9:47pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
Joe the Plumber wrote:
As the idea is to get rid of fossil fuel powered cars, I was actually joking!

And can you imagine how popular you'd be running one outside someone else's house, at least until it was nicked.

Laughing

Laughing

seriously it has a 600cc BMW 2 stroke driving a generator under the boot floor. Traction battery gets to 3% Range extender kicks in and charges the traction battery (it doesn't drive the wheels) like how Locos work. you can drive it like its stolen and still get full BEV performance and the battery never goes flat. Ours only every kicks in on a maintenance cycle every so often.

Click image to enlarge
 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
Post #813657 4th Feb 2020 9:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>